Late bay front torque arm inner bush

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by rstucke, Jan 18, 2015.

1. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Hi guys
    I've got a 2ltr 1979 bay with worn inner bushes and inner torque arm bosses.
    Been able to find good 2nd hand torque arms but not bushes. Needle rollers are still available.
    Does anyone know if the inner suspension bush is still available and where. A part number would be handy too.
    I've searched every where I know but no luck.
    Failing that does any body know the exact dimensions of this sucker so as I can make it. I've made a tool to remove the bush but I know it will be slightly mangled and not measurable when it comes out.
    What does every body do in this situation? Surely this suspension system doesn't last forever?
    Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any information.

2. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

most people are oblivious to the worn bushes and the wear on the arm.
    and yes, most are worn to varying degree.
    As far as I know there are no replacements.
    There is a full nylon type replacement. Ian[tin bits has fitted some so hopefuly will post a link.
    my guess is some turned out of brass should do the trick ?

4. splitbus

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    cbus likes this.
  5. rstucke

Splitbus and Cbus
    Thanks for a reply, ordering bushes from cip1.
    There were part numbers on the bushes when I removed them that line up to the ones that cip1 have.
    I'll be ordering them today.
    The lower bushes were in pretty bad shape
    I'll try and post pics P1190416.jpg P1190418.jpg P1190419.jpg P1190420.jpg P1190422.jpg P1190423.jpg

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

the wear is probably representative of about 25% of the sample ive seen . about 50% of that wear is another 25%. only got out about 25% that could be regarded as close to untouched.
    Like your puller.
    Was removal with it easy enough?

7. rstucke

I ended up removing all 4 bushes (top ones weren't too bad). The puller was a pusher I guess and the bearings came out easy but were pretty tight in there. I was worried that the plastic sleeve they were in might come out but it didn't. The bump stop snout held the beam off the floor level with the jig I've got it bolted to so there was plenty of clearance. Half a dozen wacks with a lump hammer and they were out. The centre support for the torsion bar limits the size of the long rod, I used 25mm brass rod I had and I don't think you could feed much larger through. Interestingly the bush is made of steel with about 0.5mm copper inlay and a Teflon coating over that. I think my forefathers knew that grease wasn't going to go through the bush properly (no spiral) to lubricate it. I also noticed that the 2nd hand replacement arms had witness marks that showed a much wider bush. Wonder is that an earlier version? Hardly any wear on the arms so might have been a better arrangement.
    Cheers

8. splitbus

Nice work

9. rstucke

Got the parts yesterday (very quick from cip1.
    The front end bits were pretty grotty so decided to spend the day cleaning them up.
    Going on hols for 2 weeks down far south coast and reassembling when I get back.
    Paint should have dried by then.

Attached Files:

10. rstucke

Ok back from hols.
    I coated the inside of the tubes with Lanolin before I went on hols. There was hardly any rust but don't want any in the future.
    I don't think these beams like creek crossings (where they get submerged).
    Finished yesterday by coating the tubes with chassis grease using a bottle brush smothered in grease. (worked pretty good.

I made some drivers for the bushes and needle bearings.
    Unfortunately the bearings don't butt up to stops so I had to build them into the drifts (took all day to make) so that they sit in the correct spot.
    Anyway they went in pretty easy
    P2090052.jpg P2090054.jpg P2090055.jpg P2090056.jpg P2090057.jpg P2090058.jpg P2090059.jpg P2100061.jpg P2100065.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Marlyn

Marlyn Active Member

I know it is after the event now ,.....I think Stockers have replacement bushes available .
    FYI cheers!

12. rstucke

Thanks Mark & Linder good to know for the future although I'm not sure I'll ever have to do a beam again.
    Not sure which Stockers (could only find an out door power equip place in Newie.

Progress over the last couple of days.
    Firstly disaster. Cracked torsion leaves. It took a day of searching and 4 sets of springs to build up the 2 that I needed to fit the beam.
    P2110077.jpg
    P2110078.jpg
    Something interesting, the welded end had the most cracked leaves. Not sure wether because not allowing the outer leaves movement(sliding) in the torque arm (only the inner 3 leaves are held by the grub screw) or because that side is the one that ends up running off the shoulder of the road (pot holes).
    Anyway the welds had to be removed to inspect each leaf an I'm not re welding ( I think it's a mistake to weld in the first place and the end plugs are very thick)

P2110082.jpg P2110086.jpg P2110090.jpg P2130093.jpg P2130096.jpg

Attached Files:

13. splitbus

Very nice

14. rstucke

Last post
    Finished the beam with brakes and wheel bearings
    P2180001.jpg P2190004.jpg P2250013.jpg P2250014.jpg

here's all the replaced parts. Cost more than I thought.
    P2260017.jpg

Before (sad to say the least)
    P5050207.jpg

After (looks good enough to use)
    P2260018.jpg

15. Anna Bay 73

Anna Bay 73 Member

Droolling over workshop. Your work shows us hackers how it should be done. I removed my arms to get the ball joints replaced on one side.The weld at the end of the torsion leaves was broken, so I welded it back up because I thought the leaves needed to be held together so the arms would go back on.
    cheers

16. andrew

andrew Active Member

I found it Rick - as ever great breakdown of process - as with Anna its easy to drool over you workshop and skills!!!