1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just when all the work had finished....

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Deluxe, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Well, had an eventful day yesterday. Got the van serviced and it's running a dream. All the hard work (and hard earned money) finally paying dividends...and then BANG !! :eek: :eek:

Sitting at the lights - had been still for a couple of minutes waiting for them to change and then this explosion from the back. Sounded like the engine had blown up. I got out and then realised that I'd been rear ended. The dude in the car behinds foot slipped off the brake and onto the accelerator and straight into the back of me.

The guy was apologetic but there was certainly an element of 'it's only a Kombi' and 'you'll just need a new bumper bar'. Got his details and when I got home I looked a little closer and there are dents in the exhaust and paint damage where the bar has pushed onto the metal....grrrrrrr. Also, the paint in the seams has cracked a bit under the pressure. It's gonna be a bit more than just a bumper bar I think - possibly 3-5 panels will need painting to fix and blend and make it back the way it was.

I was following my mate in a Merc that he was dropping off having just finished a very expensive resto. Think it's a good thing I was in a Kombi because a smaller car would've 'dominoed' and flown forwards into the Merc....

[​IMG]

2. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Oh Dave! Looks like a call to Shannons... :(

Glad you were not hurt.

4. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Bloody Murphy at it again!

As you said Dave, lucky it was only a smaller car...

5. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Yeah. Such is life I guess....as you say Mel, nobody hurt.

Not dealt with an accident with a third party before. Do I just contact my insurer and give them his details and they take it from there?

6. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Yes, ring your insurer. They will take the other person's details and let you know what to do. There was no need to call Police as there were no injuries and the vehicle was not towed.... although I am sure you would have liked to inflict some injuries...

7. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Thanks for that. Will give them a buzz when they open on Monday

8. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Really sorry to hear Dave. Something like that is my worst nightmare. Hope it works out well and quickly too.

9. malibu

malibu Member

Hope your claim is hassle-free and back on the road soon.

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Oh Dave...... what a bummer!:cry:

Def use your insurance company to chase up and sort the stuff with the other dude. One of the benefits of comprehensive insurance..;)

11. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

Mate, what a bugger.

Love your exhaust by the way, what type is it?

12. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHH! Very sorry that this happened to you Dave. :(

I've already got my back up (on your behalf) about the 'it's only a Kombi' expression - who gives a stuff about what type of car it is, it's YOUR pride and joy. Grrrr.

I hope Shannons are good to you, and that they replace every little thing that's gone wrong. I think he'll be a little surprised what bumping into 'only a Kombi' can cost him!! :lol:

13. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

Not nice!! :(

But you will have it back on the road again soon and looking just as beautiful!

May your trip through insurance-land be swift and painless.

14. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

How annoying. Doesn't look too bad. New bumper from the bus stop and a bit of paint should fix it. It's just a real inconvenience getting it all sorted.

"foot slipped off the brake" your foot should have slipped off the pavement and kicked him in the arse.

15. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

I feel for you, I had the exact same thing happen with Molly after we had just finished her.

The only thing I can recommend is make sure your insurance company allows you to take it to the same painter for repair. Ours had to go to one of thier choice and after 4 attempts at trying to get the colour right it came close but not perfect :( We have changed insurers since.

I'm sure your mate was happy that you were driving 'only a kombi'.

16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear about the rear ending and hope you get to choose your repairer.

Foot slippped off the brake - Horse Hockey :wtf:

17. Dan_Ling85

Dan_Ling85 Member

I would have killed him!!!
    "just a kombi!!!" yep I would have killed him!!

Sorry 2 see that Dave!
    Dan

18. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Damn Dave, that is bad luck, lucky you weren't at fault and it is covered (just a hassle) "just a kombi"... words do not describe how im feeling about that. what was his car?

Hope all goes smoothly for you dave!

19. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Thanks all for your thoughts and kind words...

I'm with Ken Tame insurance on their CMCA (Campervan & Motorhome Club) policy. So far I've been impressed. They just need 1 quote from my choice of repairer.
    Will let you know how it all plans out.....

Hi Rod - it's a Tangerine system from the States
    http://www.tangerineracing.com/Type4ExhaustHeaders.htm

20. dbs

dbs Member

That's a real downer.... I hope his was something exotic with heaps of technology behind the bumper that never works quite right again and drives him insain.... just a kombi indead.. shove the bumper up his...........

I should go now :(

hope it all goes smoothly Dave.