1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make for benefit and glory of Poptop T3

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by SunnyJim, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I still haven’t looked at mine lol really should do that!

2. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Got all my indicator bulbs replaced with LEDs and finally working

Interesting process. I didn't realise it at the time but the flasher relay terminals are not universal.
    31 earth
    49 12v
    49a to indicators.

I bought a couple of Ebay and they had 31 and 49 reversed so no worky, although they all fit nicely. 49a was in the same position.
    Even the standard t3 flasher would work with 2 of the 4 as leds, but I guess it needs the higher current draw of a filament globe to allow the relay to work.

This one finally fixed it cf13 gl-02. Go westy also sells this one

Screenshot_20200204-082747_eBay.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    David H and Barry like this.
  3. SunnyJim

Bumpers off, bit off a clean up. It looks rust free behind the bumpers . 20200211_140325.jpg

Syncro27, nils and Dapom like this.
  4. SunnyJim

Both front door window outside rubbers surrounds need replacing. Non chrome.

Not sure how to do this? Am I taking door glass out?
    20200211_140340.jpg

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Is that a vented RH corner window, and a fixed LH one? o_O

To do just the rubbers around the winding windows, you can just wind them all the way down.

6. SunnyJim

Grant
    Fixed on left and on the driver's side I can open.

Do you mean I don't need to pull off any door cards?

7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

The top and rear rubber channel, (one piece), fits up and back into the frame.....

The bottom inner and outer “J” bits, fit down into clips inside the top edge of the door.

Assuming the clips are in place, you shouldn’t need to remove the door cards.

Even the clips should be able to be reached with the window wound down, using long nosed pliers.

8. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

No need to pull door cards. The long one that fits into the top & rear is just pulled out. The scraper (lower one can be gently pried up with screw driver till you can grab with your fingers. If a clip stays with the scraper then replace it in its slot by slipping it onto a flat screwdriver and slipping it back into its slot. When replacing with new rubbers fit the bottom scraper one first, do not trim it to length as it will be the correct length. However the other one will be a bit too long, prob about 40mm so fit it up then judge how much to cut off. its ok to pull it out and refit a couple of times. I bang it back in place with rubber hammer. You could also get an idea how long it needs to be by measuring it against the old one.

Syncro27 likes this.
  9. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I have this same thing on my Trakka! Vented drivers side and fixed passenger side. I have a pair of replacement rust free doors from an early T3 to put on the Trakka....same thing!! However, my green airpumper has cents both sides. My theory is the Transporter models had drivers vent/passenger fixed and the Bus model had both vented. Both of my buses are ‘83 and the replacement doors are off an airpumper too.

10. SunnyJim

Chris
    How about your middle windows? We both have trakka.
    I have a fixed on sliding door side but sliding middle window behind drivers side

Its also a long time since I drove a vehicle with a fold out quarter window. Are they useful? Shall I chase one for the passenger side?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  11. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I have Trakka sliding windows both sides. I like the vent windows....seems to quieten down the buffering when the main window is open. After you bringing this to the forefront of my mind I sourced one for the passenger side lol

12. SunnyJim

Glad i was able to help!

Dapom likes this.
  13. SunnyJim

Today was a bit of hard work.
    Ladder stands tall besides Borat and pressure washing the fibreglass roof. It is amazing how much black gunk came of the this white roof.

Here is a question for someone that really knows their Trakka pop top roofs.
    If you look at the below picture you see the fibreglass roof sits inside the fibreglass surround .

How is that fibreglass surround secured to the t3 metal roof? I guess I might have to remove it sometime in the future.
    20200216_164305.jpg

14. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

My understanding and from what I’ve seen of mine, they’re secured by big-ass rivets at each corner and then I guess glued down as well. Mine is also secured with about 6 tubes of silicone which was laid down on top of dirt and a fair amount of General dirt, leaves etc. so looking forward to cleaning it out!

Grantus likes this.
  15. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Big rivets and cartons of silicon.

Dapom likes this.
  16. SunnyJim

this is good to know .

My only concern was that on mine if you look at where the poptop fibreglass surround meets the metal roof it seems to have a decent recess. A lot of gunk was hiding up there and came out with a pressure clean. I would have thought at the time of install a good bead of white silicon would have kept all the stuff out.
    I am not going to do that now because I don't know what I need to do with the poptop canvas yet and it might all have to come off.
    Interested in how anyone handled their trakka poptop canvas refurbishment.

17. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Canvas refurb is something that I’ll be getting on with soon mainly as it has to come out so I can remove the poptop itself for works. Mine has been redone at some point already. Fit of the canvas is ok so I’m just going to remove the canvas sleeve and drop that to the canvas people as a pattern. I am going to modify mine from original but no big surprise there lol

18. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Oh and that recess that you mentioned....that’s what I’m planning on cleaning out and then filling with sika :)

19. SunnyJim

Chris
    I will follow what you are doing . Have you as already selected someone to do the canvas? Price?

20. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Haven’t got that far yet....but will keep updated :)