1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kombi conversion Ej25

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Reubs, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Reubs

Reubs New Member

Hey guys,

Im keen as to start seriously thinking about doing an Ej25 conversion on my 75 camper.. Firstly can i go for a turbo version or is it more hassle than its worth and also would prefer to go with trans conversion too, although i know the 2ltr box is good..

Is there any Mechanics around Brissy or Goldy who could do conversion or i can get in contact with for help??. Im in Ocean shores, near Bruns and Byron. Super appreciative for any help regarding this.

Cheers,
    Reubs. :)

2. mr930

mr930 Active Member

I put an ej25 in ours with a subarugears box. Don't think I'd go turbo as it's quick enough as is. Your welcome to come inspect.

Syncro27, Chidori and cbus like this.
  3. Reubs

Reubs New Member

Yeah nice !
    I would love to come and check it out! Did you do it yourself ?, if not who did? Also did you buy a wreck or motor and trans ?.. i am pretty keen to continue research, getting ready to go down this route. I absolutley love my bus, she's just gutless up hills, plus figured if i am going to go down this route, good to know if possible going all out or serious mods are needed.. Sorry for all the questions..

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Pete from Custom Vee Dub at Stafford used to do a drive in drive out service.
    He would be a good point of conversation about getting it done.

David H likes this.
  5. mr930

mr930 Active Member

Did the conversion myself and got Andrew from agt engineering to wire it up. No real dramas. I used the Subaru clutch master cylinder too, so now has hydraulic clutch. Must have about 30,000 km on it now and no issues at all. I bought a 2000 model Subaru Liberty for $300 off eBay with a dodgy rear diff.

6. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

Was it very expensive the subiegears part? And does that setup inc a LSD? Ive still using original T3 gbox/diff. I just find the T3 not as tractable as the T2. In all other aspects they're better or even.

7. Reubs

Reubs New Member

Thanks heaps mate, gave him a call, he has stopped doing conversions but is happy to weld up radiator set up and wire up, provide i install motor and trans :)

Thanks again!

8. Reubs

Reubs New Member

Damn man,

300 bucks, talk about resourceful thats awesome, well i think i may have some more help in this process as i think Pete for Custom Vee Dubs is willing to help me. He is pretty adamant about sticking with a Ej22 tho and using my 4 speed box as he doesnt have much knowledge of the trans conversion, nor do i at all!, although i have read up about Agt engineering and the seem to have their finger on the pulse! Very keen to see your set up hey.

Thanks for your help mate.

9. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

Hey Reubs, I live not far away.. 1/2 hour or so up the road at Banora Point. I've got an EJ20 in mine with T3 box and its great. Mine was converted by a guy in Byron a few years ago.. not sure if he is still around but it's been very reliable, starts every time with I agree with mr930 and don't see the need for a turbo as it has plenty of performance.

10. Reubs

Reubs New Member

Yes kimosabi !

Sweet ! I would be very interested to catch up and check out your ride, also be great to chase down the mechanic who did yours as is super close to me. Not Byron classic cars? Now Stokers which i am not really happy with being charged an extra grand on quote to rebuild top end and replace gear box..

Thanks tho hey, be great to catch up

Reubs.

11. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Reubs

I have a 76bus with ej25 and belly mount rad and 71bus with ej22 and twin engine bay rads.
    You are welcome to have a look

Reubs likes this.
  12. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I'd like to have a look at this one day as I'm thinking this might be a way to go next.
    Rick

13. David H

David H Well-Known Member

After the F/I 2 lt? To get 140bhp?
    So why the early T3 air cooled case?? for a base T2 motor?
    Cheers

14. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Curiosity to see the Subaru motor fit and finish in a kombi more than anything.
    I think the ej25 might be good to put into a Manx buggy I keep wanting.

As for the t3 (t25) cases, which by the way were in the last t2's like mine.
    They do away with the bypass valve which I don't think is necessary in our climate (and neither did VW in the end). VW tried a few different oil circuits before settling on the simple single oil pressure relief valve system.

No mechanical fuel pump hole Just a blank boss (not a fan of mechanical pumps), so no chance of oil leaks in that area or fuel in the oil from there when the pump diaphragm lets go (not easy removing/replacing the pump either)

The crankcase vent is part of the case instead of a tin can on top of a big hole that likes to weep oil past a cork gasket as time goes on

The latter the cases the less chance of multiple dodgy rebuilds ( probably reaching a bit on this one)

Anyway a better arrangement I think.

David H likes this.
  15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Rick.
    I think you will be impressed at the ease of fit into a late bay when installing the motor/ gearbox combo using available adapted/ fabricated mounts etc.

Looked at such in Tassie and was suitably impressed at simplicity.
    Likely you will find some room for improvement but is developing into a plug and play.
    For the major components anyway. ;)

Reubs likes this.
  16. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Hey Rebus,
    I have most of a EJ22 conversion sitting in my garage. I posted it in the for sale forum a month or so ago.
    I think I am missing a throttle body reverser, but have everything else.
    Give me a hoy if you want to have a chat about it.

17. Reubs

Reubs New Member

Yes Rick!

Keen as ! Need some help !! Thinking ej25 would love to chat more !

18. Reubs

Reubs New Member

Hey Kombi man :)

Thanks mate I would be interested as to what you have to offer possibly. Do you have all the wiring and loom,
    adapter plate etc ? What year is the motor, ks etc ..

Sorry for late reply haven't been back on for a bit..

19. Reubs

Reubs New Member

Sorry Kombi man,

Just saw your add, yes I would be interested to talk more :)

20. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

Good meeting you the other day Reubs. At least now you've had the the chance to drive an EJ20 conversion. I have never driven an EJ22 or 25 but as you can see I'm very happy the way my T3 goes. Considering the conversion was done back in 2009 and there has been no mechanical issues the base Suby motor seems to be a good reliable choice.