Kate the T3 Camper

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by grantw, Oct 29, 2016.

1. grantw

grantw Active Member

If you listen carefully you can hear the Banjos...

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

The banjos I don't mind.

It's those damn pigs squealing that send shivers up my spine

grantw likes this.
  3. grantw

grantw Active Member

Got away for the weekend to Wombeyan Caves, which is a lovely spot. Drove over through Goulburn and Taralga, the Taralga road is a lovely drive especially in the late afternoon. The 10km or so of unsealed road to the Caves was a bit rough with corrugations but nothing fell off. Was actually my first decent drive of Kate on a gravel road and I was pleasantly surprised by how well she tracked on the lose stuff.

Went for a walk, looked in some caves, ate a lot, snoozed a lot. Perfect weekend away :)

[​IMG]Wombeyan by Grant White, on Flickr

I'm thinking I might upgrade the solar panels for future off grid adventures. I'm no sure what's on there at the moment, they are fairly small. Anyone suggest anything or where I can find some useful info?

David H and Syncro27 like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

What a cool spot to go camping

But the drive down from the Mittagong side scares the bejesus out of you.
    Those drops!

5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Did you camp at Wombeyan Caves or Wolondilly camp site?

Both are lovely but Wolondilly has the river.............. and a few yahoos

6. grantw

grantw Active Member

We stayed at the caves, it's a little calmer there :), and I really wasn't brave enough to tackle the Mittagong section of the road, as you say the views are extensive!

7. Kazz

Kazz Member

We have some comparisons here................we use to go to the Thirroul beach every Sunday with the family............called into Killalea a few weeks ago on our way to Culburra to check out if the Farm still existed, and yes .........had not been to the Farm for about forty years ! Bombo, is that the only beach with a railway station on the sands ? Have camped at Green Patch and swam at the north end of the Jervis Bay when the NE was blowing a gale..........so nice! As a kid we used to camp at Kioloa for years, just near Merry Beach. We called into Mystery Bay on our way down the coast on our way to Tasmania this time last year. I can understand the trying out of a "sound deadening" device.............ours is quite a noisy ride.

8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Great stuff guys.....

Buses fully used as they were intended, for enjoyable get-aways, rather than just the work commute! ;)

Awesome!:)

9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Grant, many are surprised with their T3's when they venture onto dirt roads as to how well they handle ...... when we had our caravelle and went away one weekend and had to drive on dirt roads and up steep rutted track my wife was surprised at the ease with which it handled it ;)

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Would be realy happy with a bay then ;)

11. grantw

grantw Active Member

One of my other hobbies is cycling and I was doing a ride this past weekend around Yass, so headed off on my first solo overnighter. Kate didn't miss a beat along the Hume and was cruising at the speed limit very comfortably . I also realised that she is surprisingly spacious when you're on your own with only a gravel bike for company.

[​IMG]Camping at Yass by Grant White, on Flickr

12. grantw

grantw Active Member

The weather has been warming up and I was able to convince Lisa that we'd be snug and warm at Pretty Beach this weekend.

[​IMG]Pretty Beach Weekend by Grant White, on Flickr

And then the front came!!

Still had a great time reading and eating chocolate, while it rained and the wind gusted and the temperature dropped to 4 degrees. Nice to be back out on the road.

Syncro27 and Grantus like this.
  13. grantw

grantw Active Member

Just back from a week away in Kate. Went west to Temora to visit Lisa's sister for a couple of days, then back to the coast via Warri - free camping by the Shoalhaven River with the thrill of a tremendous thunderstorm that nearly floated my thongs away then down the Clyde to Pretty Beach for a few nights before heading home.

The drive east from Yass to Bungendore via Shingle Hill is lovely though Warri has got to have the worst dunny in the country. Breakfast in Braidwood at the Albion made up for it and then the peace of Pretty beach was fabulous.

[​IMG]Latest trip by Grant White, on Flickr

[​IMG]Latest trip by Grant White, on Flickr

Kate ran as sweet as a nut :)

Grantus, 13bvw, David H and 1 other person like this.
  14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Great to see the adventures you're having and enjoyment you're getting from owning Kate :cool:

grantw likes this.
  15. grantw

grantw Active Member

Syncro27 likes this.
  16. grantw

grantw Active Member

Syncro27, David H, Barry and 2 others like this.