1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living in my 76 and need help with insurance

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Franko& Selene, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Franko& Selene

Franko& Selene New Member

Hey all! :)

Hope everyone is having an amazing day/night!!

So a bit about myself before I get to my question, have loved Kombi's since I was little and finally have been graced with the opportunity to own a 1976 bay window Kombi (Selene :D), I have been living a what some would consider "nomadic" lifestyle for the past 6 months and have only been acquainted/blessed with Selene since early March.

My question is "where/who is the best insurance to go through?(for full comprehensive) since the few insurance companies I have tried to go through either 1.) Have an appalling market value payout ($3,000 or less) or 2.) Because I am living on the road won't insure my beautiful Selene.
    Any help would be much appreciated :) and look forward to being an active part in this amazing community!! :D

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Try Shannons. Not sure how they'll cope with the 'no fixed abode' but they are amazingly understanding. Welcome to the Kombi Club;). We have a New Members section. Perhaps you could post a photo of Selene there?
    Cheers

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Franko. You may need to look at someone who insures Motorhomes if you are living in your kombi.

David H likes this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Is your Kombi a camper?
    If so Shannon’s don’t do campers.

Shannon’s won’t be able to cope with not having a fixed address.
    Being Qld rego I assume there is a central point of residence?

5. David H

Mine is insured with Shannons. They just give you a bit of grief sometimes:confused:....never to me.....it was so easy;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Fair enough.
    I was under the impression they didn’t.

David H likes this.
  7. David H

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  8. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Yep, my 76 camper also insured with full comprehensive with Shannons also, maybe ill check the fineprint again. BTW, welcome aboard, many have trodden the living in a kombi path before, well done, enjoy the journey, plenty of help here!!

David H likes this.
  9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome to the KC Franko and Selene. Shannons is the most common place for insurance of kombis . Story's of campers and Shannons are quite a different thing best to ring and see who you get to whether they will help or not .Enjoy the journey wherever it takes you.

10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Franko & Selene, welcome to the party that never ends :)

11. Advan

Advan Member

I've just insured with Shannons and they were fine with Henry being a camper and my plans for "extended" trips as long as I had a fixed address to return to. All they wanted was for me to let them know if I was planning a big trip that was more than a couple of months.

David H, Jethro and prone like this.
  12. David H

Thanks for the post Advan;). Always nice to keep insurance comments up to date:). You in Queenstown Tas?
    Cheers

13. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Also check that if your “fixed address” is vacant for extended periods, that the insurance policy is still valid.

Retiree friends with family overseas, have embarked on a 4 month world trip, but found that NRMA insurance has an issue if their property is vacant over 60 days. Luckily their neighbours needed to move out for major renovations, so they are moving in for while, and it worked out well for everyone. ;)

onetrackwonder and David H like this.
  14. David H

Freeloaders welcome to maintain policy! Win....win:).
    Cheers

15. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Just for the record, I have read in the official Tas Government bulletin that a camper van under the rules is a vehicle with fixed cooking and sleeping facilities and primarily used for accommodation when stationary. If you have a fixed gas cooker for example with plumbed in gas you are a camper van under this definition. I am sure that each state has a similar definition somewhere in their rules. Insurance companies might have their own definitions and you are taking a risk if you don't have that definition clarified.

I think the point is you need to do some research if you are knocked back but don't have fixed gas. A plumbed in gas fridge could also be a reason for knock back, but an electric one might slip through as you you dont use it to "cook" with.

Just a few thoughts to go on with.

Adrian

16. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Hi Adrian ,reading your post prompted me to do a research here in STH AUST on camper van specs , now thinking about what i have read sort makes me think that i may have to make a few minor changes as any breach of these specs could result in having the vehicle being non compliant regards the insurance policy. Little things we take for granted as being OK may not be OK . tks for the reminder.

Wayne murray likes this.
  17. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

It has always been a grey area in the definition as a lot of people have variations like a tin top with a bed or a poptop with a rock and roll but no kitchen facilities. I dont know of anyone who has been caught out calling it a camper or not but these days the legal definition is becoming more important.

Adrian

chris taylor likes this.
  18. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I had Shannon's inspect Blitz with everything on board at the Fairfield nationals this year.
    Removable cooker with 2kg gas bottle, 12/240v Engel fridge, r&r bed, pop top. Pantry over the fridge full of food.
    They had no trouble increasing my insurance cover, and we had a conversation about amount of use (it's not a daily driver) and camping.

David H, Wayne murray and KahunaKombi like this.
  19. David H

I totally agree;).
    I'm relaxed about old boy given total provenance & continued NSW rego since new. On board plumbed gas for stove & fridge. So nice to find out he's a camper after 42 yrs;):p. Thanks Tas government.:p
    Cheers

Mordred and onetrackwonder like this.
  20. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Yep, I for one ,have been of the opinion "she will be alright mate " when in fact from an insurance legal point of view it may well not be alright . So better to make a few safety changes now and be safe rather than wait till something goes wrong.

Wayne murray likes this.