Keeping the Aircooled engine cool

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by 1500king, May 15, 2009.

1. Nigel

Nigel Member

There's a new television drama serial starting here on Thursday, entitled "Banished", which is based upon the early penal colony, close to where Sydney now stands.

I only visit the public library for about an hour at a time, on 5~6 days per week, before I do the family shopping and return home to start my working-day, as a self-employed tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

I think the Australian climate would be too hot for me, especially in the summer. I found the autumn climate of South Africa to be quite warm enough. I think New Zealand's South Island climate would be more to my taste and the University of Dunedin researches aspects of building technology, thermal insulation and energy conservation, which is closely related to what I was involved in, about 25 years ago.

It's interesting to note that two of Australia's recent senior politicians, on both sides of the house, were British colonists / immigrants!

The world of steam is still with us, in the form of several heritage railways, plus three World Heritage mountain railways in India, built by the British about 100 years ago. The "Mallard" still holds the World speed record, for a steam locomotive drawn train. The Chinese still run a lot of relatively new steam railway locomotives, to the best of my recall and probably import a lot of the coal and iron ore from Australia. Don't forget that most electrical generating stations, rely upon steam turbines.

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Sydney was the penal colony, there was nothing close by. We have lots of penals here.:)

Unfortunate, isn't it.

We need a US type of political system.

1500king likes this.
  3. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Honestly Nigel, Tasmania would suit you down to the ground, cool but better weather than old Blighty. Closer to us and you can jump over to the mainland occasionally to give those young whippersnappers a good clip under the ear.

Adrian

4. Nigel

Nigel Member

As you say, Tasmania might be the only viable option, but do your schools still retain capital punishment (whoops, I really meant corporal punishment!) as an option? Although, I sometimes think that corporal and/or capital punishment in schools, might help to deter some pupils' violent and anti-social behaviour! As you might recall, transportation to the Australian penal colony, was the more lenient alternative to execution.

Don't forget that it is the US type of political system, that enables people with the most money to dominate politics and retain firearms ownership & use policies which enables the population to routinely kill themselves and/or others, either by accident or by intent.

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Yes, good isn't it.

6. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

No we dont have corporal punishment here at all. Pity, was a good thing to have hanging over us at school. I changed school half way through grade 7 to a school that had got rid if it so I survived with out any occurrences of getting the Cuts.

Adrian

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Deviating from the thread topic a bit!!
    Tassy weather! Nice..
    Corporal punishment? Only if the Corporal is really naughty!
    US style government?? Worlds best practice?? I think not.
    Cooling a VW engine? Stock works well if it is gut condition..

Melb.VDubber likes this.
  8. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Nige, There is a fantastic little town in South Australia for you. It is called Terowie.

Miss Rosie likes this.