Keeping the Aircooled engine cool

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by 1500king, May 15, 2009.

1. thomasbutchart

thomasbutchart New Member

Kombi running hot 76 EFI

hi all,

does anyone know where you can source an alternator seal, for where you adj the belt tension? and also the real that mates the oil filler to the tin wear ?

my van tends to run at 80Deg C above ambient.

Air seal, timing, and valve clearance all ok. It takes a half a hour of freeway driving before the temp gets up on say a 33 Deg C day to be an indicated 107 Deg C.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nigel

Nigel Member

1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 alternator seals

There are two varieties of alternator-to-tinware plastic-seal, in the viscinity of the V-belt drive pulley, of the 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2; dependent upon whether the alternator coverplate, has a small circular hole (earlier style) or flat-edge-trimmed elliptical hole (later style). The early-style circular seals are no longer available new, but the later-style seals might still be (they certainly were in circa 1993!).

Which style do you need?

[​IMG]

Later style alternator seal - 022 903 203

I think the early-style NLA seal is 021 903 203, but I will have to check my handwritten notes at home, to be sure!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  3. Nigel

Nigel Member

1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 alternator seals

From my handwritten notes, on Page 37 of Chapter 1 - Engine, in my copy of the following manual:

J. H. Haynes & K. F. Kinchin, VW Transporter 1700/1800, 1972 to 1974, Owners Workshop Manual, J. H. Haynes & Company Ltd., 1975, ISBN 85696-229-0.

Alternator coverplate with 113 mm diameter hole: sealing ring (VW part No. 021 903 203

Alternator coverplate with 145 mm x 158 mm elliptic hole: sealing ring (VW part No. 022 903 203

The two alternative sealing rings are of very different configuration, so one needs the appropriate type corresponding to the style of coverplate.

4. emby

emby Active Member

Andrew,

One other thing that could do with a mention when checking the carbs is check your o-rings in the idle mixture air and fuel adjusting screws.

After having issues with the bus not holding idle I found that my o-ring on the air intake was worn and that meant the screw kept seating itself in the fully closed position after running around for a few km.

I've also been having issues with cold start problems with what appeared to be a fuel problem. I just checked the o-ring on the mixture screw and it had perished and was in lumpy bits all over the thread. (I wish I'd checked both o-rings at the same time :eek: )

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  5. Nigel

Nigel Member

1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 alternator coverplate seal

Official 1968~79 VW Type 2, Catalogue & Microfiche, Page & Frame No. 009-00

Item 44 - Alternator coverplate with 113 mm diameter hole, associated with circular sealing ring (VW part No. 021 903 203

[​IMG]

6. Nigel

Nigel Member

Australia would probably still have been a Third-World or even a Fourth-World country, without British engineering; recalling that the British pioneered the Industrial Revolution and ruled at least a quarter of the World's population until not so long ago! If it not been for the debilitating consquences, of bearing the brunt of the 1st & 2nd World Wars, much of the Empire might still have remained intact, with an orderly progression towards greater regional autonomy.

My father had a 1972 Fiat 124 Special T Automatic, from 1972 to 1977, for both family-outings and his medical practice. I found both the front & rear seats to be most uncomfortable and the bodywork rusted horribly, in just a few years, but it proved to be a very reliable car.

7. Nigel

Nigel Member

Do the English drink warm beer? I wouldn't know, because I never drink beer, and besides which, I am British rather than English.

8. Nigel

Nigel Member

I recognise that Volkswagen, owes its continued existence to the British Army (specifically Major Ivan Hirst and other members of the REME), but I doubt very much, whether the problems associated with the engine starter-motor circuit of air-cooled VWs in general, or the 1968~79 VW 1600 & 17/18/2000 Type 2s specifically, could legitimately be blamed on Lucas-CAV, given that these vehicles typically use Bosch or Volkswagen branded components!

When discussing one particularly useful Lucas product (i.e. an 8-segment, 60 mm diameter, customisable warning-light cluster, originating from mid-1960s to early-1980s BLMC Triumph cars - my daily driver has been, a customised, 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 / Dolomite Sprint hybrid), in the following topic thread, on The Samba forum, one particularly irreverent forum member, from the American colony, south of Canada, posted a picture, of a rather attractive Lucas - Prince of Darkness, car-bumper badge, indicating in rather less delicate language, that he would rather administer a self-applied suppository of burning coals, than fit said badge to his car. I replied that if the badge were surplus to his requirements, I would gladly exchange it for some burning coals!

Accessories/Memorabilia - Upgrading warning-light function & provision

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=257858

Spreading seditious rumours, about Her Brittanic Majesty's esteemed manufacturer of automotive electrical components, will render ye liable to prosecution and after being found guilty, will be incarcerated in the Tower of London, awaiting execution.

In some cases the assizes might show leniency, and instead, sentence thee to transportation, to the Australian penal colony, where all will labour under unrelenting sun, in drought conditions, in mortal danger of heat stroke, dehydration, sunburn, malignant melanoma and the prospect of being eaten, bitten or stung, by all manner of indigenous, carnivorous and venomous beasties; assuming thee survive the sea voyage, scurvy, typhus, cholera and other afflictions, not withstanding.

Oh damn, I forgot, you are already serving a lifetime of penal servitude there, for previous crimes, so I guess it will have to be the Tower of London! I believe they still provide manacles, plus a ball & chain, so you can leave your own at home!

9. Carter

Carter Member

Hey, at least we have good weather. Chav...

10. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Sorry to interrupt your sovereign reminiscing... but I think the world moved on, and most notably Australia, beginning in the early 60's. that was 50 year ago. I call that HISTORY...Better technology, better cars, better everything.. Is Sheffield and Birmingham still the industrial hubs they once were? I don't think so.... Why? because they were left behind with 19th century technology and just couldn't cut it with 20th century progress. Their pride, like yours above for example , earnt them their failure.

BTW, those fiats were built with russian steel which was rusting on the roll before it had even been stamped into a car.

11. 1500king

Question... Why does Bosch dominate Auto electrics and not Lucas? I think all us Aussies know the answer to that one and are content to keep it that way.

I dunno about you, but I think we got the better end of the deal and in general, are living in paradise when compared to the dark dingey hole that is the UK. I think a few of our ex pom members on here will also agree with me as they will have seen both sides of the fence...we haven't forgotten anything, we laugh at the british at where they live every day!! I'll be remembering your "ball and chain" comment when breathing crystal clear air, enjoying perfect weather/environment and diving into the crystal clear waters that surround us unfortunate souls on this here convict island:lol: :lol: :p

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  12. 1500king

might be a good time to start, might fix the depressive environment around you...

13. 1500king

??? Britain still is a fourth world country... crap weather, slums for cities, sewers for rivers.... Lots of history mentioned over there as there is nothing from the present to be proud of....

14. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Time to rename this thread: How to keep a forum cool.

15. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

As the Australian-born son of a British humanist I can see we have stumbled into very rich territory for people who love an argument for argument's sake! :)

16. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Nigel, love your sense of humour/wit :lol:
    Should be more of it. the world would benefit greatly if it's leaders could take the piss out of themselves with such aplomb & self-rightous dignity :lol:
    As for anyone getting remotely offended - read between the lines ! & if it all gets too much, go for a walk on the SANDY beach, in the WARM sun and swim in the ocean WITHOUT a wetsuit :D Cheers, Mark ( Said with tongue planted firmly in cheek !! )

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  17. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

My oath! A civilised 3 hour argument at the kitchen table over a few cups of tea is considered a high level sport in my family, we love it. I had to chuckle over the anti-colonial vibe there, Dad and I have had that one out many a time. I'll never change his mind but that's not the point!

18. 1500king

I must have a Lucas fuse inside me... I think it blew... changing to a bosch one right...mmmmm... now..!!!:lol: :lol:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  19. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. 1500king

The problem is, I think he was serious...!!:p :lol: