1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kombi checked out

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by JaneC, Jan 17, 2017.

1. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Hello all, I just paid (THANK GOODNESS I DID!) for a professional check (State Roads) and the Kombi that was talked up to sound 'the one', on 'carsales' is not the one. Owner never mentioned that despite a 'rotisserie' strip and spray only two years ago, rust is coming through on the roof and 2 panels. and engine bay. The engine leaking oil, the gearbox leaking oil and the door panels sticking out by 5mm. Oh and blinkers, windshield wipers and horn don't work. If he'd been honest about the condition it would have saved me $450. Not a great first experience. Sob! Shows how careful you have to be.

So I'm spending the afternoon drawing my dogs. :)

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Jane,
    Money well spent but a bit sad anyway:(!
    Your dogs will cheer you up!:D
    There will be another... it just takes Kombi patience.
    Bit like the online dating experience I went thru years ago. Not every one is honest.:rolleyes:
    Perhaps ask for some photos & post here & see what members comments are. Could save the $450.:)
    Cheers,
    David H

JaneC likes this.
  3. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Hello David, Thanks so much and yes, good idea re posting. BTW if anyone is looking at a Bus on the Gold Coast, PM me and I can say if it is that one and very happy to share the report. Might save someone else some $.

PS dogs are cheering me up!

ruby6689 and David H like this.
  4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

That's a shame. :(

"Gold Coast"..........Sunny place for shady characters. ;)

Many KC members are happy to go and have a first squizz at any potential purchase. I think most would have picked up on such obvious problems, and saved you the $450 inspection fee, or if the bus looks OK, could then recommend you take the next step of a paid inspection.:rolleyes:

It also then assures you that the bus actually exists, (some advertised on online sales sites don't :eek:), in case you want to travel to see the bus.

It's been proven many times here, that Kombi's eventually find their owners. :)

Debstar, David H and JaneC like this.
  5. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Thanks so much Grantus! And yes, I may call upon KC for the next one. This could be a very expensive process otherwise! I am patient so will wait for 'my' Kombiā€¦ :)

Debstar likes this.
  6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Not the best first time kombi experience,chin up there . Always more fish in the sea as the saying goes. Just have to keep a keen eye out and it will hit you when you least expect it ,Best of luck with your search.

JaneC likes this.
  7. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member

Although none of thoose problems are insurmountable ...you can use the inspection report to your advantage. ...get them to reduce the cost by a couple of grand

JaneC likes this.
  8. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

after "a 'rotisserie' strip and spray only two years ago" and rust coming out one has to wonder if the 'rotisserie' strip and spray only two years ago ever happened or it was of poor quality. I wouldnt trust that van now even for a "few thousand" off. Find one with documented restoration with pics to prove otherwise its just the sellers word.

JaneC likes this.
  9. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Thanks Betsy. The inspector said it would cost quite a few thousand to get it fixed (mainly the paint job as almost every panel has rust re-appearing. Said that it may have been stripped back but the professional who was said to have resprayed it didn't prep the body properly? And I forgot to mention that the engine had a 'flat spot' which may just be a tune... but... any thoughts?

10. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Walk away

Debstar, David H and JaneC like this.
  11. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Thanks Luckyphil - owner just said that is what I should expect from a '72 model! Oh and I forgot to mention that despite my talking to the spray painter who assured me 'no bog was used'... guess what!

12. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

I am sure it is all a learning curve Wayne... oh my!

David H likes this.
  13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Jane,
    A lot of the words in advertisements are based on the BSBB principal - do you know it ? (If not it's bull shit baffles brains).
    You may have spent $450 (wisely lets admit that) but saved yourself how many thousand ????
    I have lost count of the thousand of dollars spent in airfares, train, taxi & time to personally inspect so called nothing to do but buy, drive & enjoy only to be realistic in the fact that $$$$$ had to be spent.
    Must admit I lucked out on Igor and that is a story that I would get some laughs & smiles but in the end I travelled to Orange NSW after NRMA inspection, got picked up @ airport by owner taken to inspect, test drive then a nice Sunday drive home to Brisbane - 1100 klms in 11.5 hours :eek:

Debstar, JaneC and David H like this.
  14. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Yes, I am a glass half full person so see it as money saved! Thanks Kahuna Kombi. I know it can be a long road - pun intended - before the right one comes to me. I have just been put onto one that is closer to home and comes from a respected VW mechanic and has a good history. Watch this space!

Debstar likes this.
  15. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Jane, hope this one ticks more boxes ;)

JaneC likes this.
  16. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

The work that was done on the car body work wise .If it had been done at all had it then had any post treatment to prevent any rust coming back so quickly in panel cavities! I assume not at the rate that the rust has re appeared.:(:mad: Move on to the next one.

JaneC likes this.
  17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

JaneC

If you need any photos checked as a forerunner to local member inspection I am happy to give an opinion on them.

High resolution that can be zoomed in on is necessary but can give an initial view of whatever avail.

Is seller is genuine they will be happy to provide to a serious buyer.

What colour and price on the one you had inspected ?
    PM if preferred

Col

JaneC likes this.
  18. TheYorkieBar

TheYorkieBar Active Member

Likewise happy to view any in the Sydney area if you need......

John

JaneC likes this.
  19. TheYorkieBar

TheYorkieBar Active Member

The one your referring to Jane - I'm assuming that's the $34,500 one

JaneC likes this.
  20. ozferret

ozferret Member

Jeez, no need to take it out on your dogs with a medieval torture routine.........

Miss Rosie and JaneC like this.