1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kombi Terror Campbelltown

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by Jurgen Grossmutter, May 5, 2017.

1. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

My uncle taught me to drive. A single lesson in both a HT Brugham and an 1100K Mini.

My stepfarter had gone back to the Farterland and my clueless mother had no idea. The Kombi stood in the driveway. Keys were cut. I then reigned terror on the the bogan suburb of Campbelltown (Adel); back then more bogan than the Syd. one. I'd usually pick up kids from Campbelltown HS. Sometimes 15 14-17 year olds. We'd get stoned and slide the van around every corner possible. It was amazing how quick I got to learn the art of oversteer.

Out the front of the Red Apple Restaurant (so-called) l was going to to follow the semi-circle when a mate said "go left" and I did....on the 2 drs side wheels and about 12/13 teens in it.

The brakes stopped working but being yobbo I just kept driving it. One night the police followed me thru Adel's more salubrious eastern suburbs. No brakes. Well we just kept smoking dope all the way to Murray Bridge when it was only 25% freeway and inc the Devil's Elbow to Eagle on the Hill. How I drove that 90kms without crashing l have no clue. And we came back the same crazy route.

On a trip from Tea Tree Gully to Norwood (Adels NE / Eastern suburbs) I kept up with a Datsun 120Y but he was prob not crazy like me. My front seat passenger was freaked.

My best passenger was German Shepherd. He maintained his balance well. He was a good stoner as well.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    David H and Luckyphil like this.
  2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Nothing has changed hey Keith :)

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

So , that's an ad in favour of spending money on the kids professional driving lessons ;)

4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Jurgen,
    Love your tale:D.
    Now that tale is a great reminder for me of my youth.
    Dad taught me to drive in a 64 mini in 66 aged 9. Big mistake for him ....not me.
    My best friend was an Old English Sheep dog & I think the same 15 mates you had in the car that I'd copied keys for whilst I innocently washed my parents car (& then jumped on my dirt bike..ridden far thru bush..got copies etc. & when they went out;):rolleyes:o_O). That Datsun 120y you kept up with "I rolled doing a reversing 180 spin in in 75". Rolled a Mazda 1300 with 6 mates on board in 72 (years before license). Welded a sump on dads 74 fairlane 351 at midnight, after grinding just a little too much off & it leaking, on a hoist without draining oil.
    I'll stop now before I fess up on the greater story of the rest of my misspent youth & my thankfullness I got to get old.:eek:
    Cheers

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  5. Jurgen Grossmutter

My misadventures in Beetles were even crazier.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yeah.
    There are times when its not our fault we are still alive.

David H likes this.
  7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Did my best;). Still here.o_O
    Cheers

8. Jurgen Grossmutter

Yes, I know, highly irresponsible.
    But perhaps it could be explained by "Born to Run" & "Like a Rolling Stone". I embodied those two songs.

I missed accidents on my motor cycles because I was going too fast.

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Not having a go.
    Just my reflections on own and others learning period of driving.
    I expect many of us have survived by sheer luck.
    For me it creates some degree of patience with others when they make mistakes ,on or off road.(although many who have driven with me may disagree )
    Many a time I also have driven home VERY carefuly after a near miss.
    Often it has been the reactions of others that has prevented a serious smash.
    Thank goodness for crappy cars that let us slide at low speeds ;)

10. Jurgen Grossmutter

All's good cbus. I have slowed down a lot but dream of a B32.