1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Late Bay Horse Hair Seat Pads

Discussion in 'Interior' started by gordo 77DC, Aug 16, 2017.

1. gordo 77DC

gordo 77DC Active Member

Hello,

My interior is being done, and the uphoslterer has advised that the replacement horse hair pad for drivers seat back rest doesn't fit, - he has come across this previously (pretty sure TMI product).

Has anyone come scross this before?

He has suggested trying HD foam from TMI, - any experience with this?
    Confirming - In reference to 'Late Bay' - is that considered 77 to 79? and IMG_4796.jpeg IMG_6133.jpeg
    did seats changed from 77 on?

Would there be alternate manufacturers to TMI?

Regards
    Gordon

2. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Hi Gordon,

The coir fibre seat pads are made by Wolfsburg West and they sell couple of different versions for different years. The foam seat pads are made by TMI and they also sell a couple of different versions for different years, but just to confuse things the break between the years is slightly different to what WW use.

I am not sure about the 77 seat pads but I used the WW seat pads on my 74 and they were not quite right and needed to be modified. It is tricky because the seats on Australian made Kombi's may be different to those made in Germany and sold in the US.

A late bay is a T2b made between 72 and 79 and has the blinkers up high, as opposed to an early bay T2a which has the blinkers down low.

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

4. gordo 77DC

gordo 77DC Active Member

Thank you,

Yes, I alway thought it was Late Bay from the change from Low Light (or there abouts), but than began to think 'Late was late', instead of 'early was late':cool:o_O.

Just got onto VW Heritage, (looked at Busstop), and there are are 2 x WW models - 68 to 74, and 75-79.

Hopefully there will be a difference - will order the the 75-79 model.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
    Gordon

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Gordo 77DC,
    I got the 75-79 coir pads from VW Heritage UK & they turned up real quick & were perfect.
    Will fit the seats you're doing.
    Good choice.
    Cheers

Poptop likes this.
  6. gordo 77DC

gordo 77DC Active Member

Thanks all for the prompt replies.

Got an order off last night.

Regards
    Gordon

7. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Hey Gordon,

I found the Late Bay WW pads to fit the front seats of my 76 DC (drivers & 2/3 seat) pretty well. The big issue for me was the back seat base. The back seat/back pad fitted the seat well but the back seat/base was about 20mm or so too wide (perhaps a bit more). The only one available (I also go mine from VW Heritage) fits a splitty and supposedly Bay DC. The problem fitting it is the dilemma of do you: 1) take the extra width off an edge (which stuffs all the pad wrapping over the edge), or 2): take the extra width out of the middle (which takes away from the integrity of the whole pad). Dave at Volkstrim is doing mine, so I left this with him to determine the best way to attack it. I'm not sure where he got to with a final solution though. Hopefully should find out very soon.

Note: I understand some of the Australian DC back seats didn't come with the coir seat pads originally and actually had felt with a parallel wire/spring support kinda thing that sat on top of the seat frame springs. I stupidly chucked mine out when I pulled my seats apart as I thought it was some aftermarket more modern resto job that one of the previous owners had done on my back seat. I didn't realise it was the original. It was all broken though, so was unusable, but it still would have been helpful for me to have a better understanding of what was originally there.

What did you do with pads/other for your back seat?

Cheers
    Euan

8. gordo 77DC

gordo 77DC Active Member

Hi Osf,

For the back seats I bought the horse hair pads and TMI original brown square weave. In the end I kept the original rear seat pads and vinyl covers, - they were in excellent condition for 40yrs old, - and I like the idea of keeping part of the originality - could look a bit sad against the the rest of the new trim, - but see how I go.

Old still performes ok ;) - sometimes :eek:.

Regards
    Gordon

9. gordo 77DC

gordo 77DC Active Member

oops - sorry - 40 is not old,:D

Regards
    Gordon