1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last few questions before my van is back on the road (Hopefully)

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Farky66, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Sorry to be hijacking the forum at the moment, im just at the last few stages of getting my van back on the road. Just wondering if anyone can help me out with these last two.

So, I took my fan apart for a clean and a paint but when i have put it back on I must have put it together unbalanced. I tried to get it as central as I could. Any tips about getting it balanced, or anyone I should take it to?

secondly and a bit more worrying, I had first start up after putting it back together and there is an oil leak coming from the oil filter. After turning it on the leak starts to turn into a fairly steady stream. I changed the filter over to see if it was dodgy but still the same problem. Any ideas about this one as im pretty stumped?

Cheers

Lochie

2. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Hi Lockie did you undo the main fan bolt or the 3 bolts? If it was the main one there is a key to align in the fan hub if it isn't located it will vibrate like buggery other than that it is pretty straight forward.

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

for the oil leak . remove the filter and checkthat you only have one rubber gasket in place . sometimes the old one stays stuck to the housing and they will blow big time

4. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Hi grumble,
    I took the three bolts off, but then I took the 4 bolts that hold the pulley part to the fan. I'm thinking it might be this that I have not lined up correctly. But at the moment it is vibrating like buggery.

5. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Hi cbus, there was definitely one rubber gasket in place. I had taken the bit the filter screws onto off so I could clean it and replace the gasket between that and the crankcase. Maybe I didn't torque it tight enough. Think I went to 10 or 14 feet per lb as I couldn't find how tight to go anywhere. Are these torques suitable?

6. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Hi cbus, there was definitely one rubber gasket in place. I had taken the bit the filter screws onto off so I could clean it and replace the gasket between that and the crankcase. Maybe I didn't torque it tight enough. Think I went to 10 or 14 feet per lb as I couldn't find how tight to go anywhere. Are these torques suitable?

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

type 1V engine ? sandwich plate fitted to give takeoff for oil cooler?

wipe the area with a rag and if poss check source of leak with engine running.

not sure on torque and i would be more inclined to remove and check gasket before tightening more.

I would defer to grumble on torques.

If engine rebuilt and type 1v then a possibility that oil cooler seals are not seated . but I would eliminate a sandwich plate possibility first . hoses? ok?

checked you other posts.
    2l

is the sandwich plate new addition?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  8. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Its a type IV engine, but no sandwich plate fitted. The leak is hard to spot when the engine is running as oil is flowing somewhere near the top of the oil filter. I will remove the bit you screw the oil filter into tomorrow if possible and check what condition the gasket is.
    I did change the oil cooler seals aswell, I really hope its not them as I imagine it would be a pain to get to with the engine back in.

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

have heard of cracks in that area but if it wasnt evident prior then hopefuly is not the issue now. again i defer to those that know .

careful inspection, and if it does come down to likely oil cooler seals then its not too bad to drop the fan housing with engine in situ.
    from memory the recomendation is to avoid the red seals.

good luck

10. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Thanks cbus, hopefully it's not any cracks. I spoke to a mate who rebuilt his motor and apparently he had the exact same problem with the oil cooler seals not seating properly. What other colour seal is there? I put in the red seals.
    I will let you know what I reveal tomorrow.
    Thanks for the help.

11. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Did you install a new paper gasket for the oil filter flange assembly? If so, Ensure it was 100% clean of old gasket, especially around the base of the studs? 18ft-Lbs is the torque setting.

What about the oil pressure switch/ oil cooler o-rings? It is not about the colour of seal but the dimension. Elring silicone red seals are of excellent quality. You need to avoid ALL SABO oil cooler seals as they are only neoprene...but should not affect sealing when new. They just don't age that well.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

As Andrew said more accurately
    its the compound of the rings. be careful as other colours often indicate different sizes/motor applications, so check . My alternate was chosen for compound and a different colour but cant remember which or brand but same dimensions as the applicable red ones.
    obviously go with Andrews reccomendation.

13. Farky66

Farky66 Member

I put a new paper gasket for the oil filter flange assembly and cleaned it but like i said was unsure about actual torque so only went to I think 10 ft-lb. Since this is almost half of what is recommended Im hoping this is where its blowing out from. I will check it later on today. The oil cooler o rings came is a gasket set for a 2L so the size "should" be right, but not 100% sure who they are made by.

14. Farky66

Farky66 Member

You guys were on the money. It was the oil cooler seals. There are spacers between the crank case and the oil cooler are these in the right place or should they be on the oil side between the stud bolt and cooler?

15. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

If you can't get it corrected I have a few spare fans,just let me know.
    Cheers Les

16. 1500king

washers should be under the nuts...., NO spacers between cooler and case.

17. 1500king

Find another fan... Agree with Grumble....unless you are prepared to be anal(like me) and manufacture the solution. Don't worry, as a youngster, I have done all of the above.... I'm not throwingyou too much of a rope though!! Need to keep you keen!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  18. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Thats all good then, I ended up taking a guess they wernt meant to be there so its good confirmation iv done that right. No leaks now thank goodness!

Cheers Les, I will try rig something up to help center it one more time myself and if no luck I will let you know. I tried to adjust it the best I could by eye the other day and it improved it slightly but still not perfect. Will see how I go in the next couple of days. Any ideas on how I could manufacture a solution Andrew? Have some rough ideas in mind but wont know if they are going to work until I try them haha. It just feels like a bit of a waste of a decent fan to discard it without trying a few more things, as before I took it apart it was good.

19. 1500king

You need to turn up a shaft to fit tightly in the fan centre, then machine a disc to press onto it, at the depth of the pulley and dimensionally tight in the ring. Once centred, you will need to have the fan balanced(they have a factory balance weight in them already), as dismantling changed the balance.