1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kombi Names

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by kombi-man, Jun 6, 2012.

1. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

G'day Abby,
    Did the previous give you the history behind the name or is it a ..da-da.....mystery?

2. Abby.75

Abby.75 Member

Sorry Kombi Man, I missed your coment... :eek::

No, I actually don't have the faintest.... I will ask the previous owner though. He's a friend of mine... I remember seeing Abby oince before he spent any money on her and she was a bit tatty.... "Why did he go and buy that one for?" was asked a lot. Answer is he fell for her.... Only sold because his wife doesn't like it. Don't really know a lot else... but he did spend about double what I piaid to buy her fixing things...

I do know why my sister tried to rename her Albert though.... I got mad and took my keys off her.... Apparently she thinks it drives like a boy. But that's ok, I can still call him Abby as just a nick name :wtf: Oh, that's right, my car, I let you drive it, pay the bills/rego, but just change her name because you feel like it when I told my friend I wouldn't.... Lots of sarcasm here, can ya tell....:p My sister is my Twin and I swear no-one told Abby she's been a bit confused.... Having finally gotten to take her for a drive.... the Kombi that is... I disagree, she drives like a girl to me, but she's got a bit of attitude too... Like today, we were driving down the road and wanted to go around someone going slower than us :lol: so indicated and started to move over... watching a guy in a really Big Thing speeding behind us in the rear mirror, who moved over too but indicated late.... Abby really wanted to hold her ground, we indicated and moved over first, but I chickened out and got out of his way... Totally different to driving a Bug.

Abby.75

kombi-man likes this.
  3. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Hey Abby,
    There is definitely a gender difference in Kombis, Axl, my kombi is a little aggressive and stubborn, very masculine traits, however, my previous kombi was a little quieter and more relaxed and comfortable, definitely a lady.
    Love to hear if you get to talk to the previous owner about the name, I think the reason he may have been asked to get rid of her was because Abby was becoming the other woman, given the money he spent on her :)

4. Abby.75

Abby.75 Member

Hahaha.... maybe. But she's worth it, honest!! :lol:

We've been naming cars since we were kids... Haven't been many boys though. Damsel1 and Damsel2 were old landcruisers, same model but different colours/conditions..... Cherry, the Jeep Cherokee Sportsman....Streakie was a 1984 Lancruiser.... Betsy, the late 60s Roadmaster caravan.... Replaced by Millie, the 80s Millard when she became too small.... Birdie, another caravan with 'Birdie' on a sticker on the side...
    Dads Porche was always just The Porche (capital letters please).. mum tried to name it once but it never stuck. Tried to brake down the garage door once by itself, and the mechanic said he couldn't find a fault, maybe should try an exorcist...?! We never named our wooden sailboat because we never finished it.

The first Beetle was named Herbie by default... it wasn't till later we found out that (most of) the ones in the movie weren't Superbugs.... He's my Baby. Lot's of fun when he was running, still love him. Very trusting.
    Sophie was named by me, when she still belonged to her previous owner... my sister's then boyfriend. She didn't have a name...."So-far-un-named"... became Sophie. She looks like a girl but is a bit of a tomboy.... Doesn't sound even the least bit girly. Love's mud puddles too, not afraid of getting dirty, even with no roof.... People tell me she's a lot like me, a bit stubourn and independant. Also gets called my Baby Girl.
    Chester was named after the little Pomeranian on The Nanny.... I swear the first time I went to drive him (I was just borrowing him at the time while Sophie was being fixed.... took two years, so I wound up buying him and now can't bring myself to sell) he looked like he was a little dog wagging his tail, very happy to see me. He's the "little guy" in Darwin, with the smallest motor of any VW up there that I know of... But isn't affraid of working hard to keep up with the bigger boys. My Energiser Bunny... keeps going and going (despite his engine issues he never brakes down) and doesn't stop. Litterally. His brakes aren't much good... Also gets called my Munchkin, because his little and cute...

My sister has a Kombi... her ex boyfriend is? was? a KC member and there are pictures on here somewhere... was called Lucy (that's what she interduced herself as aparently) but had a speling change to LUCI when she got personalised plates in the NT as LUCY was already taken.... And she was really girly until she had the body replaced (they ripped my sister off baaad) in Melbourne at one point... now the Kombi seems more male... like a guy in drag...

Abby.75

kombi-man likes this.
  5. ick72

ick72 New Member

Ok so yesterday while driving to volksbahn to get some stuff sorted we picked KIRKIE for the vans name , reason is it must be a woman as it keeps changing its mind ( whether it will run right or not ) its close to Kirsten 's name and well she is so much like the van lol . And once it has it surgery it will be a dream of mine . Ladies please I'm not disrepecting women and not being offensive .

kombi-man likes this.
  6. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

G'Day Todd and Kirsten,
    You didn't mention you had named our van when last we met :)
    Kirkie, very cool.

7. jeneva

jeneva Member

Our 77 bus is called Bear. The kids suggested it. He is agate brown and cream and cute. "Bear" also has a sort of adventurous association (Man vs Wild - that amuses us even if its tongue in cheek), sounds slightly hippy too, but also understated.
    My three year old speaks to Bear all the time. He has every kombi, T3 and beetle in Katoomba (our town) identified as Bears mum, dad, brother etc.
    If he gets resprayed in a different colour then the name won't fit so well, but this is unlikely. We sort of like the rare, daggy, retro look of the brown and it seems to suit. Ive always loved brown and no one else does! So maybe he choose well.
    He was a nuns nursing home bus for 35 years and was known as "the kombi".

kombi-man likes this.
  8. cassie+audrey

cassie+audrey New Member

I named my '79 Pop Top Camper Audrey :)
    Her name was inspired by none other than Audrey Hepburn.
    I had decided on the name well before i bought my Kombi, and after looking at a few different ones, I'm glad I waited for my '79, she is beautiful and the name suits her perfectly!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    kombi-man likes this.
  9. jesse456

jesse456 Member

Ours is Jesse, initials for my first 2 kids, since we have had a 3rd we have had to include his initials so now it is jessekah (which now also includes my initial) still jesse for short.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    kombi-man likes this.
  10. thomas.stockwell

thomas.stockwell New Member

I called my bus Brian.

So i knew it was only a matter of time before i had to get a tow truck somewhere after breaking down. So i made a pact to call my bus the same name as my first tow truck driver.

So Brian was born! wasnt too happy with it at first, but it has definately grown on me!

kombi-man and BusyBear like this.
  11. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Hi Jeneeva,
    It sounds like your boy in going to grow up a VW nut :), also, there is nothing wrong with original paint it, spraying over it will probably loose a lot of Character :)

G'day Cassie
    I think all Kombis are beautiful but there are one or two that shine like stars, I think you have one :)

Hi There Thomas,
    I hope Brian the towie knows the significance of what he has done, you will never be able to forget your first adventure together now.

I hope you all have many more adventures together.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    cbus likes this.
  12. 76Westy

76Westy New Member

Had two bay Westfalia campers and one type 3 camper (Devon) and about to buy a type 4 camper this week. All have been (will be) called Van. Definitely boys and named after Van Morrison. Couple of mates who. Came camping with us always called Van 3 (had the personalized plate, too) Daisy!! Nice name for a Kombi but, sheesh! He was obviously a boy!

kombi-man likes this.
  13. Chiligirl

Chiligirl New Member

Haha I'm hearing ya on the girl/boy feel.... To me my kombi is a boy but the previous uncaring owner referred to the kombi as "her/she" nooooo his a boy I thought for sure!

kombi-man likes this.
  14. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

G'day 76 Westy,
    My parents have had a tortiseshell cat sinice 1976 called Willie, there have probably been half a dozen or more cats in that time but they all looked the same, so your " Van" sems rather practicle.

Hi Chiligirl,
    If you have a lok back in this thread there was some discussion on the gender of individual busses, each one seems to have a definite gender and the gender may change between owners and depending on how much effort and love you bestow on the bus it may also change while you own it.

My bus is a boy, Axl, but I bet if I paint it, soften the edges and prissy it up a little he may turn out to be a girl after all :)

15. BusyBear

BusyBear Active Member

I've never named a vehicle so it feels a little weird but I've been trying to come up with a name for 12 months for my kombi.
    I keep coming back to Puberty Blue as she was in (starred in ;)) the tv show "Puberty Blues" what do you think?

16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Sounds as good as any! :)

17. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Agreed. Sounds good & you might get asked about the name so you can carry forward her history.;)
    Cheers

18. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Mine '73 Westy was named Neshy (shortening of Ganesh I believe) and had male persona.
    Once the camper became ours, it was determined it was a 'she' and her name became Pompi which is short for "Madame de Pompadour" (as named by my wife) who was the official Mistress of the French King Louis XV. Seemed somehow appropriate, especially given the MdP was actually a good associate of the King's wife ... so I hope Pompi get's along with my wife just as well :)

kombi-man, BusyBear and David H like this.
  19. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Gordon,
    It's known that MdP was better than a 'good associate' of Louis XV;). I was sure Pompi was a boy when I pronounced it onomatopoetically:confused:.
    May your wife at least tolerate your other relationship:oops: with your girl kombi. (beheading coming:rolleyes: for competition):confused:
    Cheers

20. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

What was I thinking, you can do anything you want change anything you want, after a resto the motor might be more aggressive, you might have slammed it, changed the colour to bright yellow from black, moved inter-state and got a cool number plate or just bought a kombi and made a spur of the moment decision.

It is your kombi and your family...

Sorry Poppy, I don't know what I was thinking back then..