Kombi LED Headlight Conversion

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Tombr, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Tombr

Tombr Member

Hi all,

I've been reading up on fitting 7inch LED headlights in my 76 for brighter driving. Has anyone installed these headlights? Let me know the pros and cons if you have and if you needed to do any modification to the lights or kombi to install. IMG_0833.JPG IMG_0836.JPG IMG_0834.JPG

betsy and Luckyphil like this.
  2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

3. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I have been researching these for a long time now and there are ALOT of them avaliable right now. Some with ADR approval, most without.
    The temp colour of the LED is a consideration, too bright or into the blue spectrum is almost as bad as dull lights as the reflection from roas signs will blind you and make it very hard to drive in foggy conditions.
    Old technology LEDs can use as much power as halogens.
    Rubbish light patterns will blind other road users.

Best I can tell if you are not spending $700 plus you are going to be compromising something.
    The worthwhile picks seem to be,
    HELLA (of course)
    TRUCKLITE (Narva sell them here)
    JB SPEAKER (though I am not sure these have ADR approval)

Remember to make sure they are for a RHD car too as the beam pattern is different ( though most cheapies will have a generic straight beam)

oldman likes this.
  4. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Gday Tombr

I am interested to hear how you go.
    I presently poked the voltmeter around and found an opportunity to really improve my lighting. ( Disregarding new leds )

Although i had a good 14.5v direct at the alternator and battery on low beam i only got 12v and at high beam i got 11v.
    My connections have been cleaned. I think this is normal voltage drop due to higher currents.

So i will be installing 2 new relays. One for low beam and one for high beam. This will ensure i get the maximum voltage right at the globe wiring.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

And gets rid of the excess current running through ignition switch ;)

oldman likes this.
  6. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Exactly

7. peter915

peter915 Active Member

Not exactly true
    The High beam I know is powered via a relay which is switched by the indicator lever switch
    Therefore the high beam is not through the ignition switch
    Not sure about low beam - maybe direct
    All LED's use a fraction of the current that equivalent incandescent bulbs use.
    Therefore stock wiring in most cases is adequate.
    The one common fault - especially with VW is a poor earth.
    Because LED's use so little current unlike a filement bulb it only takes slight corrosion at the earth to stop the LED working.
    Typical earth point in a T3 VW
    https://goo.gl/photos/5M2bfjNiRzFWgJhy8
    This earthing items are earthed to chassis via one single self tapper screwed to body - in no case is the paint removed under the earth point ? ? :(
    My earth points - using a what is called a Power Post - I love em.
    https://goo.gl/photos/yQbEJnq9Y7pYM7U17
    I then co-join other Power posts (brown wire) and then multiple bolted earth points to chassis using SS screws or bolts.
    Then check with a multi meter for nil resistance 0000
    Remember, 12 volt has very little power or push - it only takes a small amount of corrosion to stop it.

And VW's have a poor reputation for wiring standards.

Anyone who needs proof of this need simply look at the same age Toyota - Japanese have it all down pat.:)

8. Squalo

Squalo Active Member

I fitted a set of these ones to my GQ Patrol and am pretty happy with them. Had to alter the headlight bucket slightly to allow them to fit (quick cut with an angle grinder), otherwise straight bolt-in.

Low beam is average, better than original sealed beam but probably not as good as a H4 conversion with uprated globes. High beam is like a light bar.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GQ-MQ-Y6...942176?hash=item236c5dcda0:g:mUIAAOSwiO9Xilkv

9. Tombr

Tombr Member

I don't want to cut the kombi at all, so these may not be a goer

10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Both beams are through the ignition switch. The relay is not like a normal "load reduction" type of relay.

11. David H

David H Well-Known Member

All beams ( except park lights) turn off when the key is turned off on my T2.
    Cheers

12. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

Has anyone used or tried the JTX Lighting 7" LED lights from the eBay shop, assembled in Melbourne and says they are ADR compliant.

I'm planning a big drive from East to West Coast next year and looking for something that will improve the lighting and is plug and play.

13. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I fitted led H4 headlight bulbs for Bap offroad to the bus. Previously coukd see 2 car lengths ahead and a car width wide -very serious about that too- plug and play for 140 dollars delivered.
    Massive difference!.

Probably illegal but i dont care in the slightest when it comes to my familys safety. Especially with the number of new cars with blinding lights from factory.

Inbuilt cooling fans as well. Fit into split headlight buckets. Assume would fit into bay. The lights or the fans do interfere with radio signal when on. Apparently this happens on a lot of them.

14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

That is the downside. Even my LED indicators do the same to the radio. :(