1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kombi Prices - Written in 2009

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Roy, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

It is owned by Wayne Penrose

3. andrewjdriscoll

andrewjdriscoll Active Member

Hello to all,

I was fascinated by this thread when I first joined the Kombi Club. I must have read it many, many times. It's now eight years since Roy posted. I'm wondering if someone, or multiple someone's, would consider updating it? I'll leave it to the wiser and more experienced on here. Should reiterate how much I enjoy this forum. I don't post a lot, but I'm on here everyday.

all the best,

AJD

David H and Miss Rosie like this.
  4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I think it would be safe to say you could add 50% to each of those original valuations.

David H likes this.
  5. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

I feel that splitty prices whilst still high have slowed considerably to what they were in the last 12-18 months. The 80k range or plus ones are taking a longer time to sell or not selling at all. America seems to be over run with Brasillian splits. Have seen what seem to be some very reasonably priced splitties in the UK market place, albeit hard to say without physically seeing them. Bay window prices still vary considerably but there do seem to be a few very expensive ones for sale which I scratch my head at. As always , you have to go check them out to see what your actually getting and wether they are worth what is being asked. They are only worth what people are willing to pay. Just my opinion

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I would go double easily lower to mid range and triple the immediate expenses.
    ;)
    Broadly, as for most people its cheaper to buy something sound rather than get sucked in to the open checkbook restoration black hole....

Sound bay, clean in all respects , genuine no rust or shonky repairs, without necessarily new motor or interior but VGC reliable long term probably starts at 30k now.
    (Expect a fair bit of sound maintenance completed and some good refurbishment on a good base)

Late bay.
    New motor, good mechanicals, original clean body that's been repainted properly and a top interior ,40- 45k
    Presents VERY well.
    NOT an imported 'resto' or someone's fantasy while on drugs.
    ( will have cost 60-70k to complete)

Anything under 20k ( often advertised up to 30+) . look very carefuly and expect big bills
    (10-20k ,at least and just the basics) for panel and mechanical unless you can do it yourself.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    David H and Poptop like this.
  7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

David H and Aspro like this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Very muddy waters, insured value & claims of apparent worth based on $ injected into a resto.......:rolleyes:
    Reality is that very few, if any, restored vehicles are worth what the owners tipped into them.
    Insured value is not reality either....insurance companies will increase the "worth" but increase the premiums accordingly...ie you want a higher insured value? you will pay more in premiums......
    At the end of the day, if you are happy with the vehicle and what you paid, it's a win win.
    Waaaay too many folks tipping money into kombis in order to capitalise on their popularity (flippers)
    I personally don't care what kombis are worth 'cause I enjoy them for what they are and not what someone else thinks they're worth........;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Jethro likes this.
  10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Good points Mark, but at the bottom end of the Kombi scale, when I "tipped" $4500 into my bus, for an engine rebuild a few years back, to make the Kanga Banga go again, and the NRMA insured value was only $4100.......I had to look elsewhere. o_O

oldman likes this.
  11. David H

Nice to have $ spent supported & protected by insurance value;). Not selling or flipping. Just pleased my costs are covered:D & they see a well done bus resto.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    oldman and Squidy like this.
  12. David H

One of the most missed points of insurance is that it relates to the body & panel damage. Not where the vehicle is as a complete package esp drive train/engine.
    Cheers

Grantus likes this.
  13. David H

"I personally don't care what kombis are worth 'cause I enjoy them for what they are and not what someone else thinks they're worth........;)
    Cheers,
    Mark"

I don't care what a Kombi is worth either;). Just love the times I've had with my kombi & hope to protect that to have more good times. How do you protect your continued enjoyment of your Kombi Mark? Has a value based somewhere........esp if a 'write off' by another vehicle. Bit hard to replace:rolleyes:!
    Cheers,

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  14. oldman

No argument from me Grant. Money spent on longevity is wisely invested.
    Point I was trying to make, was that some folks spend upwards of 50K bringing a vehicle back to life and then have the expectation that the market should reflect monies spent. Harsh reality is that it won't, or rarely does.
    I spent 7K on an engine/gearbox rebuild when I first acquired my kombi.I didn't expect Shannons to increase the cover by the same amount just because I chose to do that work....NRMA are renowned for undervaluing vehicles and why all ours, not just the kombi, are with Shannons.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

15. oldman

Again, no argument from me David....that's why I'm insured with Shannons....but not for $50K !
    Cheers,
    Mark

16. Grantus

Insurance values need to be feasible. I would be looking to buy another T3 if one of mine was written off, and therefore have policies that will pay out at least 90% of the cost to buy another. ;)

oldman and David H like this.
  17. David H

I loved the fact that they did $30k for under $400/p.a. Where could you get that other than Shannons? Happy to have my continued 'enjoyment of the ride' covered. Oh...& mine is a nicely restored bus;):D & I'd have trouble if some b**tard hit it & hurt the old boy........esp after resto. Old boy is going to be here after I've gone. Understand that he will outlive me & I want that to be insured to happen;).
    Cheers

18. oldman

Unfortunately, some people's perception of the value of kombis does not reflect their true worth. I mean really, what other 40 yo+ vehicle is "supposed" to be worth more than the current year model of the same marque...?
    (Aside from the Ferraris etc., truly classic vehicles imo.)
    I just do not think kombis are worth what some folks think....
    Cheers,
    Mark

19. David H

I do understand your view about the 'new marketplace' of Kombi's & flippers & unrealistic prices that people with lots of money pay.
    Depends on the joy one gets Mark. Having had mine & others for over 38 years mine's a million dollar kombi for the memories me & my girls have & I've been pleased to restore him for the next 40 years. Bit hard to think your bus doesn't get buried with you???
    As to current model same marque........where do I get one of them & what do they cost as a camper? & are they 'balanced' like my rear wheel drive?
    Cheers

20. Grantus

But "market value" is actually the price the "market" (buyer) is prepared to pay at any given time.

Like it or not, lately, as buyers are paying high prices for Kombis, that does then reflect on the current "Market Value".o_O

David H likes this.