1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lines going from manifold to brake booster help

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Farky66, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Hey all,
    I was just under the van and realised the hose that joins onto the metal pipes leading out of the manifolds and onto the pipes which go into the brake booster was severely perished and i doubt was keeping a very good vacuum. I pulled it off and will replace it tomorrow.

I was just wondering what affects this would have been having on the van? performance wise, whether it would be screwing up with the vacuum, as well as brake wise as im guessing the brake booster wouldn't be working properly.

Cheers
    Lochie

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's correct.

Make sure that you buy the correct vacuum hose and not fuel/water type.

3. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Thanks for the reply syncro, Ill make sure i get the right one.

4. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

The original hard plastic hoses are usually pretty good...but you do need the grommet that fits them to the metal pipe. The grommets usually perish and the rubber hose at the booster.

Correct booster hose...

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17046&cat=&page=1

Grommets for hard plastic hoses if they are still all there(x4 needed).

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17051&cat=&page=5

Do it right....

In terms of running, the motor will run lean as it draws in an uncontrolled amount of air to the engine inlet.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  5. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Cheers for the reply Andrew, I checked the rest of the line and it looked pretty good, still with the plastic lines. Got some of that 12mm pipe from volkscare, think it would have given way if i had waited for it to come online.

6. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Those rubber grommets sleeve the plastic hoses to the metal pipes...They will ALL be stuffed and have the consistency of chewing gum.