Looking to adopt my next project - Late Bay Kombi

Discussion in 'New Members' started by DAX78, Jul 14, 2018 at 6:57 PM.

1. DAX78

DAX78 New Member

Hi All!
    Joined Kombi Club as I am chasing my next long term resto project - a late bay Kombi!

Have had a couple of beetles in the past, and been talking myself into (and back out of) a bus project for years. Some of my earliest vehicle memories were of the family loading ourselves up into our sage green split dual cab and driving north to Queensland to relocate - then a year later back south again lol

Knocked about in older Holdens and American stuff (mainly Chevs and Pontiacs etc) for years now, loved the sound of big cube V8's, but miss the friendly chatter of the air cooled rear engined vehicles.

I have not had an air cooled car for a long while now, but super fond memories of the way driving a VW made me feel, and really miss being a part of the VW family, so time to build a new shed and dive on in!

I might have found the project base,
    The Good:
    It is local, 1978 Microbus 8 seater, Martini Olive and white, Auto (not sure that is a good) and it looks like it has a lot of the "Deluxe" trim on it, and reasonably complete, including hotwire mags, white with black VW logo mudflaps and (possibly)- slightly raised suspension?
    The Bad:
    Has been sitting in the guys yard for about 8 years, has some rust but nothing tooo bad, missing the centre row of seats, and looking a little unloved and untidy
    The Ugly:
    Toyota Celica water cooled engine conversion, complete with the radiator mounted out in front on the bull bar!

Have tracked down the owner and he is interested in selling - we just need to organise a time in the next few weeks to go over and check it out and discuss a price - HMMMMMMM the fun begins!

M@

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome DAX78 to the KC. Hope your vision on an later kombi becomes successful. Then you can enjoy the kombi experience restoring one to driving it.

DAX78 likes this.
  3. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

So... keep the Celica motor and hide the radiator underneath ....? I drive a T3 with Suby motor so you can tell I'm not a purist... ;) give me a modern motor anyday!
    Welcome to Kombiclub DAX78

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

DAX78, welcome to the party that never ends :D

5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

G'day and welcome M@

I not so worried about the fact that a water cooled motor is in there (I would have preferred a Suby) but what steps have been done for engineering?

If some one has just been hacking away it could be an issue - or a benefit if it devalues the worth, but not a relevant factor due to your skills

Is it a later fuel injected motor or a carby relic from something that is as old as the kombi itself?

Trying to retrofit an air cooled into a chopped up arse can be a pain if you have to collect missing bits of tin and panelling

6. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Air Cooled is cool! Good luck with the project.

7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club DAX78. Good luck with the potential purchase resto.
    Cheers

8. DAX78

DAX78 New Member

Well, the highs and the lows, called in to see the current owner again today, and he has fallen in love with it again and decided to keep it - have since found out he has done this to a few previously interested parties, so back to the drawing board.
    The hunt continues, while the stock pile of parts grows lol
    M@

9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Kombi things happen for a reason......best just walk away and forget it.
    A hacked bay would require a lot of work to get it happy again.
    Kombis have a habit of finding their owners when they least expect it.
    Better days ahead....welcome to KC
    Enjoy the ride.
    Cheers,
    Mark

OSF likes this.
  10. DAX78

DAX78 New Member

YEP big believer in the what is meant to happen will, there is a reason that i don't know yet, but all my previous VW's have found me, just have to keep one eye out for the next one that speaks to me and bring it home
    M@

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club! :)

Perfect attitude, which will help your Kombi find you. :cool:

So you can then, enjoy the ride.......;)