1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kombis or Kombies???

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GypsyWannabe, Feb 28, 2011.

1. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Hi all,

What is the plural of KOMBI? is it KOMBIS, or KOMBIES? :umm:

(Please don't tell me it's KOMBII...! :rolleyes: )

I have fallen into a "Weekend Warriors" rock'n'roll band with the gig in a couple of weeks and we have decided to call ourselves "The Fried Out Kombis" but I want to get the spelling right...

Weekend Warriors is a 5-week program run for generally over 35s reliving their former glory days of being in a band or maybe they are lounge room musos and have never played in a band... anyway, it's pretty exciting - the "coach" is Dai Pritchard (guitarist for Rose Tattoo and formerly for Billy Thorpe) and he just might jump in and play on a few of our songs! :cool:

The gig is at 5pm on Sunday 13th March at the Bald Faced Stag Hotel, Parramatta Rd, Leichhardt if you're in the area and want to come along for a bit of a laugh and to lend support! There will be 4 x Weekend Warrors bands, with a 30 minute set each (7 or 8 songs). Cover charge is $10 with all proceeds going to the Australian Music Association's (?) charity for disadvantaged kids.

Kids are welcome, with the usual supervision required in a pub, of course. I will try and find out if a family discount is available.

But is it KOMBIS or KOMBIES??? :lol:

Thanks and cheers,

Baz

2. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Baz, you should have made it a poll. Then you could have been all anal with a statistical outcome... :rolleyes:

I like the sound of the Weekend Warriors thing; it's something that would be awesome to do. Shame I'm neither over 35 nor in Sydney...

Oh, and to answer the question - I've always spelt it Kombis. Buuuuut, I guess using English language rules, it probably should be Kombies... (didn't help, did it?)

Julian.

3. GypsyWannabe

Julian,

I have always spelt it Kombis, too!

I believe the original concept for Weekend Warriors was aimed at Over 35s but there are no hard and fast rules and there are a couple of youngsters under 35! :lol:

There are a few programs in other states/cities, generally in association with Allans Music/BillyHyde - more info here:

http://www.weekendwarriors.org.au/

and here:

http://www.allansmusic.com.au/Promos/Events/9.aspx

Cheers,

Baz

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  4. CAPTAIN

CAPTAIN Member

I'd agree....just add an "S"

And what an awesome concept!! I've only heard of 'old school' skaters/freestylers etc now there's rockers/musicians reviving their old creative outlets!!

5. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

Just add an "S" :)

6. GypsyWannabe

The Fried Out Kombis we are then! :)

It is a great concept. There is a program starting soon in Newcastle and also in Parramatta (gig at The Albion), which will be better for me than the drive to Alexandria and Leichhardt.

It is certainly challenging. Being mainly a so-so acoustic guitarist (campfire and lounge room mostly), it is fun to grab an electric (I borrowed my son's Telecaster) and have a crack at songs I never dreamed of playing/singing. One of the guitarists had to pull out, too, reducing us from a 5-piece to a 4-piece band, which means I have to step up on guitar, too! We are playing mostly older songs but some of the other bands are playing later stuff. Our set list will probably look something like this (in no particular order):

Dead Flowers
    Good Times
    What I Like About You
    Unguarded Moment
    Jean Genie
    Old Time Rock and Roll
    Highway To Hell
    The Letter

So, all pretty simple and there's a bit of variety there. I'm lead vocal and some of those songs are stretching the vocal chords in the upper register and I think our drummer chick :cool: will take Highway To Hell, so I can have a rest! Hopefully, we can tune the guitars down...

Hope I can memorise all the lyrics in the next 2 weeks! Plus learn the guitar bits I didn't think I was going to have to play! :eek: :wtf:

Baz

7. CAPTAIN

CAPTAIN Member

Lyrics = Ipod all day and night and the lyrics will sink in.

Sounds brilliant....that is exactly what they set out to do...give you that buzz and the build up of gigging.
    I'd offer my talents on the triangle but I wouldn't want to hog the spotlight.

8. Seany

Seany Member

You can do an ACDC and drive around the city rockin out in (or on if a SC) a kombi.

And yes just add an S. Kombies would be the plural of Komby or Kombie. Whatever you do, don't add an apostrophe or I will hunt you down.

Good luck, it sounds like a great idea.

Love the band name by the way

9. Seany

Seany Member

Oh and I love the idea of you grabbing your son's tele to rock out.

Learn them on acoustic, will be a breeze on electric.

10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Way to go Baz.

Don't think I''ve seen anyone refer to a number of kombis as kombies = KOMBI's or KOMBIS (but then english was never one of my strong subjects) ;)

11. GypsyWannabe

And why not? I paid for it! :lol:

He already grabs my Ovation acoustic/electric whenever he feels like it! He's a much better guitarist than me - he can stretch about 7 frets! :eek: He can read tab and I can't so well - but then, I can read music and he can't... :wtf:

Looks like consensus is Kombis. :cool:

Baz

12. Marty

Marty Active Member

Just add an 'S'. It really grates me when people spell Kombi "Combi" "Kombie" or "Combie" *shudder*

13. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

The spelling Combi is fairly common in the US and parts of Europe. Australians are generally the only country that refers to the T2 as a Kombi, short for Kombinationskraftswagen in German.

Anyway, I would say Kombis :)

14. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Hey Baz,

If you read below, it sounds like you traded Janie in for a chick 20 years younger! :lol:

You know, the 'ol male mid life crisis thing... LOL

Hey, I'm an old muso too. We played in an originals band about 16 years ago. I was lead vocal/rhythm guitarist playing a Tele (which replaced an SG). Ah, the memories ...

Sounds like fun - Fried Out Kombis - cool name.

"Welcome to the party that never ends..."
    --------------------------------------------------
    ''74 Bay window van - "Janie"... gone and I miss her...

'94 T4 2.5 litre Transporter - such power!

15. GypsyWannabe

It does sound a bit like that! My wife reckons Kombis in themselves are my mid-life crisis, plus this Weekend Warriors thing!

Hey - Engadine Music (not that far from you really) runs a Weekend Warriors program. You should give it a go! ;)

Baz

16. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

NO! There can't be an apostrophe. Anything but an apostrophe. :lol:

Kombies would be okay, but i agree, clearly the convention and the one we all recognise is Kombis. When you point it out, it's wrong, but hay, a rock and roll band needs a rough edge.

17. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

There was something in the local paper about use of apostrophe. Didnt get it when I was at school and didn't get it from the local. SO leave out the postrophy!

18. GypsyWannabe

I am just using "Kombis" and that's it! :)

Baz

19. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

But is it correct?

20. GypsyWannabe

Who knows?! I'll just use old age as an excuse! People will spell it both ways anyway!

Either way, we are going to rock the Stag tomorrow! :cool: :D

Baz