Kombi owner stigma... Stereotyping...

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by beastieboy, Apr 3, 2012.

1. beastieboy

beastieboy Member

How come anyone who seems to own a Kombi could easily fall into the druggie catagory? The 60's were in the 60's were they not? Are there any hippies left?
    Just seems like you could be the straightest person on the planet. Roll up in a Kombi somewhere, and people might be inclined to think you are red eye type (not talking about flying on Virgin airways early in the morning either!).
    Anyone notice this stigma since owning your Kombi?
    It is not all bad, some obviously like the look of that type of thing and smile and stuff but always thought about the other side of the fence.
    I mean if I own a new Jaguar or BMW or something, maybe I would get thought of as a doctor or something, or business class type of clientel.
    Anyone got any stories on this topic. I'm purely curious and interested to have a few laughs! Bet a few of you have some strange stories, police interpretations when pulled over (although I have never been pulled up in my Kombi, coppers like to chase the Skylines and WRX's it seems lately), or any random funny things been said to you? Type it up!

2. Justin

Justin Active Member

i suppose the cammo "fern" appearance of my kombi doesnt really help , but i have been approached numerous times by people asking if i would sell them some weed . . . :lol:

as a matter of fact i was at a set of traffic lights yesterday and a guy in a ute pulled up beside me and asked if i had any !! :umm:

the 60's and drugs along with kombi's are all like peas in a pod , its the lifestyle and character they represent and i suppose its they will always be seen in that fashion whether we like it or not . . .

but hey , i really couldnt care less :)

3. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

Smoking my bong at the lights in my splitty doesn't help the cause..

4. carazeee

carazeee Member

I'm a pharmacist, but that means I'm a legal drug dealer! :p

5. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

And what a cause it has been and continues to be, Dakkers . I marched against Vietnam, did 5 years at Uni in the 70's and am now a self employed barrister who drives his 77 Bay to work , in a pinstripe slurping toast and munching tea....thatz why I drive an auto. No one has asked me for an ounce yet or have they gone metric? Beastie my boy, you are concerned needlessly, for you live in Adelaide the " garden city " in the " garden state. We are the hydroponics capital of Aust. Just old fashioned home grown tomato lovers. Kombis are all things to all people. Suffice that they invoke a reaction from most people unlike the vast majority of gormless carriage that people drive today. Enjoy...The other day I had a very elderly professional woman admire my van and recount to me a road trip she did in a splittiy in "65. It must have been a hell of a trip, because she was panting with a smug glazed look in her eye in the recounting. I did not press her for further and better particulars, but my point is that the vehicle will invoke a response , and at least you run no fear of being impounded under hoon law legislation. And dont forget, never carry! John Doherty in Adelaide:cool:

6. beastieboy

beastieboy Member

That is the funniest S*#t I have read online in ages! People should definatle keep these stories comming...
    Points taken...
    I would like to add... upon buying my kombi, the first modification I thought best to do, would be removal of the lime green shagpile rug material stuck to the interior roof.... wtf???

7. beastieboy

beastieboy Member

I spose if we also need a bit of legal advice in future John's the man! Probably why you say Adelaide is the Garden State is because of a barristers salary!
    Haha! All good John, you sound like your good for a laugh so couldn't resist that one!
    Top stuff rocking a Kombi to work...

8. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

By any chance do you drive you bus around wearing the bling from your avartar? That may not help with the perceeved career decisions you have made:p

9. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

'The 60's were in the 60's were they not? Are there any hippies left?'

YES You need to make a trip to Nimbin.

This is where I live, not in the past but right now.

[​IMG]
    These guys come into my new shop every day.

[​IMG]
    And the museum is next door.

[​IMG]

I drive my kombis, I dress like a 'normal' person and I never get asked to buy drugs. That must be a city thing :lol:

10. Jabobo

Jabobo New Member

I haven't been asked for drugs since owning my kombi, but apparently I look the type lol I was at a trance concert a couple of years ago, I was totally sober and enjoying the music.. Apparently though, in that environment if you are not on the drugs you must be selling them lol

But I was pulled over in my Kombi for an RBT one Saturday evening... he seemed shocked that I blew 0.00. Not illegal drugs but I guess the same sentiment.

11. Radar15

Radar15 Active Member

:lol: That doesn't sound right?

12. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Stereotypes will always be with us - Hippies drive Kombis; Hippies smoke drugs!

Truth is, when it comes to ganja, pot, weed, dope, a large percentage of people in society smoke it - from Magistrates & Barristers, Police & Customs through to your dole bludger. But yes, judging a book by its cover will always be with us...

My funny story: Last year driving back from Old Bar in my Bay with my family we were pulled over by RBT just before Tom Ugleys Bridge at Sylvania. As those who attended Old Bar last year know, it was washed out with rain. After driving for 5 hours in the rain with no heater but with the fresh air vents open to help keep the windsceen de-misted, with my beanie on, a weekend growth, my bedraggled lot piled in the back with all the saturated camping gear, plus my Bay is a bit Ratty looking - the cop does the standard "count to 10, please". All of a sudden, 2 more cops approach us, start asking questions and walked around the Kombi with a torch, shining it all around in the back, on my kids! I answered their questions, kept my cool but let them know I wasn't impressed!
    When I got home, I saw my reflection in the mirror - bloodshot eyes, growth, old beanie and I laughed. Those cops did the classic pigeon holing - old, rusty Kombi (in their eyes) full of suss bods; must have drugs!! Ha! Ha!

13. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Yes but Lorraine, you forgot to add the guy on the left runs the local Post Office and the fellow on the right is the local Magistrate...... :lol:

14. beastieboy

beastieboy Member

My avatar should remind you of VW's popularity in the late 80's. The badge became a street fashion accessory. Bragging of badging basically, and VW became the number 1 target. The style ended up in heavy demand, and VW had to produce more badges as people were also walking in off the street to purchase them. True story. This is why Mike D from Beastieboys is my avatar. They also pushed the popularity of the VW in a strange way. Who knows.... maybe under the table they ended up sponsoring them? Wasn't all bad for VW in the end anyways.
    Unsure if this was a problem in Australia, but my Dad had a GL Passat that got badged about 3 times in South Birmingham U.K in the late 80's. VW is a Hip Hop thang also from my perspective....

15. teeveezed

teeveezed Member

All my students thought I was 'out there' because I was an art teacher, then I bought a Kombi!

16. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

We moved down to the South Coast in SA. It's touristy and they seem to set up a lot of RBT & Drug testing stations. First time I drove past one, halfway past, one of the police officers points me down and starts heading fast towards me. He ushers me towards were they are doing the drug and alcohol testing. I pull up in the line about to be tested and he's bounding over toward me again pushes past the other guy and says "love your volksy, what year?"

then the stories start from him why the other guy continues to breatho and swab me. ahhh, good times :|

Now I can't drive past without getting flagged down, which gets a little annoying when, you know, your just trying to take your kid to kindy etc.

You know what tho, I started surfing late in life, not long after moving down to the coast. There's more stereotyping related to that than kombi's.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

They didn't even sell Volkswagen cars in Australia in the late 80s!:(

18. courty

courty New Member

There needs to be a like button on here, classic comment Dak Dak.

19. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

Just like this guy,
    [​IMG]

20. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

All my family and frineds think I'm a bit odd for only buying VW's that are a long way off seeing tarmac....:rolleyes: