1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learn from me - check your wiring insulation!!!

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Sheriff, Jun 22, 2009.

  1. Sheriff

    Sheriff Active Member

    Messages:
    1,560
    Location:
    Warburton - Yarra Valley
    Well, where to begin…
    A country road, at night, dark and cold… :cry:
    “Boom” – Flash – Smoke (lots of it) – NO ELECTRICS!!! :eek:

    This is the first time I have ever been stranded in the Hamburg Hotel since purchase about 6 years ago. I guess my time was due!!!

    Anyhoo…a friend towed me but I was 250kms from my actual home.
    I hunted around for an auto sparky and found a guy who could help.
    My electrics had been fried. A wire hard arc-ed, burned out, took a bunch of others with it and zoomed back through the ignition system and nuked my ignition switch – melted it internally!!!

    My new best friend and saviour had to re-run all the wiring which was impacted – check everything else and re-insulate where necessary but the complication of ignition remained!

    So now…until I obtain another switching unit…
    I turn the key to release the steering lock THEN flick the switch that used to be my driving lights to give the kombi power and then…wait for it…push the button that used to be the washer fluid button to turn over the engine. :D
    Secretly…I love it. It’s a lot of fun having a push button ignition. I learned a lot about electrics and know that everything is well insulated for another number of years.

    Anyway…this is just a timely reminder – review your wiring once in a while and check that the insulation is intact, if not, tape it up – “a stitch in time…”
    …trust me…when it blows it blows!!! :umm:

    Rich
     
  2. Klause Focker

    Klause Focker Member

    Messages:
    309
    Location:
    Greenock Western Barossa
    Thats bad luck mate,
    But at least there wasn't a fire!

    I pulled a kid out of a dodge ute that was full of smoke from an electrical melt down years ago. His mum was in the shop buying fags!!
     
  3. Sheriff

    Sheriff Active Member

    Messages:
    1,560
    Location:
    Warburton - Yarra Valley
    Good work...its toxic smelling smoke!!!
    I was very worried about the Hamburg catching fire!!! Lucky.
     
  4. Royce

    Royce Active Member

    Messages:
    1,224
    Location:
    Goulburn NSW
    Ask Juz about Kombi elecrtical fires. She lost her last one that way...Lola is scheduled for a re-wire ASAP to sort out her "nuances"...good message, on top of the fuel lines, something to keep an eye on.
     
  5. kommodius

    kommodius Active Member

    Thanks for the warning Rich.
    A maintenance issue that's often overlooked.
    I have a couple of wee jobs to do on the bus this afternoon so I reckon a look under the dash is in order!

    Ray & da Boyz
     
  6. Mordred

    Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    3,012
    Location:
    Penna, Hobart
    Just a little warning about burnt wiring too. On a fire fighting course a few weeks back we were warned about the after effects of burnt automotive wiring. One of the chemical compound it contains when burnt is Hydrofluoric acid. This is extremely nasty stuff which loves calcium ie your bones and if it gets on your hands in reasonable quantities will permeate your skin and attack your finger bones. The only way to stop it is to amputate you fingers. I am not certain if there is a problem with the wiring that is of the age of our cars, but it might be an ides to be a little careful around burnt wiring of all types. Disposable gloves from the supermarket are very cheap.

    If any body knows more about this feel free to put me right, just thought people should be aware.

    Adrian
     

Share This Page