1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kombi leaking fuel

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Jenny Frappell, May 17, 2016.

1. Jenny Frappell

Jenny Frappell Active Member

My Kombi is leaking fuel. I drove it on Wednesday and didn't notice anything, but when I went to drive it on Friday there was a substantial pool of fuel underneath the right hand rear side of the car.
    I have booked it in to my regular mechanic to have a look because he is close by, and I am not game to drive it to far. Hopefully it's not to bad. I have read a few of the forums about what could be the problem. Any advise on what to double check?

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Dont even try to start it .

Find the source and ensure its fixed and checked or have it towed.

3. Tocutta

Tocutta New Member

fuel leaks...hmmm....even after several millennium and enough knowledge...I fitted a " tick-tock" fuel pump, initially just to check the engine, left it there.....lets not forget the syphoning thing! or a fuel shut off valve. I'd like to change the noisy tick tock pump for something quieter and an electric fuel shut off valve..For those that have done this, could you let me know which pump and valve you used..1800cc Solex ...thank you,,!

4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Search for the company www.injectorsonline.com.au and look for a Pierburg 3-5psi lift pump.($95) Rotary vane type. Next fuel lock out solenoid from LPG gas ($44) suppliers (bluelpg.com.au). And finally from the same company a Peel (CP50) ($42, $10 cheaper than JK) LPG safety switch that connects to the coil and switches the pump off if the engine stops.

Fit it all up how you want (the pump and lock off solenoid are 5/16 or 8mm so some adapters may be required) and you will have a reasonable replacement with out the dreaded ticktock.

Adrian

5. Jenny Frappell

Not safe even for a short distance?

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Not recommended ..... some would take the risk if they didn't know where the leak was coming from. Could be from fuel filler neck/inlet hose as it would leak into the top of the wheel arch where the paint tin lid cover is and slowly weep through the join in the metal, or it could be from the tank outlet as (think) it would be on the lower right hand side of the tank - fuel hose/filter/pump epending on what setup you have.

7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

IF the leak is from the tank outlet connection, be aware that the starter is directly below.... Turn key= spark+fuel leakage= fire.......be very careful.
    Cheers,
    Mark

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Dont even turn the key on.

Until you know where the fuel is coming from you cant tell if it is going to get critical or how much vapour is going to be in the engine bay.
    Just because there can be leaks that dont ignite , that doesnt lessen the risk of an unknown with plenty of fuel dripping.

Enclosed engine bay, plenty of fuel, lots of. Electrical connections / cables = good chance of a fire.

Considering you have a puddle of fuel you should expect the situation to be significant.

And dont believe any fb type advice to just try it.
    The consequences if it goes up is usualy a burt out bus.

Best to play safe when the result could be serious and uncontrollable.

Probably not too serious to actualy fix so see if you can find the source or ask your mech to do a home visit :)
    RACT?

Trace up from puddle to find the leak

9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Incontinence is a terrible thing..

Jenny Frappell likes this.
  10. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Yep, get a torch and look underneath the fuel tank from the outlet above the starter and check the fuel lines to the engine - it could be just a loose fuel hose clamp.

11. oldman

12. Jenny Frappell

I really wish that I could iron out the gremlins and have a vehicle that I could trust.

13. MAP77

MAP77 Well-Known Member

You'll get there, don't forget that we have 40 year old vehicles that need love and attention.
    When I bought my brand new kombi back in 1977 it only let me down once in the 18 years that I had it.
    It was a very reliable car and with proper maintenance they will give you years of fun motoring.

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Just start going thru it methodicaly.
    Check out a few sites that have info .
    Ratwell, Samba, vw_ rescource.com
    are good sites.
    Buy a service manual.
    Check out the regular servicing list.

Sounds like a complete refresh of fuel lines and checking carbs for firmness of screw is a good place.

Eventualy it becomes obvious if you do some of the work yourself.

15. oldman

Don't fret Jenny, it's all part of the learning curve with 40 year old + vehicles.....
    You will get there...it's just a matter of time & patience.
    Think of all the skills you'll learn & the knowledge you will be able to impart to others.
    It's all part of the fun!!
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mordred likes this.
  16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Probably worth getting your mechanic to spend some time having a good look around to see if they can find "what may fail next", while it's there...:rolleyes:

Once you have the bus sorted, and the previuos owner/s neglect gone, with regular preventative maintenace, it will become the reliable vehicle you want. ;)

17. Jenny Frappell

:rolleyes:Bindi is at the garage waiting for the mechanic to look over her in the morning. Hopefully it's not too big a problem. I am good at detailing and cleaning cars, not so good on the mechanics, although I have had some fun ordering new parts.

Mordred likes this.
  18. Jenny Frappell

I have bought a manual. That's a good idea about the service list.

19. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Feedback on the fuel leak would be good.

Jenny Frappell likes this.
  20. Jenny Frappell

:DBindi Bus is back on the Road.
    Both breather pipes were not connected, and neither had clamps.
    The Carby's were also apparently loose and this looked like the main leaky spot.
    Pipes have been reconnected, and clamps fitted, and Carby's tightened down.
    She is getting a service next week and will be double checked.
    Hooray!
    PS: and I now know what these things look like.

melissa and deeksy62 like this.