Lead replacement

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Dave82, May 15, 2018.

1. Dave82

Dave82 New Member

New to the kombi world and got myself a 82 2ltr aircooled and been told conflict information on does this need lead replacement in fuel,thanks

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

No. Period. :)

Correct amounts won't hurt but are unnecessary as the heads already have seat inserts and good valves

Syncro27 and Dave82 like this.
  3. Dave82

Dave82 New Member

THANKS cbus

cbus likes this.
  4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

In agreement, but I would recommend using 95 rather than Australian 90 octane. Even though it says it is acceptable in the manual, the octane rating applied in Aus is not the same as the European rating, ours is more like 88 in comparison. Much discussed on the internet. Works but not as well. Don't bother with 98, that is a waste of money.

Adrian

Syncro27, syncro and Dave82 like this.
  5. Dave82

Dave82 New Member

Will do and thanks mordred

6. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

The octane rating in Australia is RON and is the same method used in Europe but different to the USA.

There is a lot of conspiracy theory stuff on the internet about Australian petrol but it is mostly nonsense.

A standard air cooled VW engine has a low compression ratio and does not require higher octane fuel to prevent pre-ignition.

I used to use 95 under under the misguided idea that it must be better but changed to 91 as the price went up and it has made absolutely no difference.

chris taylor, 13bvw and Dave82 like this.
  7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

upload_2018-5-15_17-29-55.jpeg
    Cheers,
    Mark

Wattie, Dapom, David H and 4 others like this.
  8. Dave82

Dave82 New Member

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Fact remains that a lot of cars built for unleaded won't run on 91 without a lot of pinging.
    Each engine is slightly different and the vw are certainly low compression but some like 91, some don't.
    My T3 hardly runs on it.
    When daughter had a 94? Astra it pinged like crap on 91.

Run with what suits engine.

At one stage there was major cutting of 91 with excessive toluene as a tax dodge by fuel companies but this was long ago.
    Should give poor ignition but not pinging.

Mordred and Dave82 like this.
  10. Dave82

Dave82 New Member

Appreciate all the info ;)

11. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

@oldman :rolleyes: Lol .It is a topic that we are going to agree and disagree on.:D If you think you require a higher rating fuel use it and if you don't think it requires a higher rating fuel don't use it. Always keep an ear out the window for any noise that doesn't sound right for you to investigate:eek:o_O or it might just be the pinging sound of other motorist passing by you;),nonetheless use what fuel you think best suits your cars requirements or needs.:D :)

12. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Try and buy. Run our 79 2L Bay on 91 without any problems. Been going to run a few tanks of 95 to compare. Will do it one day?

oldman and Dave82 like this.
  13. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I ran my '82 camper on 95 or 98 for about 200,000 km without any issues. I preferred 98 as it seemed to just work a little better in the hills. Maybe it was a placebo effect.

Ian

Syncro27 likes this.
  14. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

I reckon 98 is better. More burn-bang per litre. Theoretically more power / cleaner burn. Of course they could be dudding us.

My R100 RS loved 98; Sadly missed.

Syncro27 and Dave82 like this.
  15. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

Run 98 to get a greater point of difference.

Also what many don't realise is that petrol takes a smaller bite of the average wage than it did in the 70s.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Dave82 likes this.
  16. Mordred

The other thing to remember is later fuel injected engine re tune themselves depending on the fuel. In that way you will notice a difference with different octane rated fuel. Carb engines don't change so if you wanted to prove it conclusively you would need to dyno one and set it up on 91, then dyno it again on 95 etc to get an accurate representation of how much change there is.

Mine runs better and with better mileage for the same load on 95 as against 91, with almost no difference on 98. Proved it a number of times on highway runs using a long term fuel record. Around a litre less per 100km on 91. Around town doesn't make a lot of difference, but most of my usage is long trips so I keep 95 in it.

Mellow Yellow, I stand corrected re the American and Aus octane rating difference, which is correct (based on AKI rather than Octane) but I am sure I read a research piece in the past 12 months that said there is also a difference in the calculation between the European and Aus Octane ratings making Australia lower. Cant find it now but will keep looking.

Adrian

hairyman and Dave82 like this.
  17. Dave82

Dave82 New Member

On all the information received which can differ from person to person i will now be using 95 thanks to all

Mordred likes this.
  18. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Later cars do but not T3s.

Our octane rating is at the refinery in Australia. Other countries are at the pump. The octane deteriorates to about 88 by the time that you buy it. I've seen/read a few tests on this and none have come up with 90 in Australia. That's why a lot of cars in Australia ping when the knock sensors fail.

19. Mordred

Sorry Syncro, I meant later fuel injection as in late 90's rather than earlier systems.

That Octane rating degradation might be related to what I saw before. It was based on readings from fuel collected at bowsers and that i imagine would account for it although I don't recall that mentioned in the article.

Adrian

20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I didn't think that you would think that. Yes it was a little bit ambiguous and could probably be read incorrectly and an urban myth would begin. "It must be true, I saw it on the internet".

The media would never let the truth get in the way of a good story would they?

Syncro27, Mordred and oldman like this.