1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowlight Camper

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by kombimatt, Nov 15, 2009.

1. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Hi all I haven't been on for a while life has just got too busy! New job, full time and kid activities keep us flat out. I pop in now and again but don't often post.

Well my reason for posting today is my mate has picked up a Kombi .

It is approx 72 model, lowlight front, big tail lights rounded early lowlight type bumpers.

Totally original camper interior pop top good condition and canvas in good condition.

Has been registered until recently and goes but he is not sure if it is a 1600 or 1800 as this will be his first foray into Kombis.

I will get some pics later in the week when he gets it home.

He is still negotiating a price so my ever important question is what is a fairly tidy, non-rusty original lowlight camper worth these days. I know it is really only worth what someone will pay but it sounds very tidy and very original. I think he said it is wattle in colour.

Cheers for any assistance.

2. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

Hey Matt, good to see you back. No idea about price, but I know there was a 75 camper in the paper this weekend for $15.5k. I nearly choked on my Weet-Bix!

3. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

You must be losing touch with Kombi prices these days Vanders. There are more than a dozen Kombi's on carsales alone right now asking for that much or even more.

4. vinny

vinny Active Member

yeah aspro thats right, most of them are averaging about $20k
    its great for us who own kombis! :)

5. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Hey Vanders,

Yeah they are certainly increasing in value in certain areas all the 72' ish lowlights on carsales are upwards of 10k.

You may be sad to hear that I have sold the old Fasty pending a deposit. Don't have the storage or the time to tinker with them anymore now that I'm full-time and full on. Both Beetles gone as well so only a non-running Lowlight left. Will most likely pay someone to restore it for me once the house reno's are complete.

Hope you and yours are well!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  6. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

I always had a soft spot for the Fasty. I'm just finishing my new shed so I will have some room to progress some kombi work. I'm also about to take delivery of another bus from Joel, which takes the total to 5 and a half kombis. It's starting to get a little absurd. Luckily the inlaws have a farm with a nice big shed to keep them in. Here's my plan:

1) Finish the kombi camper trailer I started (I'll give myself 6 months for that)
    2) Get the new kombi from Joel registered and roadworthy.
    3) Take Betty off the road and do a full resto, including a camper conversion with pop-top. (I'll give myself 2 years for that one). Drive the other kombi around.
    4) By the time Alex is in Grade 6 (in 5 years) the family goes on a big kombi touring holiday with the new Betty and the camper trailer in tow.

Everyone's gotta have a plan. Mine has been a 7 year plan.

1) Collect kombis. CHECK
    2) Build shed. CHECK
    3) Find time .... well er, that's a work in progress.

7. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Keep going with that camper trailer Vanders. You are holding up my ideas for my wreck. But please leave poor Betty with out the pop top. Microbuses are nicer with out, but I can understand why you would change it since you know the base you are starting with. Sorry, just my opinion.

Great to hear from you Matt. Waiting to see your lowlight out and about but do understand about the time aspect. Hope your back is better and that all that is behind you.

Regards

Adrian

8. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Thanks Adrian. Back is all good and standing up to the rigours of a busy life, landscaping and renovating. Will have pics of my mates Lowlight Camper ASAP and hopefully will be putting Manuel in for his full resto early in the new year!

9. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Details

Some details of my mates new Kombi

11/72 Lowlight Camper

Mellow Yellow

1600 in good condition blows no smoke.

Next to no rust, mostly original paint.

Good, original tidy bus.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009