Kombi Convoy

Discussion in 'The First national Kombi Club Bus Stop 2007' started by cammokombi, Dec 9, 2006.

1. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

I wrote this in another thread then I thought it should really go here as well.... -:

Re Canberra-:
    Any organisation yet on the possibility of us Melbournians linking in to the Tassie and S.A. kombis on the way to Canberra? Any interstate members who want to get to Melbourne and stop off somewhere for a day or two before we leave for Canberra you are welcome to park your campervan in our street and have access to shower and toilet, big back yard if you have a tent, no probs at all. P.M. me for details. Maybe other Melbournians could offer hospitality as well and get this thing organized. There is safety in numbers and I think a convoy sounds like a good idea. From Melbourne it is about 9 - 10 hours drive (at fully loaded kombi speed) [I have just done it!] This can be done in one hit or divided up into two days. It is up to the convoy to decide. Lots of pit stops and engine cooling stops Ha!

2. HempKombi

HempKombi New Member

I'm with you on this one cammo, even though I still haven't booked my site! I was already thinking about the SA crew, and hadn't even thought of Tass crew as well. And my house is on offer for any who may need it. Street parking, an extra bed and a fridge that can be piled full of beer!
    My suggestion would be to leave Melbourne on the Thursday, with arrival mid afernoon on Friday in the Can. A very easy pace indeed, after all we're going to a kombi convention.
    I'm not to familiar with the routes and how the other states passing through VIC, so maybe a representative of each state can be nominated (I nominate cammo for vic!), who can facilitate on behalf of the state members to work out routes and who is coming on where. I would consider doing it myself, but feel a bit stretched for time as it is! Plus my sense of direction is a big no no.
    Any other volunteers/nominations?

3. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

dobbed in

Ha Ha dobbed in I see.
    I have just done that drive a few weeks ago but in reverse. No I didnt drive backwards I drove it from North to South.

So the route I would choose is ...from Melbourne go along the Hume highway through Seymore to Albury/Woodonga. Then continue along the Hume Hwy up to Yass then turn off to Canberra along the Barton Hwy, too easy. There is only one hill that may cause kombis and trucks a headache but mostly the road is good. Watch out for roadwork speed signs the cops were booking people all along the new works sections when I came through. Some of those works will still be active next year. That route has plenty of 24hr fuel stops. Anyone from Interstate who wants any information I would be happy to pass it on or research it for you etc just ask.

4. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Meeting point for convoy

Thinking about the convoy from Melbourne to Canberra...

I guess a good starting point would be to work out a time and place to meet and wait for others to arrive and join the convoy. For those who want to depart on the Thursday morning we could work out somewhere central to our locations or somewhere up the Hume Hwy? Once we get to that stage of organisation we can swap phone numbers etc. Maybe the Event website could display email addresses of anyone wanting to organize convoy's so it can be co-ordinated. I assume there will be several small convoys over a couple of days as people will leave earlier or later as is thier want. In the meantime anyone wants my contact details please Private Message me.
    Geoff.

5. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Great idea. If anyone is coming up from the NSW south coast and wants to stop overnight before or after the event, I have space enough for the odd few Kombis and even a bed or two. Just PM me. I would be more than happy to link with others coming through this way to arrive at the site in convoy.

6. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Geoff, thanks for the offer of sorting a convoy from Melbourne. I think if we keep it on here with members contacting you by PM first here will work better for me and it is really only KC members who are attending anyway.

7. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

melissa

Cool. Yes I will give people my contact details when they pm me. no probs.

8. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

The Melbourne to Canberra Convoy

Already we have some starters for the Convoy trip to Canberra. All that has been discussed so far is a preference to leave Melbourne on the Thursday morning and roadside camp along the way that night. The plan is to take a nice easy pace with stops as required then arriving nice and relaxed on the Friday. If you are an interstater (Tassie and S.A.) and will be in Melbourne on the Wednesday or earlier we Melbournites have offered parking and use of showers and toilets at our homes, so please take up our offers. We would love to have you in the convoy.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  9. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

coffee cakes and convoys

As we are having a Melbourne KC gathering on the 7th of January then that would be a good time to put forward some convoy ideas. Things like...
    • centralized departure point.
    • Having a sleep over to all start off together.
    First Sunday of every month, 9:00 am onwards at Thresherman's Bakehouse, 221 Faraday St Carlton. January 7 2007.

10. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Apols somewhere alse in Kombi Klub for 7th and also mentioned Strathfield sale of uhf radio for $18. Other sets also available. For that price you can be online for the Kombi Konvoy.

11. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

KC Interstaters

All KC-ers from Interstate, ie Tasmania, S.A. W.A. that will be going to Canberra, let us know when you will be in Melbourne? Maybe we can link up for the Canberra Convoy.

12. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Re Canberra convoy from Melb.

Next Sunday is the first Sunday of the month (see Melbourne Area KC Posts) No doubt we will talk about issues relating to the convoy and canberra. See you in Carlton on the 4th Feb.

13. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Want to chat about Canberra convoy?

If you want to chat live then use windows live/ or msn My contact chat addy is
    cammokombi@hotmail.com

Say Hi so will I
    Cammo.

14. kommodius

kommodius New Member

I've been thinking about the convoy aspect of this major run too
    Geoff. (who better than a real "Geoffrey" to organise this bit!!)
    I've been talking to other SA drivers about a meet in Yass the night before so that we can enter the Nation's Capital en masse for the 2pm meet up in Canberra.
    There seem to be so many different approaches to the run in terms of starting times and distances/day even amongst our SA crew that I thought a meeting place closer to Canberra would be most appropriate.
    From our (Adelaide) viewpoint a run to Melbourne and then on to Canberra equates to about 17-18 hours of road time but a straight run is only 12-13 hours.
    It would make more sense to me (although I'd still love a run from Adelaide to Melbourne!) for SA (and possibly WA) drivers to head straight for Yass and camp there to meet the Vic and Tassie crews to form a major convoy into the city.
    Any WA drivers can find comfy spots in Adelaide Crew yards/driveways if they wanna make early starts and will have the comfort of having ttmck and others help check their rides before the next leg of the odyssey.

Just a thought but I'd love to hear other opinions.

Ray & da Boyz

15. Mafti

Mafti New Member

Im flexible as to which route we take, as I'd like to travel in convoy because there is safety in numbers, meaning if anyone has dramas the other KC members will be there to help out and also this crew is a fun mob to travel with. My only concern is that we will have the three kids on board so the less traveling hours the better, so meeting at Yass works with us.

Mafti

16. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

as above ditto yass for me im leaving wed morn , thurs night to be in yass then cruise into canberra friday morning .
    any one from the west who needs a place to stay let any of the adelaide crew know or pm me
    prefer then to go the direct route and meet the others in yass ville

17. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

We would be looking at leaving Melb Thurs to arrive on fri si Yass may be a destination for a Melb Konvoy. Will hear what the other cruisers are thunking.

18. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Yass to Saddle Up

Modified due to above post.................see plan changes!

Sounds like a good plan! We Melbournians will also leave on Thursday if we decide (after Sundays meet and greet) to head to Yass also, then we will all be there at the same time. Wow What a convoy into Canberra that will be!!!!!
    As there is more than one caravan park in Yass here are some details so you can make bookings if you want power etc.

Yass Caravan Park
    Phone: 02 6226 1173

Address:
    Cnr Laidlaw & Grampian Street
    Yass, New South Wales, 2582

How to get to Yass Caravan Park:
    From Comur Street, Yass head north along the Main street, turn right into Grampian Street, entrance is 100 metres on right.

http://www.yass.nsw.gov.au/community/1534/1536.html

I hope this info is helpful,
    Regards,
    Cammo.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  19. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

More Intell.

I phoned the caravan park at Yass. They only have 4 or 5 sites left. They are fully booked for Easter. So it may be a rethink on the caravan park stop over. How about a roadside camp over. What are your thoughts? 15 kombis in a corner of a truck stop carpark for the night? 24 hr Shop and toilets/showers etc? ( First fuel stop (Mc Donalds) after or at Yass turn off on the Hume Highway. Its the one off to the left on top of a hill. Look for the [M] We could meet there and let engines cool down then decide whats what.

20. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Hume to Yass

Up the Hume to Yass turn off The Barton Highway all the
    way into Canberra.
    Before turning off into Yass go to fuel stop on the Highway and meet and greet and possibly sleep?

[​IMG]