1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kombi Names

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by kombi-man, Jun 6, 2012.

1. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

G'day KCers,
    Really great to see that Kombi owners feel that a Komb is is part or the family and their lifestyle.
    I stated this thread 5 years ago and I have have just gone through and re-read all of the posts and smiled at every one of them (except my response to Poppy..Very very very sorry for that lapse :( )
    After reading the thread I went outside and looked at Axl, he is still the same Kombi I bought 5 years ago although he has been doing it hard, I used him as a tradie's van for two years when I built my Granny flat, then he was stood next to some Subaru, watching whist I dismembered it with a heart transplant in mind. Then he stood their silently in the cold, unregistered, when we went on holidays to Hawaii, all the while I was wishing he was with us because Hawaii would be a cool place to have a Kombi.
    There goes my Ziggy Freud again :)

JUST wanted to say thank you for sharing your stories..

Gordon D likes this.
  2. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

G'day BB,
    I remember the movie, if the name fits keep it if for no other reason than its history.
    What a great movie (Hahahahahahahahahahaha) introduced Aussie teenagers to Spunks and the real use of Panel vans (confession, I owned one too back then).
    I will have to watch the movie again and see if I can spot PB (can I get selfie with PB :) )

3. Waz356

Waz356 Member

The previous owner told us he was called Rex. You can still get the "R" series number plates and a quick check found REX-074 was available. Hence we kept the name.

Gordon D likes this.
  4. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Hahaha, I remember the R series plate back in the day, when we were living in Whyalla, dad had one on an old (not so back then) HD Holden.
    Great to hear that you kept the name and found a matching plate for him..

5. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

3 1/2 years ago I purchased a dull orange rusty kombi named Flash from relatives of a very good friend.
    Have been bare metal restoring all this time with an on road date in December (fingers crossed)
    Wasn't happy with the name but understand once named should not be changed (ships have had disasters because of this)
    Being a Kraut, figured the Duetch equivalent would be appropriate, so BLITZ should be on the road by Xmas

melissa and David H like this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Going to get plates to match Rick?:D & I'll hold you to the deadline:rolleyes:.
    Cheers

7. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

G'Day retuke,
    I know changing the name is polarising (see my post to Poppy around 12 July), but the truth of the matter is, the name was given under a set of circumstances that wern't yours and that by bringing a Kombi into your family, your family circumstances have changed now too (they cost as much to run as a teenager that lives at home).
    I am guilty of being a hypocrite, When I brought Axl home he was known as "Gunter" but in my driveway that name didn't fit so to be one of the family he had to have a name that suited him, given I only know a few german male names it was and quick and easy change.

Blitz is a great name, the way you have gone about the restoration.

David H likes this.
  8. Grazza7755

Grazza7755 Well-Known Member

I've worked out a name for my 'new' Kombi single cab ute.
    It's a bit abstract but I suppose most names are.
    The ute is a 1955, same year as me.
    A band that was around when I grew up was '' Ol' 55 '' with Frankie J Holden as a lead singer. ('' On the Prowl'' )

He had given himself that name to mimic the FJ Holden.
    Anyway, I have always and still do like him as a singer and actor, he recently played a part in "a place to call home''.
    So, I have named my ute 'Frankie". GL iphone 002 (3).JPG

David H likes this.
  9. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

FJ Holden, they made a movie by that name back in the late 70's stared our very own Singrid Thornton, no mention of Ol'55, naybe they were "Looking for an Echo" :)
    I can see a Frankie in the photo, great name and great back story..

Grazza7755 likes this.
  10. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

Names for Vehicles just kinda happen sometimes.. My first Bug was called Tanglefoot cause thats just would happen if you backed of in the middle of a corner when you were going hard... Swing axles!
    My T3 was unnamed until I registered it. I had a couple of dash panel toys ( Hawaiin grass skirt girl and Chewbacca surfing magnet ) so when the motor registery woman gave me my new plates " 100 WQQ" it was a lightbulb moment. Wookie had to be it.

Attached Files:

11. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Yep,
    Sometimes it just happens like that.
    Great score with the number plate, not like NSW Roads to be that generous.
    I have seen plenty of grass skirt girls, had to go to Hawaii to get mine, but where do you get a Chewbacca surfing magnet :)..

12. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

Ebay... playerone collectables Carl.

Number plate was a lucky "grab". When I went to the counter at main roads I asked the large poker faced woman any chance of a good number? "Get a personalised plate she said.. Mmm, cant afford that I said" She went away and came back with the WQQ plate. "Is this a good number" she asked with that same poker face. There was a good women in their somewhere!

David H and micklyan like this.