1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loosening Alternator

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by BrissyGeorge, May 16, 2017.

1. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Hi,

For sometime the alternator on my 2L engine has been giving me grief - it continually comes loose meaning the fan belt looses all its tension. No matter how hard I gorilla the locking bolt, in a week or so the alternator has slipped and the fan belt is loose, yet the bolt is still tight.

Any ideas?

cheers

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried tightening the bottom bolt that the alternator pivots on......?
    Cheers,
    Mark

Grantus likes this.
  3. Old Dubber

Old Dubber Active Member

Got enough thread on the bolt?

4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Is it the correct bolt and is it to long and bottoming out . Stripped .Just a thought

5. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Like oldman suggested, I've found (accidentally) you can just about get it to hold on the bottom bolt alone, if tight. So if all looks right at the top you could band-aid fix it by giving the bottom bolt some more.

Grantus likes this.
  6. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Oldman and Steve- you are the winners

The bottom bolt was loose - gave it a tighten and will check the belt tension in a week or so.

The bad news is the the bolt that attaches the bottom end of the curved adjuster plate to the heater box has shorn off - bugga!!!! More work.

Thanks again for your help

7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Love an easy fix...;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

8. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Those heater box bolts are often corroded so badly that when you try to remove them the heads shear off regardless. If you cant get it out you might be better drilling it and then cutting a new thread in to it. It doesn't appear to have a stupid amount of load on it. It isn't critical to the operation of the alternator, as most of the load is on the bottom bracket but it will help with reducing any wobble vibration which will make the aluminum of the case of the alternator become brittle.

Adrian