1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kombi Dogs.....our co-pilots

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by oldman, Jul 19, 2018.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Of little consolence but was reminded of this post by Chenko - from the WPMO thread Page 89 Post # 1767

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish wolfhound named Belker. The dog’s owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn’t do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker’s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, “I know why.”

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I’d never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, “People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life – like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?”

The six-year-old continued, “Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”

wirrah and wombatventures like this.
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Bert.....I remember that post too, it brought tears too my eyes then, as it does now...
    .we’re numb.....and lonely.
    Mark

3. oldman

Appreciate your words Chris......so much support from our extended Kombi family.....
    We are truly blessed.
    Mark

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Not by yourself mate ....... rattled me then and still does.

oldman likes this.
  5. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Oh Mark and Sue. I am truly sorry to hear about the loss of beautiful Kirra.

1BD9B873-C2FB-4DB4-BEE9-93505B9B4645.jpeg

We’re all thinking of you mate. Love to you and Sue.
    Chrissy and Paul.

6. oldman

Thank you Chrissy and Paul......tough times indeed......
    Please give your beautiful dog Tallulah a hug for us.
    Mark

Ninga likes this.
  7. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

:( Oh how sad. RIP Kirra. :( I'm still heartbroken over losing my doggie (1 year on).

8. oldman

Thanks TeeBee.......this is what I see every time I open the door: IMG_2320 copy.JPG
    We are gutted.......
    Thanks for your kind words, Kirra will always be remembered....and we will never truly get over this loss...
    Mark

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    wirrah, Syncro27, Ninga and 2 others like this.
  9. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

So sad mate, she was such a nice dog. Condolences, losing them is hard.

10. oldman

Thanks Steve...unfortunately inevitable when you choose a doggy mate.
    Bloody hard to get through these early days.....
    Love to the Family, hopefully catch you at Old Bar.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Squidy likes this.
  11. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

Question for the dog knowledgeable…
    Do they know they are travelling, have a sense of "place" when they go by car?
    I asked the future son in law, vet to be, this, and he was unsure - certainly if they were walking, leaving scent to find their way home (Check out "Rain Dogs" for the Tom Waits uninitiated) they do.
    I take Willow to the beach every morning, she hops in the back, slider closes. When we arrive, Kombi stops, she jumps up on the back seat, sees where she is and barks to be let out.
    But does she know she has travelled? Was it just a time in the little room, and when the door opens things are different?
    Same with the trip to Phillip Island - she sits quietly for the journey, then gets excited when she sees where she has arrived.
    I may think about some things far too much...….
    Willow thinking....

DSCN0543_001.JPG

wirrah and oldman like this.
  12. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Take it to the vet they seem to know they are going to the vet and they are going to get the thermometer.:eek:o_O

Ninga and David H like this.
  13. oldman

Kirra always new she was heading to the beach......lots of familiar scents out the window, on the way !
    Cheers,
    Mark

Ninga likes this.
  14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Most dogs would rather just be with you, than staying home alone. Although, if the ONLY time they ever travel in a vehicle is for a trip to the vet, or a to be dropped off to the boarding kennels before you go on a few weeks holiday, they would soon get to fear driving anywhere.

I’m sure some do suffer motion sickness, so the journey is not too pleasant for them.

However, kombi co-pilots are a different breed!

If Willow is a “flatbed business class” type passenger, she may well just hop up, snooze away the journey, and enjoy the destination.

But I’ve had co-pilots so keen to watch everything out the window from start to finish, that if I left them behind, I’m sure they could find their way home.

Good question Nozza, and I’m sure the answers are as varied as we are. ;)

Ninga and oldman like this.
  15. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Rosie used to jump in cars, any car, had to be checked out. A ride was a bonus. My work dogs know that a ride in the ute means a run. Ruby the redhealer once jumped out of the ute canopy about 8k from home. When we found out she was missing we went back and found her half way home having crosscountried via at least one dam and then trotting along the backroad with a silly grin from ear to ear. We don't call her Doofus for no reason! ;):p
    D-man is already settling in to the car door opens, we're going somewhere, gotta get lifted in. Gotta love em.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    oldman likes this.
  16. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Great question Nozza. Had an Old English sheep dog that went every where with me. Seemed to know where we were going by when we left & what we took with us but maybe that was a learned experience. She once got spooked by fire works as I locked up my business late one Sunday. She was seen by many in various places but if you plotted it, it would look like ever decreasing circles from a 2 mile radius to get back to where she bolted from (with no knowledge of the area). She was on the last lap (nearing where she left from some 3 days earlier) when the call I'd put out over radio DJ found a respondent (Lost Old English sheep dog with plait & pink bow:D) being a servo mechanic who looked up at the time she walked past.
    I think they do know the car moves quicker than them after the first few trips:cool:. How else would they know about the vet!
    Mine always knew 'the place' after a first visit & was keen for the car trip again;) when I told her where we were going she knew what place we were going to. (beach, camping, bush etc that were repeat places).
    She was most happy when she was in a place with me:D & that's the unconditional love they give:cool: us lucky owners.
    They will use all their abilities to get back to the place they want to be & I think that answers it. We've all heard stories of animals finding their owners after tremendous journeys of distance & time. I believe they know the car journey beats the speed of their feet after the first car chase they do:rolleyes:.
    Cheers

17. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

The ever present, understands the word car and knows when we’re heading out before we’re ready to go
    https://imgur.com/a/T8kjzPJ

oldman likes this.
  18. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Caravelle door open. Georgie in first. Ours all know what the 'Velle is all about.

2009-02-13-004.jpg

Ninga, Syncro27, melissa and 3 others like this.
  19. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Apropos to @Nozza. When we used to take Annie down to Sydney Uni for chemo she would sleep on the way back. But within a couple of kilometres of home she would always wake and start to look around expectantly. It was as uncanny as it was predictable. But pretty much all of ours have done that after a long journey.

oldman likes this.
  20. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

Our Astro posing in front of another air cooled car (not mine unfortunately :()

20180401_131026.jpg