1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low Profile AGM Battery for 89 T3

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by ShadowVonChadwick, Oct 3, 2021.

1. ShadowVonChadwick

ShadowVonChadwick New Member

Drivers Side1.jpg Drivers Side2.jpg Passenger Side.jpg Greetings and Salutations kind owners.

Currently moving all my camping bit into a cleaner body and have come to the part where I design and build a decent power storage system.
    My current problem is finding a Deep cycle Battery that fits under the front seats in the default battery spaces.
    First plan was Optima D34 and D35 but damage to the protruding battery posts was a problem I am not keen to put in the effort to alleviate.
    Next I purchased a Century ISS Active Stop/Start Car Battery DIN65LH AGM MF, it almost fits (190mm) without the lid but as I have long legs and have cut an extra notch in the seat tracks the seat is riding upon the terminal covers. With time and vibration there will be a problem.

So I need a Deep cycle that meets the default 175mm height and cant find one.

Any one ??

Drivers Side1.jpg Drivers Side2.jpg Passenger Side.jpg

The other idea was to try and lower the base of the battery compartment !

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2021
  2. Uke Baby

Uke Baby Active Member

Go lithium. You can mount them on their side. A much better battery with more usable amps.

3. ShadowVonChadwick

Andy, maybe down the track, and LiFe arn't cranking. I refuse to own another Calcium battery.

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Most people put them under the back seat.

5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I have mine bracketed to the back of the passenger seat base/pedestal.
    I have a third battery in there.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever put them in the engine bay like the diesel starting battery?

7. ShadowVonChadwick

Temporary solution, put 7mm packing between the seat base and the track runners.
    Buying another Century DIN65LH AGM MF , they're on special 2 weeks after I brought the first one. go figure.
    Passenger sides not a big problem.

8. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

This lot works for me, all equipment in van is 12vdc except mains battery charger (if needed) microwave and induction cooker.
    Battery management and one Optima D34/78 under pass seat, 2nd D34 battery behind microwave.
    Underside of both metal battery box lids have a sheet of polycarbonate fitted for insulation.
    09-2018 Upgrade (1) R.jpg 09-2018 Upgrade (2) R.jpg parallel house battery R.jpg

9. ShadowVonChadwick

Very Nice Wattie, obviously a retired leci with control issues, ;)

What are the two Ctec linked under the Pas seat.

10. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

HI Shadow and just a suggestion, have you considered fitting two smaller batteries in parallel?

Super Start Batteries have a range of AGM Cranking/Deep Cycle batteries, 12Ah through to over 200Ah

These are their HVT range.

Their batteries start at a hight of 152mm, so you should find what you need and they are very competitively priced.

ShadowVonChadwick and oldman like this.