1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Longrasser, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

Greetings all,

I recently joined up to see if I can add any assistance to repay for all the tips I've gleaned over the past year. It's a pretty sweet package of info you have here if you have the time to search. Congrats on a friendly, mellow forum.

My bus is a 1961 delux that came to me as a retired shooters ride from out far-west NSW at the end of 2012. I watched it for over a decade before I decided to jump in deep. I figure it will get done when she's done and believe that the best way to tackle it it nibble by nibble. It's a fairly clean old thing so the process of getting the up'n go has been fairly kind so far. This is no cheque-book princess. Just chasing the missing bits as I can afford them.

Amongst an old shed full of Holden's, it's making a fun change to the usual tooling.

I also hang round the DSKers but recognised so many who also shared here, I thought 'why not ?. I'm sure to meet a few of youze somewhere along the road.

From its temporary resting spot....
    [​IMG]

Slow progress as of last week.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

2. Barney Barndoor

Barney Barndoor Active Member

Mate Welcome to KC..... Good things take time & your persistance has definatley paid off.... great first post & thanks for sharing...

We would love to see some more pics of your 23 window in it's original resting place... great stuff..

Cheers....

Barney

3. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Welcome to KC. What a fantastic find, I can't believe it took you 10 years to get it. Most of us wouldn't have waited 10 mins to ask about it.
    They say good things come to those that wait and it certainly has for you. Well done.

Look forward to seeing your progress, looks great so far.

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Looks great - I can hardly imagine a 23 window being a shooters bus!

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to KC!

23 windows - and it looks like ALL the 23 window panes are intact! No stray bullets then in the past? :rolleyes:

Nice find! :)

6. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Welcome to KC. It looks great. Only a short time to get it to where it is. It took me 5 years to restore a '63 SC which is now with my son in Melbourne.

Ian

7. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Looks good and quite dry.. Sell the holdens...they will be worth nothing shortly..

8. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Yeah, Every paddock find I have seen documented that was a shooters bus seemed to be retired and then shot up pretty badly.
    Very lucky bus this one I think.
    Great find.

What are the plans for it? Full resto or just fix it up nice and then drive it as is?

9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Nice bus. Lurk on!

10. jimbi

jimbi Member

Hi, took a little while to work it out but love the shed art. Nice bus too by the way.

11. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

The 23 is destined to be just done up to get going to start. For the time being, I'm trying to retain everything about its originality that I can. I have saved the basalt and beige interior as much as possible. The paint it's fine as is and I like its sunburnt roof which tells part of its story.

At the moment it is all kitted up with its 1300 and ridgy gearbox. Down the track there is a clean new 1500 and rebuilt straight axle, but that can wait. There's lots more to be done and money doesn't exactly fly in through the window.

When I first met this bus, I just thought of it as 'the kombi' and I've always had a liking for them. It had its own air of coolness where it sat out in the scrub with the other bashed up buggies. The climate out west preserved it and gave it a good baking. It was in a 10 inch rainfall area, and any rain that did fall quickly dried away, so even through the decayed soft top, rain really didn't cause to many rust problems.
    I had plenty of other projects on the go, so the bus wasn't exactly about to rust away in a hurry and it's remoteness on the property was its security.

Lichen didn't even get to grow on this bus. Lichen usually loves VWs.
    It did loose her engine and seats and odds and ends in the wait, but was tucked away enough not to get shot up. Plus the property owner keeps a good eye out for stuff like that.

All windows but one pop out survived. The front windows have discoloured between the laminate in the sun though. All the important little green ones and rear corners were good.

From the little bits of finds left inside (besides every type of bullet calibre available), not much tells of its pre-shooting life. There was a SA map with a few scribbles about the Adelaide hills, so it could have spent time there? It looks like it was never a coastal bus. There was a lot of red dirt through the chassis and sub floor, so it's seen its share of outback. It might have had a bull bar, but that was ripped off and the front end was dented up fairly well with bits of wood still jammed in behind the delux trim. The lights were well and truly rearranged ! So it did it's fair bit of scrub clearing for a short while. Nothing is too bashed up underneath, so I think he busted something critical that made it get parked up.

A 23 couldn't be a better pick as a shooting vehicle. You don't need to cut a hole in the roof. There is plenty of room for everyone, their guns, their beer......there was a good pile of throw downs in the back too.
    Only one bullet hole in it. A fairly large calibre through the floor over the engine. Maybe that's what killed it !
    Anyway, enough ramble, but everyone likes a story. Here's a few other pics of its sleeping years. The awakening is a steady process, but don't you love how you put a battery in and the gauges light up. The interior lights even came on in this one. Not mention all the little piles of red dust that trickled out once the engine went in an idle for a bit.

Cheers folks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Wow, the Holy grail paddock find!

Nice bus -shame it was a little battered in the front - everywhere else seems to have survived well.

It looks like there is prep for some Safari windows int he front?

Welcome to the club too.

Cheers,

13. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

After a good Christmas and New Year running out some quality shed time, we breathed some life through the cylinders of the old bus and she trundled out of the shed and ran under its own power for the first time in a very long time.
    The list of things to do is still a long one, but at least we are on the downhill run now.
    Nothing quite like the first drive is there ?
    [​IMG]

cbus likes this.
  14. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

That's fantastic