1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kombiclub Members Rule!

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by VZR69, Jan 3, 2016.

1. VZR69

VZR69 Active Member

A little story about how awesome kombiclub members are.
    My daughter, her friend and myself went to the Falls Festival in Byron Bay in buttercup which ran beautifully on the trip down.
    Through the forum I found out that Kai was also going and we arranged to meet to talk about our kombis and other important stuff.
    Because of constant mobile phone charging and occasional stereo use of course buttercup ended up with a flat battery on day 3 of 4. I did have jumper leads and a young lady in a Yaris was conveniently parked right behind us but for the same reason as us it also had a flat battery. Because we were hemmed in the middle of a campground you cannot move any vehicles for the 4 days. So I called up Kai who was camped a fair distance away and he offered one of his 3 batteries to get us going. Anyway I was looking for a wheelbarrow to cart the 20+kg battery and in doing so found someone two camps down who offered their loose battery so we ended up getting both cars started off that. This morning when it was
    all over buttercup refused to start but we could jump off the Yaris so we ended up in the line to leave that went for miles. Greta accidentally stalled so we needed a jumpstart again! Luckily a fellow behind us obliged and Kai was a few cars in front in the line that wasn't moving and diagnosed a dead battery with his multimeter after half an hour of idling. We discovered that an old kombi will keep running even with a stuffed battery but in knowing that we had to stop for fuel on the way home Kai kindly lent us his spare deep cycle battery that we could jumpstart off if we stopped anywhere.
    Another problem we had on the way out was that because we were idling for at least an hour the worn out carby was playing up and the engine was
    running very rough and puffing smoke when revving. It must have been excessive fuel of something because after a couple of miles it was running sweet again and the battery gained charge again once we were cruising and in the end we didn't need a jumpstart at the servo but it was nice to know that a fellow kombiclub member did everything he could to help us get home!
    So a big thanks to Kai (and his sister) for the help and good company on the long haul to get out of Byron parklands.

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Kai & Tallisha are really nice people & a credit to their folks.....
    ( Hi Moe ! )
    Cheers,
    Mark

Kai and melissa like this.
  3. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Yup, what Mark said. Good onya Kai and glad you managed to home

Kai likes this.
  4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Good stuff Kai!

You are an absolute asset to the Kombi Club. :)

Debstar and Kai like this.
  5. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

We love being in the company of Kai and Tallisha (and Moe):) Good on you Kai.

Kai likes this.
  6. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Just a note, the alternator wont charge very well until the revs are increased quite a bit above idle and constant. Idling wont charge a battery. You would have had the engine up to temperature but probably fouled the spark plugs so not completely burning the mixture which a good run has cleared.

Kai is awesome and always good to have around to help.

Adrian

Debstar likes this.
  7. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Hey Greg, good to meet you and your daughter + her friend. Glad to hear you got home safe and issue free. Thank you for the praise. I will do anything I can to help out a fellow kombi owner. I've gathered so much information and help from others here on the forum and am only too happy to help out.

I still can't believe your daughter let you tag along to Falls Festival with her! :p See you at Splendour ;)

peter drogi, Squalo, ruby6689 and 2 others like this.