Kombi fuel line insulation

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Gonzo, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo New Member

Has anyone seen the need to use this to try and stop fuel vaporisation?

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Nope.......
    Assuming carbs. ?
    If the fuel is vapourising, you're either experiencing exceptionally hot climatic conditions or the engine bay is waaaaay to warm.
    Check that the engine bay tinware & (foam) seal is in good condition & complete.
    Engine bay area should get warm but definately not hot to the point of causing vapour lock in the carbs., under normal operating conditions.
    Start simple - check valves - cold, points gap, timing.
    If you have a stock set-up, check all the settings are correct.
    Cheers,
    Mark

KahunaKombi likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

From memory vaporisation is in the carbs so if happening after running and turning off then excessive heat is rising from the "hot" to "cool" area of the motor = tinware and seal issue + if you do not have the seals on the HT leads @ the spark plug end then even that small hole in the tinware under the carbs (taken you are talking dual carb engine) is enough to allow heat to rise and cause vaporisation in the carby(s) replacement seals are available for the HT leads if they are missing or damaged.

chris taylor and oldman like this.
  4. Gonzo

Gonzo New Member

Yes Old Man - twin carbs/all seals and tinware are in good order and it was rather hot when this happened. Just waited 1/2 hour for things to cool down and away we went and hasn't happened since, but have experienced this problem a couple of times before.
    Another question - I have a Donaldson air cleaner as well as the standard air cleaner installed in the engine bay . . . . is the Donaldson taking up too much air circulation room from the rear air intakes, and not allowing the air to circulate freely?
    Thanks also to KahunaKombi for your suggestion about the plug lead seals - I know that they are not the best, but you buy a new set and before long they are all warped and bumpy anyway.
    Gonzo

5. oldman

Donaldson shouldn't affect anything......the fact that the carb bodies are getting that warm, is the issue in my opinion.
    Remember, these vehicles operate in desert environments overseas without issue if they are set up properly.
    Hence my comment regarding adjustments....
    Cheers,
    Mark

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

If you want original spark plug lead seals let me know as I can put you onto possibly the only supplier of these otherwise suppliers would only have OEM ...... I bought a set for my Type3 but still to fit them ..... they have the part number and VW emblem and still very flexible - you ask cost USD2 each + postage ;)

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble understanding that.o_O

The Donaldson replaces the standard Mann filter.

8. oldman

I’m guessing that Gonzo suspects that the volume of the Donaldson canister could reduce the free air around the carbs. They are quite a bulky unit inside the engine bay.
    .......Just a guess mind you. :rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

9. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

you could try the carb spacers that insulate the carbs

10. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Low fuel pressure..too low...

11. 1500king

I feel you are over analysing the situation.... If the motor is unduly hot... then mixtures and timing are the culprits... along with missing cooling system components.

syncro likes this.
  12. 1500king

Yeah..That is quite a bit to take in... I'd love to see a pic..

syncro likes this.