1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowering Kombi in Qld

Discussion in 'New Members' started by surf1979, Mar 5, 2015.

1. surf1979

surf1979 New Member

I would like to know what are the regulations to lower my kombi. if this can be done legally and what are the regs? what about the inspection and etc? and where can i found a decent place to do it around the sunshine coast? if i can get some tips it would be great.... cannot wait to relocate from Perth!!!!

2. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Hi Surf1979,
    Pretty sure if you get in contact with cbus(Col) he will know someone on the sunny coast who'll be able to help you out !!;) Good luck with your move from west to east ! Hope to see you at a few events in the future !!!:)

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Happy reading http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-modifications.aspx

Don't think anyone worries if they lower their kombi (or other brand/make) and the legal side of it - plead ignorance it was that way when you bought it and it passed a roadworthy :p, depends if it is a modest lowering eg. 3 or 4 inches or you want it slammed, dropped spindles are to my knowledge a no no but does not stop people putting them on. In Qld get it registered then no more annual roadworthy checks for registration, get it lowered and kruize :rolleyes:

4. surf1979

surf1979 New Member

Thanks Guys so far..... i don't want slammed to the ground, i just want to lower to permitted level to make her more stable to drive and also to look good too, yep it was a pity that the guys lifted her back up. I was thinking something between 3 to 5". my biggest concern was regards to the pit if i have to go every year for inspections and if by lowering it will be a problem...

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

as Bert said.
    best guy is pete at custom vee dub . Brissy
    Don't know if Matt Berry does them usually but im sure he could, Best bloke for a local mechanic for you.
    at Cooroy.

6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity. I drive like a tool half the time and I have no stability issues with my bus at near stock height.
    Are you actually having issues? In which case lowering might not fix, you may need to replace / repair the shocks.
    Or are you lowering for looks? In which case, Pete at Custom Vee Dub will be able to help. I personally would limit to 3inches as you will not need to think about speed bumps and driveways all the time. Also if you regularly load the bus up scrubbing of front tyres on wheel wells becomes and issue (I don;t have bump stops so maybe just for me).

7. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Also, you don't need to go over the pits each year.
    Pass once with a legal bus then go from broke up here. Rust / Mods / whatever. Always welcome in the sunshine state. :rolleyes:

8. surf1979

surf1979 New Member

No mate, i have no issues with it ;), actually Ive being around kombis all my life as i'm from Brazil.... and alway felt more confident and secure driving those that has been lowered a bit (not slammed to the ground) and i will love to have that feeling here too with my baby... and off course for the looks too, thanks for you concern and tips, i have just contacted Vee dub in brisbane and they explained to me as well, so looks like it is all good.... see you guys very soon on the sunny coast...

Squidy likes this.