1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lola is smelly - will she always be?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by kyznet, May 17, 2007.

1. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Lola has been checked by a VW mechanic for the once over after hubbie changed her heads, cleaned everything else and replaced the filters.

She's now running A1, but is still smelly. Reece says there's a "lovely smell of burning oil", but I'm not sure whether or not it's a combination of petrol and oil.

Do other Kombis (regardless of whether they're Splits or Bays) have that smell forever, or is there something else that could/should be checked?

I'm planning on getting some carpet for sound proofing to put over the engine bay, but just wondering if the smell is all part of the allure of driving a Kombi. :) Thanks guys.

2. kombidaze

kombidaze Member

if your in the cabin driving you should not smell petrol (unless it is the dreaded old filler tube rubber senario), up around the air inlets at the rear yes old kombies do sometimes smell of petrol fumes usually from the carbies weeping around the accelerator pump area, as for oil it is possible to get the odd smell maybe a tail wind if you have the window open and driving slow can push the exhaust gases up front or perhaps there is oil leaking onto the heater boxes from a weeping push rod tube seal, certainly not uncommon, causing an oily smell, best to lift the engine lid and have a good look and smell around also a good look around underneath the motor if you feel its not right it probably isn't.

3. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Most Kombis will smell a little oily from the outside and from the inside with the heaters on, as many of them as kombidaze mentioned, have a tendency to weep from the pushrod tube seals, and also from damaged rocker covers or cheap nasty badly fitting cork rocker cover gaskets... onto the exhaust manifold or the top of the heater box. If the engine is worn and therefore has a fair bit of blowby pressure in the crankcase, it can compound the effects of an oil leak by forcing the oil out under pressure... I end up with a fairly sizable puddle under BC when I have her running stationary for a length of time.

Cheers!

4. Archeress

Archeress Guest

Are you sure K1 that it is indeed Lola that is the one that is smelling........
    Could be something else.....oily rag in glove box perhaps?:rolleyes:

5. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

are you sure you not getting your finger pulled !

6. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

At canberra

At the national event in Canberra there was a definate smell of kombis in the air! I kid you not! They do smell at least the old ones do. Check that the sump/gearbox underneath is not oil-wet. If it is use degreaser and clean it. If the engine is clean and the underneath bits are clean then you should not be getting any smells. I have my heater permanantly disconected as I cant stand the engine fumes that it sucks up. If there are no petrol stains inside the engine bay near the carbies then all should be well. Another thing you can do is lift your carpets and plug up any old screw holes etc where exhaust fumes my suck in. Good luck or just check out the odour eaters at the supermarket.

7. chopper

chopper New Member

Hi 'ya Kyznet,

It's all part of the Kombi driving experience, although in some it's worse than others-even with carpet on the engine bay. Mine sure smells of oil and sometimes petrol-that hopefully will change when my new engine goes in as the old one has had it!!!
    Will make it to Wynnum so you can check out the Kombi-still haven't got around posting those photos.
    chopper

8. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Clark Rubber sell grommets that will fit the seat belt holes - 10mm I think. I also use them in the holes that the previous owner drilled for bolts for the rock'n'roll seat. Janie had a ply floor. When I took it out, I plugged the screw holes with 4mm grommets from Clark Rubber - I just had to shave them down a bit with a Stanley knife.

Baz

9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

My guess was as per Schmo's response

10. Blue76Bay

Blue76Bay New Member

Engine Bay Seal!

I had a smelly problem the other week. I was idling in traffic waiting for the lights to change and this bloke yells out at me as he passes "You Stink!" I had just hoped out of the surf so I thought I shouldn't smell that bad, maybe a bit salty. Then I realised what he was talking about, the exhaust fume smell.

I had noticed it for a couple of days before and it seemed to engulf the outside of back of the bus. When I got home I had a good look around the engine. Checked the exhaust to see if I had any holes. Removed the tin to see if the exhaust manifold nuts had come loose. Nothing, everything looked good. Then I noticed a very small piece of gasket was missing on the 3 bolt flange that connected my muffler to the header and it was leaking exhaust. It was such a tiny hole that I thought this couldn't be causing the problem. The outlet for the exhaust is less half a metre away and so why would this be causing such a smell. I then looked inside the engine compartment and the clouds parted, the sun came shining through and angels started to sing. A God like voice spoke to me and said "There's the answer Dickhead!" I looked down and noticed that I had about 10cm gap in my engine bay seal. Over time the two ends of the engine bay seal had moved apart with vibration I suspect. Through the gap I could see the 3 bolt flange on the exhaust. This was directly in line with the cooling fan for the engine. So what was happenning was that exhaust fumes from the 3 bolt flange were being sucked up through the gap in the engine bay seal straight into the cooling air for the engine. The contaminated air was then blown over the engine for cooling and comes out under the bus. This explained why the back of the bus seemed to be engulfed in exhaust fumes. I pulled the ends of the engine bay seal together and then got some platic cable ties and pushed them through the foam and loosily tied them together so the gap would not form again. I have been driving around for a couple of weeks and everthing is fine now.

So if you're getting smells, another thing to check would be the condition of your engine bay seal. Hot oil fumes from your Rocker Covers or fuel fumes from a weeping fuel pump maybe getting sucked through gaps in your engine bay seal into the air cooling system.

11. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Mike that is most interesting... not something I would have twigged to in a hurry I dont think! :cool:

12. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

I pulled most of my seal out when I bought Krumbli. Is there any difference between buying an original part or will hot pipe lagging do the trick as well?

13. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Kc's bloody good!

I recon this is where KC comes into its own. Someone asks a question or relates a situation, and we all share our experiences. The best part is for me... Is that I always end up learning something new! What would I do without KC? Probably drive my kombi directly to the wreckers and laugh demonically as I watched it get crushed up into a small metal cube. Ha Ha!
    Just kidding, I really love my little shit-heap.

14. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Yes Tom, am sure that that's the only thing that is getting pulled at the moment. :)

As for everyone else, thanks for your comments. Showed them to Reece who nodded his head and was very appreciative of your knowledge.

He also said "course, it could be because you don't have a tailgate seal" that there would be a smell, so I'm off to The Bus Stop (or nirvana as K2 described it) on Monday and will buy a new seal (as well as my other birthday goodies!!).

She wasn't as smelly today, so will report back to you once the seal is in place to see if that makes a difference. Even if it doesn't stop the smell, it will stop the noise when I close the door. :)

15. Blue76Bay

Blue76Bay New Member

The "Tailgate or Engine Lid Door Seal" could be another place that fumes could be sucked in. The "Engine Bay Seal" is the foam sponge that snakes right around the tin of your engine where it meets the chassis of the bus.

16. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Thanks Mike - got the engine bay seal in there already, so am hoping that the Tailgate seal will help.

17. Angelkombi

Angelkombi New Member

Maxine was smelly too - oily burned fuel/exhaust smell - but I noticed it was cut by about 50% when I had the seals replaced (inc seals on engine trapdoor and back hatch door). Just as well as my smart alec dad had picked up an old gas mask at a car boot sale for me.

Keep us posted if you manage to get it fully fixed please!