Kombi jacks

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Tombr, May 20, 2017.

1. Tombr

Tombr Member

image.jpeg can someone please tell me what and how the left jack is used. Thanks

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Top one....?
    Hinged section slots into the jacking point, then a handle ( missing? ) is used to crank the bus up. Archive the lot and get a safer alternative......small trolley jack for home and a bottle jack for the road is what I use....
    Cheers,
    Mark

David H likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Top one .... as Mark posted on the handle was the tire wrench used to removed the wheel nuts.

There are also T2 scissor jacks available from Just Kampers Australia which some members have used and found more operational than the widow makers in your picture.

Syncro27 likes this.
  4. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Top one appears to be an early bay and as Bert says - it uses the wheel brace to move the knob that precariously raises and lowers the bus/ camper. The others were late bay jacks if you were game to use them...

Also as Bert and Mark said - they are not safe to use and have earnt the name widow makers....

KahunaKombi likes this.
  5. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Used incorrectly anything's dangerous.......

Why anyone would get under a vehicle not on jack stands or a hoist is beyond me......

oldman likes this.
  6. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

I'll glady accept any old vw jacks you want to send my way

7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Having it on a jack to change a flat tyre on the side of a road......and a semi drives by and blows the bus off the jack, onto the unsuspecting tyre changer - it happens! :eek:

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Syncro27 likes this.
  8. tombi

tombi Member

Top jack is from split bus era and possibly early ('68) Bay window bus. Uses 19mm wheel bolt wrench/socket to rotate. Nothing wrong with these guys if used correctly and with caution.

9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I disagree. VW design fault with these suckers - they start off straight, but as you raise the vehicle, they angle dangerously inwards, so as when the vehicle is high enough for the wheel to clear the ground, they are at an unstable angle.

I've retired my 80's original VW equipment jack, (same design as your photos), and now have a slightly more stable scissor lift type jacks in both my Kombis. ;)

10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Used the real Kombi jack once. Car had dent in side after use:(:oops:. Never again. Have bottle (my favourite under swinging arms) & scissor. Oh...& don't forget the wheel chock! Do yourself a favour & give them to StevieVW & avoid the problems & make another KC member happy;).
    Cheers
    BTW. I've never been "under a bus' to change a tyre:confused:.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    StevieVW likes this.
  11. David H

Previous quote of mine "just when you thought those German engineers were perfect they prove they weren't":rolleyes:
    Cheers

12. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Regardless of the jack you MUST firmly apply the handbrake and chock the opposite side wheel. Saves pain and damage..

David H and StevieVW like this.
  13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Biggest issue I've found with the VW jacks is the positioning of the jack points ..... some of these older VW's only have a single jack point which usual raises the front first (being lighter than rear) ..... so extremely unstable but in those days there weren't the freeways/highways etc of today.

People try to get the older (original) jacks vertical prior to lifting ..... the lift arm is on an angle to the upright for a reason = as you raise it becomes vertical SO you insert the lift arm into the jack point and while pumping/winding to raise ensure it remains fully inserted and when the base touches the ground (it doesn't look right) but as you lift it does assume the designed position of vertical.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    cbus and StevieVW like this.
  14. Derek Engel

Derek Engel New Member

So Kombi I just bought doesn't have a jack. Going out tomorrow to get one that I can leave in the car. Should I get a bottle jack or scissor??

Ta

15. David H

Hi Derek,
    Welcome to Kombi Club. Take the time to introduce yourself & your kombi in the new members section;).
    To comment on above I only used original jack once before I decided it was poorly designed nee dangerous:mad:.
    Have both bottle & scissor in mine. They both have their respective merits:p. Both won't work on the original jack point. Need to jack from under the swinging arm so get one that fits in that gap both front & rear. It also means you'll be laying on the ground to find the right spot to jack from but also means you're jacking from under the suspension & that means you don't have to lift all the suspension travel before the wheel starts to leave the ground. ;). Don't forget the wheel wedge on the offside to stop it rolling.:eek:

"just when you thought those German engineers were perfect they prove they weren't":rolleyes:

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Derek Engel likes this.
  16. Derek Engel

Derek Engel New Member

Thank you David