1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kombi Prices - Written in 2009

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Roy, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

I am asked over and over again, how much is a kombi worth !!! Its hard to say, unlike most other makes & models, there is no little pocket book for kombi prices. It is really what you want to buy/sell for.
    On the other hand what should you expect as a buyer for your $$$$, again its hard to say. A difference in price can be seen from a kombi for sale on the coast to the same for sale in the country

Its a case of supply and demand in most cases and prices can skyrocket because of that vehicle’s vogue status
    In some cases, prices are so over-exagerated that buyers just presume they are getting a good deal, often not the case. Then again, a buyer may expect too much, from a cheap buy
    The following is only my own personal opinion and is only meant as a guide and to stimulate an open discussion on the subject .
    This excludes special models such as deluxe, double doors , sliding roof etc. Also you may be lucky and find an absolute gem, there are exceptions to the rule
    This is for baywindows, as we all know splitscreens are a different matter all together

$0 - $5000
    A kombi with plenty of work needed both bodywise and mechanically. Pretty much in an unroadworthy state.
    Interior shabby
    Pop top in need of repair
    Brakes in need of overhaul
    Dont be surprised if you have to spend in the region of $2k - $5k immediately

$5000 - $7,500
    Original Paint, a few rust bubbles in steps, sill and rear corner. No bad rust issues
    maybe in need of Battery tray,
    Driveable condition,
    Good engine although a bit tired
    Interior and pop top need refurbishment
    new seals needed
    if its been resprayed for this price, check it thoroughly
    I would expect a driveable kombi mostly solid, needing work over time, mainly DIY
    Probably expect to spend $2K immediately on checks and urgent work

$7500 – 12000
    Original paint, relatively good bodywork apart from a few bubbles and scrapes
    Drives well,
    Good engine, maybe a bit tired but a few 1000 k’s left in the old girl
    Interior useable and clean
    Expect to spend $$$ over time, but $200 - $900 on minor items and initial checkover and service

$12000 – 17000
    Partial good quality refurbishment in and out
    Or original paint in excellent condition
    Good engine
    Receipts for work done
    Turn key and drive without hassle
    Allow for the unexpected but should be trouble free motoring
    Spend $$ as you want after initial check over

$17000 - $25000
    A kombi which has had a total refurbishment
    Good to drive
    Good Mechanics
    new paint or showroom OG paint
    New seals and parts
    Trouble free motoring but do allow for the unforseen breakdown, Kombis are more than 30 years old and some items can fail today or in 10 years
    No $$$ to spend, apart from your choices

$25000 upwards
    A kombi that has a first class refurb inside & out
    Receipts a photo journal
    Recon engine
    Recon Gearbox
    everything new or as factory condition
    Nothing should go wrong, years of trouble free motoringas long as its maintained well. However allow for small problems that come witha 30 year old vehicle

2. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Someone stick this, pretty please? Brilliant.

3. old bugger

old bugger Member

as above but i'd say 900 to1200 outlay on the 7500 plus model

4. davidp.

davidp. Member

Hi,
    "$0 - $5000
    A kombi with plenty of work needed both bodywise and mechanically. Pretty much in an unroadworthy state.
    Interior shabby
    Pop top in need of repair
    Brakes in need of overhaul
    Dont be surprised if you have to spend in the region of $2k - $5k immediately".

I have to agree...you just described my van, Roy.:lol:
    I paid $3000. 4 months rego.
    Spent $2400 on rust
    Interior needed gutting
    Pop top canvas needed replacing
    Brakes were O.K.
    Cheers,
    David

Deandeca likes this.
  5. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I got mine for 4k and have to spend about 2k more still in very acceptable condition

6. greenbay

greenbay New Member

how long is a piece of string ? a kombi is like anything else,it is worth what someone will pay for it.great guide roy,but when it all comes down to the crunch price is controlled by supply and demand.so...how long is a piece of string?????i just bought a '76 transporter for (sounds silly but i still don't know what i'm paying)$500-$800 i think.it has 11mths rego ,runs and needs some loving and a couple of tyres.i've been buying cars for a living for 22 years and i don't know what it's worth,could be worth more or less to me than to someone else.
    ok i'll stop babbling now ,as i said great guide roy.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  7. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

OH !!...your talking about bays,not splits !!

8. I had someone offer me $7500 for my bus a few weeks ago. I laughed and said thanks but no thanks. He said it needs a bit of body work(very little rust but a few minor dings) and the interior is just original. I then proceeded to tell him about all the hard toget items that were on the car and then took him to the back of the car and opened the engine lid and gave him a peep and told him what he was looking at.

He wanted a van like mine with all the goodies for 7-8K. I told him for that kind of money he'll buy a pretty neat stocko and then he'll have to spend up to get all the go fast bits and rareish accessories to get it somewhere close to my car.

Needless to say he is now rethinking how much he can afford to buy a good Kombi.

9. Archeress

Archeress Guest

How long is a piece of string?

10. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

Another point to consider is that the prices differ from state to state too. From what I can see, we get much more value for money here down south.

11. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Well written Roy

JaneC likes this.
  12. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Maybe multiply by 2-3X.....

As has been said, Excellent thread!

13. VolksBartz

VolksBartz Member

Great guide Roy
    My experience:
    10K got me a rust free specimen with orig paint with a nice interior that JUST got me back to Sydney from Melbourne.
    Then had to get re-engineered for NSW+new motor+a few odds and ends added another 8K - ouch!!!! But now I have a very nice, reliable kombi.
    Further plans:
    Needs a new pop top some time in the future
    Needs rock n roll seat fixed as failed engineers for passengers
    1-2 more fire extinguishers
    When lotto comes my way I'll repaint in original colour too maybe!

I was one of those fools looking to find a beauty for around 8K, I do believe they are out there but you need a lot of time and patience to find it!

14. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Great stuff Roy

I agree this should be a sticky so it doesnt get lost in the mix

15. Baldwithabeard

Baldwithabeard Active Member

Excellent guide really...will prove helpful to lots of people.

...but there are always exceptions as you have stated...the odd original condition kombi out there that wouldn't necessarily be in need of refurbishment...in fact refurbishment could/would be discouraged...and could sit in a higher price bracket...

would be interesting to look at the price guides a couple of years back !

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  16. flipflop

flipflop Member

It's also a handy guide for insurance.
    Shannons only need 6 photo's inside and out for agreed value. I insured my 70 deluxe for 20k, it's not restored, but very good condition, all I've done is replace the windows seals, all brakes and bearings and lowered it the correct way which turns out expensive, all done for piece of mind and aesthetics.

17. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Yes it is for bays, I was talking to a few mates and we worked out how much I had spent on my split and I have done most of the work myself, I wont post how much as most wouldnt believe it.

And yes prices of bays will only keep going up

Dave

18. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Hi flipflop...i'd be interested to know what's involved in having a bay lowered the correct way?

19. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Agree, great post - very good price points for conditions specified! Having been around Kombis for quitea few years now, I have seen appropriate samples in every range.

I would like to see one for Splits though!
    Anyone???

Rich

20. pvwg

pvwg Member

I have been offered 11,500 recently my best offer before 2 years ago was 7,500
    a lot of people want a Kombi now I have been stopped a lot lately asking if I will sell
    very good guide from Roy saw a Kombi recently a guy bought for $8,500 was a bargain worth about $15,000 still some good buys around