1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make for benefit and glory of Poptop T3

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by SunnyJim, Apr 22, 2019.

1. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Great, we have a bit in common. I have done 2 subie installs. Ej22 into a 71 and a ej25 into a 76. I would like to see how your going with the T3.

I have my T3 engine up and going nicely, I really would like to drive the wasserboxer around for a while but do have a spare ej22 conversion ready to go if I find it a chore to drive.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 12:30 PM
    Syncro27 likes this.
  2. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

The Trakka had already been converted to EJ when I bought it....was one of the reasons I did buy it as it’s all blue plated etc. however it’s the shittiest conversions I’ve ever seen so most of the work in the bus is going to be redoing the cooling system, air intake, wiring and exhaust. Am working through rust repairs at the moment and only have a few more to go before starting on the pop top. Going to be a long project but they always seem to go that way lol

Syncro27 likes this.
  3. SunnyJim

I am keen to see it. Many ways to do conversations and I have questions especially with T3 around wiring and intakes.
    But good news cooling and fuel already done on my 89 watercooled

4. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Main issue with mine is that being an airpumper it didn’t have front to back pipes etc so whoever converted it made some using galvanised steel fencing tube. Chuck a generic rad in it with an expansion bottle behind the grille and that’s job done apparently! Oh not forgetting to hack a hole in the front for air and a gaping hole in the back for cooling I guess, just chuck some flywire over it held on with pop riveted Ali strip, she’ll be right. Intake isn’t much better....there’s an air box sat on top of the gearbox lol haven’t really looked at that yet haha

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Noice :eek:

Dapom likes this.
  6. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

It’s a stunning example of how it shouldn’t be done Bahaha I’m correcting it :)

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Absolutely amazing what some of these
    " geniuses" can come up with , Eh?.

I've got a full air cooled running but crap paint and a bit of rust ( not the yellow peril )if you want the easy way out ;)
    Plus spare bolt on's , ( doors)
    And a shell with most of wasserboxer bits like pipes , radiator, heater core etc.

8. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I may well be chasing some parts Colin :) I’ve scored the front to back pipes, rust free front doors and all the cuts I need. I do need a rad and fans but am not going to bother with a heater....I live in QLD!! Hehe

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

No prob.
    I'll dig them out.
    Air con ? :D

10. SunnyJim

@Dapom
    Chris
    One thing I was wondering about with the T3 and a subie wiring harness is do you keep that little black box that has the vw ignition and fuel pump relay in it?
    It looks a nice location but the subie harness already had its own relays.
    What do you do for this?

11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

You dont need that little black box Paul with the original relays - but use the other black box for the ignition and fuel pump relays plus the main fuses :D

12. SunnyJim

Scott

You mean the other black box at The front of the engine bay? I think it just has wiring connections in it?

13. SunnyJim

Another question.... the vw t3 air intake box looks nicely done, sealed and vented up on the drivers side. Yet every subie conversation I have seen does not use that, they run the air intake over to the passenger side.

I assume something on the subie engine gets in the way , so as not to be able to use the original vw intake box?

14. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Yes - keep that one (front left hand corner)

Regarding the air intake, most punters put their coolant bottle to the right hand side of the engine due to the location of the Subie coolant main pipe from the thermostat located on the right hand side of the engine and the location of the VW coolant pipes being that side. Hence that coolant tank gets in the way of a duct to the original intake pipe location.

Works fine on the other side.

[​IMG]

SunnyJim likes this.
  15. SunnyJim

Scott
    It's that your engine bay?
    So it looks unlike in my 76 bay I don't need any throttle body reverser, just series of angled connections?