Lap of Australia

Discussion in 'Victoria' started by Basil3, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Basil3

Basil3 New Member

Does anyone know if there is a thread for chucking the big lap? I'm starting to plan WAY ahead for a 6 - 9 month trip around the country. If there's no recent thread, I'll get this one going a bit with some break down sub topics for people to reply/contribute to. Including potential travellers who might like to join in for a leg of the trip. In the mean time I'll look in the search feature for ideas.

Debstar, Syncro27, David H and 2 others like this.
  2. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

6 months is too short :)
    We took 6 months, but would have preferred 2 years!! It's certainly worth the effort.
    Best of luck with the planning. Oh, and don't make to many firm plans, get tips from other travellers as you go, great way to visit all the places that are not publicized.

3. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Start it I can input Melbourne - Adelaide - a few stops along the way - Perth- a few more stops Broome - Fitzroy - Lake Argyle, Katherine, Alice, Uluru, Coober Pedy ..............

It was to be done in the Poptop, but I cheated - oops!

David H likes this.
  4. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

We did it in an '82 pop top a few years ago but did not plan any stops. What we did is drive until about 3 in the afternoon and then set up camp. The distance covered was whatever as there is a lot to see and do out there. We took about four months which is way too short. We needed to get back to Nyah for my brother-in-law to exchange contracts on a property. Now that we are retired we plan on going again but this time in the Sprinter van as the '82 now belongs to my son. We didn't see the SW of WA. Our trip was roughly from Bungendore to Adelaide, Adelaide to Darwin, Darwin to Broome, Broome to Perth, and Perth to Nyah. We have done QLD a few times so it was not on the schedule for the round Oz bit back then.

Ian

Debstar and BrianK like this.
  5. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I have read from other sites that basically you need to budget for at around $1/km - So you do 10,000kms it will cost around $10,000.00 plus accommodation.

Sorry to scare you a bit but I have always been keen to do this too.

Very hard when you run your own business to go away for that long. By the time I would get home I would have no clients left.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    David H and stusbus like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I plan on doing it again soon. Aiming for long service leave / early retirement. In another 4 years.
    Went round by push bike & hitching back in 1982 and took 6 months.

I reckon the minimum would be 4 months.

7. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Barry good on you mate ,dont plan, just go , you know the old adage , best laid plans of men and mice . Well ,best plans in the world always get changed, so why bother. haha

Poptop and Barry like this.
  8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Just plan for it when you get your “long service leave”.....;)

9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Bit hard to get out of Canberra in one day ;):rolleyes::p.
    Cheers

10. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

They have a roundabout that bypasses Canberra;):p

David H likes this.
  11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Sadly I worked for a company for 25 yrs and was part of the largest corporate collapse in Australia - $965,000,000.00
    My wife hated the fact that i had almost 12 months paid leave as a GM............... an no, it wasn't my company that caused the down fall.
    I was trying to hold together a great bunch of guys. It was the middle east expansion that caused the nightmare.
    My view of the world has changed - an a cup of tea on an open fire has a great smell to it.
    I am happy to give my all - but not my soul 2nd time.

This time we ARE going on that trip

Debstar, chris taylor and David H like this.
  12. David H

Mercy that;).
    Cheers

13. David H

Enjoy the travel Barry with no stress;). Take a year & be lucky if it takes 18 months!:p
    Enjoy the cuppa on the journey!
    Cheers

Debstar and chris taylor like this.
  14. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member

Hi
    If you look in the section kombi stories
    There are a few threads where people have documented their travels around Australia.

did a big trip a few years ago we were away for 9 months barely scratched the surface .
    Melbourne /Perth/ Broome / Darwin/ Alice / Broken Hill / Old Bar / Melbourne

We tried to go to as many festivals as we could find ..so our route meandered around different events .

Check out my kombi in front of iconic places, please add your own photos too.

Have fun don't rush you will see more

http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/kombi-in-front-of-iconic-landmarks.46282/

If you post up your proposed itinerary somebody may choose to join you for all or part of your journey .

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Debstar likes this.
  15. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

This time we ARE going on that trip[/QUOTE]

Now thats what i call positive expression,
    And yes an open fire and billy tea, after a long drive is hard to beat.
    The hardest part of any journey is the 10 minutes prior to leaving, after that and out the gate ,its a breeze ,you can handle anything that comes your way.

Chris T

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Debstar, David H and Weekender like this.