1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lubes and sealants for engine rebuild

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Bay_Buddha, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Hi all!

I have been reading through the Tom Wilson rebuild manual and I have noticed that there are sealing products such as 'Permatex 3H', 'RTV', 'moly' and 'white grease' used often in the procedures I will be carrying out.

Are these available in Oz or am I able to find equivalents?

Thankyou!

Phill.

2. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

I bought some Tri-Bond sealant for the crankcase halves, but haven't used it yet. Apparently a lot of Subaru mechanics use it.

Permatex is available, even at your local SuperCheap.

You will need some sort of engine assembly lubricant also for all the rotating bits.

3. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Thanks Vanders!

I have stripped the engine down to the heads to do the push rod tube seals and a few others to save some leaks. I have not split the case this time!

Thanks again for the advice.

Phill.

4. kombidaze

kombidaze Member

with the push rod tubes make sure the surfaces where the o rings seat in the motor and the heads are puuurfectly clean with no jaggy bits you can smooooth the edges a little with some fine wet and dry some gurus just use a little grease or oil to seat the o'rings and some use a sealant of some kind the most important thing is not to pinch the orings as you seat them i turn the tubes as i push them into place and then inspect them closely to make sure the orings have seated correctly and don't forget to attach the tinware first.
    oh and any sealant you use must be flexible since the engine expands quite a bit when hot.

5. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Thanks Kombidaze... I had read that the seats for the tubes need to be clean. I was perplexed as to how to make sure with the heads on the case. Is this job really advisable with the heads in place or should I pull them off?

One more... What tinware needs to be installed before the tubes?

Cheers.

Phill.

6. kombidaze

kombidaze Member

there is a little piece of tin ware that attaches to the case and the heads both sides, it kind of jams up into the cylinders it must be there to direct the cooling air properly) but if you are not pulling the heads then it will remain in place it is usually covered with much grime and oil so it is difficult to see with just a casual inspection. it is definately easier to clean the mating surfaces with the heads off but with a little patience and the motor on some sort of stand so you can get a good go at it from underneath then you should be able to clean it all up ok. make sure that the lifters remain in their bores or if you do remove them either number them or only remove and replace one at a time they cannot be mixed up under any circumstances.
    all the best
    john