1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make for benefit and glory of Borat Hemsworth Poptop T3

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by SunnyJim, Apr 22, 2019.

1. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Thanks Wayne
    Everything it's working now at the dash with my electrics so I don't think there was anything connected to them. I was thinking perhaps I have a base model and could be connectors for other options on more luxurious models.
    Anyway it is not causing an issue;)

onetrackwonder likes this.
  2. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Um, yes it is. Recently replaced mine with stainless as the centre section sits in water when it rains. It is adjustable so roof sits tight when down and supports it when up. Bitch of a job as cab roof lining will need to come out, and depending on how much metal TRAKKA removed originally some extra cut and paste may be required to gain access to the 2 brackets that hold the front support bar in place. Real nice of TRAKKA to be so helpful, isn't it?

3. SunnyJim

Gday mate
    Thanks for the insight! That front bar must really get a good soaking because when I picked up Borat T3 in March all I got was 1 straight length of bar 1 metre long. It had completely rusted away at the bends. I wasn't sure what I was looking at and not aware I was missing the other 2/3rds.

If you have already been thru all this i would like to learn from you. Are you happy with the end result? Should I get your guy to make a 2nd one up for me?
    Can you share some pictures with me?

Then there is the roadworthy- I have now got the engine running nicely, no leaks, also electrics done. Just need to clean up camping interior then I can get a safety inspection and on the road.
    So I don't want the poptop job to hold this up ( but maybe it will anyway :(). Right now the poptop roof is connected to the t3 body via the canvas. The gas struts are disconnected. Obviously this is not good enough to pass for a roadworthy inspection.

What do you think? As removing roof liner and getting a new front bar made up project could take a while I am thinking to reconnect the gas struts. The roof would be held down by the silver internal handles and 2 gas struts. The only difference to factory would be the current lack of front u shaped support bar. I don't know if this is considered safe enough for the inspector.

Comments welcome

4. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Very happy with the result, roof sits/seals tight when down and should last well into the next millennium! Bus is about to head off for the weekend as it does most weekends so will get some happy snaps next week. Not sure how Qld inspections go: is this an annual or new re-registration? If annual, you just might get by with the gas struts reconnected, a wash and polish and whistling while the examiner does his/her job.

5. SunnyJim

I bought it in March unregistered just getting Borat back on the road.
    Look fwd to piccies .

6. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

A few happy snaps from a tired and dirty bus.

1. RHS Upper Pivot
    2. RHS Lower Mount
    3. RHS Lower Mount
    4. RHS Support Arm
    5. LHS Support Arm

RHS Top Pivot.jpg

RHS Lower Mount 1.jpg RHS Lower Mount 2.jpg
    RHS Support Arm.jpg LHS Support Arm.jpg

Attached Files:

Dapom likes this.
  7. SunnyJim

Rob
    Thanks for the posting those pics.
    You said you got the bar done in stainless steel. That's sounds the go to me.
    What about those small brackets up the front?
    Stainless as well? How are they secured?
    just wondering if I need to remove the small fibreglass poptop piece

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  8. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Those small brackets (RHS and LHS lower mount points) are all that holds the pop top on - other than the gas assist struts. These are the problem children that need the cab roof lining removed so new SS mounts can be fitted (only 2 bolts !!!!!!!!). All the fiddly work is done from inside. Despite the deficient design, I still reckon the T3 Trakka pop top offers the best features of a high top with the drive-ability and clearance of a tin top. After all these years I'm still happy.

Dapom likes this.
  9. SunnyJim

Rob
    How do you advise I move ahead? Shall I call yr guy and see if he can make me one? How long ago did you get it done?

10. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

PM sent just a few moment ago.

11. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Hey Rob :) could I have the info re the lifting bar too please. I haven’t looked at mine yet but judging by the state of the rest of the vehicle it’s almost guaranteed to be broken lol
    Oh and my Trakka is Bamboo Yellow too!!

12. SunnyJim

Hey Dapom
    I'm in bris to. Let's get the t3s together

13. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Hey Dapom, good to hear you have a yellow one. SunnyJim knows about as much as me now so put your heads together. The one thing I didn't mention to SunnyJim is that when doing the job, the pop top needs to be supported in the up and fully open position. Bit of a limiter for a backyard DIY (but not impossible)

Dapom likes this.
  14. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I’m currently working through rust issues on my Trakka and then the roof will be coming off for work. The roof has lost its shape and is basically a big soap dish lol. Have made up some marine ply ribs which will get glassed in to reshape the roof and also give fixing points for racks :)
    Where in brissy are you @SunnyJim ?

15. SunnyJim

Hi @Dapom
    I am over at carindale. I am off to Sumatra tonight back on 15th December. You are welcome to drop over. My T3 Borat Hemsworth is not registered yet.

Dapom likes this.
  16. SunnyJim

RHS Lower Mount 2.jpg @AC-T3
    This photo you posted is a good one.

I am thinking how to install the small angle brackets. Are you saying if I remove the cab liner from the inside i can get to the Back of this bracket. I am assuming screwing it down from the front is not good enough and it would need bolt going through from outside and a washer and nut behind the fibreglass?

Am i on the right track?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  17. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Yes. My replacement bracket has the stud welded in place, secured by nut and washer from below. Access from below is tight, very tight. From the interior light forward.

18. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I’m over in western suburbs....mt Ommaney way. Will give you a shout if I’m heading out Northside :)
    Have fun in Sumatra!!

19. SunnyJim

Hey dapom
    Is t3 bus on the road? Mine is still works in progress

20. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I have a two tone green 83 airpumper which is on the road and a bamboo yellow 83 Trakka pop top with EJ20 Subaru conversion and which is my work in progress :)