1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a good mechanic in Sydney to do engine swap

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Harry Johnson-Holmes, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Harry Johnson-Holmes

Harry Johnson-Holmes New Member

I have a 79 T2 that needs a new engine. Previous owner had an econovan put in to go with its auto transmission and so I ended up with an ugly radiator at the front.

Econovan head gasket blew a few years ago and the mechanic I took it to wasn't interested in the job so I lost motivation after only just getting new gearbox put in and having the electrics tidied up. Very

I'd like something modern/reliable put in and hoping to get the radiator relocated somewhere a little more aesthetically pleasing.

All past threads talk up Indian Automotive in Penrith but I thought I'd double check if their reputation has held with the new ownership that I can see on their website. Open to suggestions, but I'd love to work with someone who is patient and friendly as I'm not really all that savvy with cars.

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Are you wanting to stay with a water cooled engine? If so then a move to a Subaru engine would be the way to go ;)
    Can't help with Indian Automotive reputation since Kimm sold it ..... all I can say is I've heard nothing against them but there could be people who have had real life encounters able to comment or provide some advice.
    You have Vintage VeeDub Supplies @ Campsie who you could talk to :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

99% sure VVDS doesn’t do water cooled transfers.

didn’t think Indian did either

4. Harry Johnson-Holmes

Just got an email back from Indian

"I think you are best off going back to a good 2lt kombi engine with Webber’s the power output is very good and much more reliable

We have reconditioned engines in stock And can supply and fit for around $12,500"

I like how straight forward the response was, just need the confidence to pull the trigger.

BrianK likes this.
  5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

If you are going back to stock then consider other engine people.
    At least give CBB a call at Penrith

The only thing that needs consideration is if your Kombi was engineered for the water cooled engine then going back to stock does not “unengineer” it.

You will need to discuss with engineer.

There is that bloke in Melbourne that does conversion. The T3 on here is getting it done now.
    will involve shipping down and back

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Would second Barry's reference to Luke in Melbourne and Subaru.
    Cheaper option , seemingly well regarded workmanship by those who have been to him.

Having driven Subaru conversions i like it as an option.

For the cost of going back to air-cooled you could include a "subarugears" gearbox as well.
    Add lsd.

A good combo that increases versatility and improved power, off road ability, relaxed driving, economy.

Radiator between chassis rails works well.

7. KahunaKombi

Of the same thought but possibly Michael or Boris knew of someone who did :rolleyes:

8. KahunaKombi

9. KahunaKombi

10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Don’t think Penrose does Type 4

11. rabidkombi

rabidkombi Member

Conti engines are very good and worth a call or Matt Berry.Both for aircooled engines if you go down that path

12. KahunaKombi

So with the econovan transmission if you're going back to an air cooled you'll be looking for a new transmission also :rolleyes:

13. Harry Johnson-Holmes

Did you find it a bit of niggle having to ship it to and from Melbourne? I just worry that the extra bit of logistics is going to give me a headache and I'll end up putting it off another 2+ years again.

The guys from Indian have offered a towing service for $250 from Newy to Penrith and I've gotta say that its really gotten me excited. I'm keen on the fact that they have been very short and sharp about their confidence in taking on the job. Very refreshing from my last few encounters with mechanics around Sydney who chuckle at the sight of my poor girls econovan motor and offer no help or passion.

My only worry/thoughts are that $12.5k seems like a lot to quote without them even seeing the thing. I'd like to think I was clear in my email on the description but surely they need more details.

I'll obviously need to ask for a breakdown of where that money equates to in parts and labour, but just thought I'd see what folks on here thought as they've offered to have it picked up at the end of the week coming up.

I feel rushed but it's exactly what I need to get this thing back on the road as I'm a serial procrastinator.

14. KahunaKombi

Go back to them and get Mikki to give a more detailed breakdown and ask if he needs any further information so there can be no misunderstanding as to what is there and what needs to be done. Good to know how long he expects it to take also.

Business could be a bit slow @ this time of year and it might just fit into his schedule to be able to do it :rolleyes:

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Although a lot of " restorers" just pluck numbers out of the air , Indian will have a good idea what's needed to remove the old engine and install the new one.

It's common for proper reco's to cost 8-9+ so the price supplying everything including all ancillaries probably isn't bad.

If you indicate that it's a serious proposition then they will likely do a full quote .
    Doing such for casual enquiries is time wasting but I do prefer it as both parties then know exactly what's expected and included.

16. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Is Mikki still part of Indian ?
    I heard that he’d moved on some time ago.........but that could have been bs....
    Worth checking.
    Cheers,
    Mark

17. KahunaKombi

Think he did move on but came back and took over the business from Kimm Garland.
    Had to check myself (to get name spelling right) and he is still the owner - https://www.indianautomotive.com.au/pages/about-us
    Web page has copyright 2020 so expect information is current :rolleyes: but then :eek: fb, twit, insta may tell a different story :confused: ..... "I read it on one of them so it must be right :p as many professo_O

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    oldman likes this.
  18. Subdub67

Subdub67 Well-Known Member

Hi Harry,

I’ve done the subaru conversion on my Kombi 5+ years ago.

Rough costs

engine $1500 + Ecu Sunspares Or Sydney parts plus. Or buy complete car for about the same.

loom cut down and labeled $400 AM auto Sunny coast (makes this easier for your sparky)

sparky/ Mechanic install $2200 (included new timing belt, water pump)

adapter plate $400. (I have a 2lt box and adapted plate in my shed) now running 5 speed subaru gears box.

engineer Costs may need to be considered.

keeping your box may be the best option or get it rebuilt with a taller fourth.

spoke to couple of the guys (cbus) in the weekend at Woodstock camping event and reckon someone can do the whole conversion for $7k drive away. Don’t know the details of this another member may help you with that. Call me if you want or pm. Jon

cbus and oldman like this.
  19. rabidkombi

rabidkombi Member

That sounds like great advice form Subdub67

20. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Mikki still runs Indian, they have moved premises a couple of times

oldman likes this.