Kanberra Kombi Kasualties...

Discussion in 'The First national Kombi Club Bus Stop 2007' started by Schmoburger, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Not all was sunshine lollypops and rainbows throughout the trip... there was the odd issue here and there just to make things interesting. :D

The patient list is as follows...

Adrian and Michelle (mish13) - dropped a cylinder pulling into the Sutton Forest Coles Express service center... not the best thing to have happen to any Kombi let alone an automatic one. They got to the camp allright sitting at the head of the convoy.. albeit very slowly up hills. A couple of early rising members got the prob (carb-related it turns out) sorted before the cruise in the morning tho so no further dramas.

John and Christine - melissa got a call during lunch shortly after the Saturday cruise from CHristine saying that they were stranded without a clutch. This I found out from Necro, who enquired as to whether I had a spare cable on board.... which needless to say I did along with every other bit known to man. We gave em a call and told em that all they need do is get a tow to the park and we'd sort it from there. turns out the cable had snapped clean off in the bowden tube after being stretched so far that it had 2 wheel nuts behind the adjusting wingnutnut as spacers! :eek: Me, Woz, and Tom the spanner-wench got to it and had the new cable in in a couple of hours. AFter that we got to trying to get the dodgy Weber carb to idle properly... it had been chugging and stalling when warm. AGain, another hour or so of fiddling with the multitude of screws on the carb and swapping out rotor buttons and adjusting timing and such, it was finally made to run beautifully again... and man did it sound good with that Weber and zorst!

Schmo - Schmo ended up silently suffering with a crook distributor for most of the event... adjusting it no less than 5 times to correct flat spots and stumbles and jerks that would keep appearing at the drop of a hat due to the timing retarding and advancing of it's own accord. Still perservering with it until I get the replacement stock SVDA into BC's ass.
    There was also a slight issue with second and first gears grinding and crunching for no apparent reason that made itself evident on Saturday... then dissapeared ajust as suddenly. havent worked that one out still.

Ray & Da Boyz (kommodius) - Had a slight issue with a dodgy ignition switch I believe causing a spot of not wanting to start type behaviour during the Sunday cruise. As far as I'm aware tho he sorted it himself.

Woz and Alice (Van Housing/Alice in Kombiland) - Nothing immediately debilitating here, but they had a bit of a scare when smoke started emanating from Woger's engine bay during the trip up Black Mountain. The cause was found to be a fair quantity of seemingly fresh oil burning off the tinware. Still havent positively identified the source of the oil... and I don't think Woz really wants to find out!

Marty (Wild1) - worth a mention as altho he had no breakdowns, Marty managed to wreak havoc among the convoy members behind him by belching out insane ammounts of smoke from Huey's zorst... gotta admit it did look fairly impressive! :D

Still all in all not a bad effort for a convoy of 42 Kombis from all walks of life... a great testament to the ruggedness and simplicity of repairs of the Kombis themselves, and also to the power of teamwork and Kombi CLub comaraderie. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  2. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Cammo and Dunegirl broke down on their (solo) return between Cooma and Jindabyne, and are now getting put up by the RACV at a motel. On a more minor note, Felix and I also had tail light failures, Woger's reverse lights have stopped working, I managed to break the adjusting/retaining screw on a headlight, and Schmo's bus developed a strange whistling sound....

BTW, I suspect the engine smoke was just spilled oil from Woger's service burning off, we have had no recurrence since.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  3. Schmoburger

Ahh good to hear... some of the alternatives are expensive/annoying depending upon your mechanical finesse! :D

Ya may have noticed that I didnt have a left brakelight or reversing light either hehhe... not particularly fussed tho as the rego man passed it! :eek:

4. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Hi
    Glad to hear our pirate neighbours, Woz & Alice (& Woger) made it home ok...
    Was great to meet you both
    Mish (Adrain & Michelle) followed us home & everything was running ok when we left them too.
    Judy

5. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

With an eye patch on the head light Woger sailed home like sailboat on a still day..;)

Hope we all meet up again, in person, next year.

6. kommodius

kommodius New Member

Yeah Schmo, she did develop (another) dodgy starter circuit. Time for a seperate starter button I reckon. We managed to sort it though.
    Monday morning saw a hung starter motor, which was a bit confusing after the Sunday incident!! It was a good twenty minutes with coffee and rollies before I put her into third and rocked her backwards to get the vroom vroom happening!
    After that though she just sailed home and seemed to love every kilometre (bless her imitation dogleg!).
    Wheezy rings on number four though so an engine pull/rebuild is on the cards soon.

Ray & da Boyz

7. Stompywomp

Stompywomp New Member

Return to Base

Cheeky Monkey made it back down through the Brown Mountain and home in time for lunch....no mechanical problems...bit dozy from the night before...due to certain noisy types wanting everyone to join in. Anyway...a certain person got his due with a few rocks in his hubcaps.....Schmo....how far did u go before you got that one sorted?

Thanks to Melissa for her great organisation and getting all those amazing Kombis together. Goiod Job.

8. Schmoburger

Heheh... the rocks are still there as I type this... drove the 220k's back to JB with em in just cos I could... might remove em tomorrow if I can be bothered hehe, then perhaps kep em as a memento! :D

9. Alice in Kombiland

You should have kept the whistle in the muffler too as a memento.

10. Schmoburger

Would've... but created a bit more backpressure than I was happy with! :D

11. Alice in Kombiland

I could see it being a weapon....shooting whistles

12. Schmoburger

Hmmm... I thinks I actually likes the sound of that! :D :eek: :eek:

"Don't be silly officer!... how could I possibly have shot Michael Costa?!?!" :D

13. Chadwell64

Chadwell64 New Member

Had a little misfortune ourselves on the way home. First the sliding door falls off in Violet Town then we get a flat whilst in Adelaide. The tyre had three nails and a huge pin of some kind inbedded into it. I'd post some pictures but they exceed the allowed size for these forums.

14. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Photobucket will shrink them down for you.

Baz

15. kom123

kom123 New Member

Did the family appreciate the free air-conditioning or did they get a shock!! Was it while you were driving?

16. Chadwell64

Chadwell64 New Member

Thankfully it fell off whilst parked up and after an hour of struggling we managed to get it back on although the kids would rather it had stayed off with the weather hotting up!

17. Mafti

Mafti New Member

We cruised home at 80kmh for the 1500k trek to Adelaide. Whilst showing off on the Sunday in Canberra ( on the highway I came up alongside the brady bunch in the Kommodius bus, dropped back to third and got that turbo wizzing. We flew past doing a little more than the speed limit. Not ) Any way the next morning I start up my kombi and theres this tick, tick, ticking coming from the motor. Instant panic. This is reminding me of my last big trip in another kombi which turned into the trip from hell. We hung out in Canberra for an extra day to do the tourist bit and as the Monday was a public holiday had to wait until Tuesday to call in on a Subaru mechanic to get his opinion. He has a listen and said it could be a stuck lifter but not sure. Now I didnt want to wait till he could fit me in to fix it and take the chance that I was going to get ripped off (been there before) So I took the punt and headed home, as long as I didnt over rev it we should be right. Well we made it home the ticking is still there, no worse than it was in Canberra. I took it to my mechanic at home and he tells me the same " it sounds like a sticking lifter" It goes in for surgery this week. I had an oil pressure and a oil temp gauge fitted before leaving on the trip to Canberra and didnt take my eyes off them all the way home
    Oh and I also had a slight overheating issue, and the 10" portable DVD player we bought especially for the trip only worked about 50% of the time in the car. And I didnt get a Kombi Club Canberra tshirt because there were none left in my size. Overall we had a great trip and are looking forward to next year.

Mafti

18. Schmoburger

All that was pennance for cheating in the toy race Craig... with that bloody supercharged split with the sliding door! :D

Glad ya's made it back safe.

Cheers!
    Kieran