1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kombi Insurance - Can anybody help?

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Obibwon, May 7, 2008.

1. Obibwon

Obibwon New Member

Hi all,
    Just contemplating a purchase of a lovely '68 but I am stuggling to find an insurance company to cover it. can anybody recommend some good cheap cover? many thanks

2. bob&beena

bob&beena New Member

Hi,

we just insured our Kombi with Shannon's. They have ads on SBS. AAMI would only insure it for 'market value' which was a joke.
    Hope this helps.

3. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Buy it then find the insurance. Gives you incentive. (and a 68)

4. REB

REB Active Member

insurance

hi i was with nrma as they will insure a kombi up to 6000 dollars max as long as you paid that much for it and it was only 320 with 65 per cent no claim bonus on a 4000 dollar car,aami wouldnt insure for more than market price which was 1800 dollars and would cost 500 dollars a year.
    changed kombis and nrma wouldnt insure my 10000 dollar kombi but aami would for a premium of 700 dollars a year,
    i think it depends on who is on the other end of the phone sometimes but aami usally wants to see that there insuring what its worth,which is fair enough.
    shannons seems a bit of price hike going on there for a daily driver any way good luck with the mysteries of car insurance.:rolleyes:

5. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Shannons insured my '63 SC for what it was worth after the restoration which I thought was pretty good.

6. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Give Shannons a call...
    Have all ours on shannons...best company to do business with & have better clauses in their policies than most...
    Judy

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Hard to give good advice if we dont know where you are. Update your profile and add location. You need advice applicable to your state/city.

8. Marty

Marty Active Member

Try GIO as well, I've got an agreed value of 5000 for 275 a year. Shannons wouldn't insure me as I'm too young for them

9. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Shannon's won't insure campers. They refer you to they're caravan sister company, who: won't insure campers over 30 years old.

Therefore, I'm toast and will be asking you all to sell me your camper for 1800 if mine is written off.

Dingo.

10. Barney

Barney New Member

Barney is insured with Shannon's, he is a camper and they also inspected him after restoration to a much higher agreed value...how strange you got that advice..:wtf:

11. chino

chino New Member

mines also a (71) camper that is insured through Shannons to agreed value also.

12. Dingostrategy

Thanks guys! I had heard runours but this is hard evidence.... Might make the next customer hassle officer aware of this thread.

Cheers

Dingo

13. Live&Direc

Live&Direc Member

Oh, if only I had off street parking. Then I could enjoy the luxuries of Shannons. Damned high-risk punk kids walking by looking for badges and hub-caps and raising my premiums! :)

14. vwcamper76

vwcamper76 New Member

i am inshured with shannon's too for 6000g's unseen in tas and it too is a campervan i pay aprox $250 per year and that is with $500 contence inshurance.

15. Dingostrategy

Will be sure and try again when next im due!

After June, Warren's in hibernation until the summer anyway (unless my step-dad takes him for a blast or three, which I hope he does!). It'll be back to Delhi and a shitty Royal Enfield for dingo.

Dingo.

16. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

Mate what do you do for work?

17. MattB

MattB New Member

I called Shannon's to insure my '76 camper and they refused. They said that they wouldn't insure my Kombi because it had gas in it, which meant that it was a motorhome or something stupid like that. They also mentioned that because it was fitted gas (with an access hatch etc) it was different to campers that just had a couple of small gas bottles behind the front passengets seat. My brother's '74 camper, which just has the small gas bottles behind the seat, is insured with them though, for 6000 unseen but I'm not sure about the cost. He was also able to get a higher agreed value if he took it to them for an inspection, which I think he was planning to.

18. Bombjedd

Bombjedd New Member

Shannons insured my new 75 Microbus for $10,000. They are great.

19. 4inabus

4inabus Active Member

Called Shannons, just started talking to the guy about the Kombi, (general chit-chat) he asked how much I paid for it, I told him & he said no worries we will insure you for that amount.
    R.A.C.Q were going to insure it for market value $1200. (wot the????)

20. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Hey there,i've been with Suncorp for years.They have good coverage and great premiums.