1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make for benefit and glory of Poptop T3

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by SunnyJim, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Nice cutting. :)

Now, can the dremel also do a neater weld? :rolleyes: :p

2. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Grantus .. we will soon see;)

Grantus likes this.
  3. SunnyJim

20200325_170019.jpg 20200325_170031.jpg 20200325_170044.jpg

And on the floor.... previous owner never addressed the leaking fridge or water supply. So for years water had sat under the chipboard floor. Created some good holes.
    In fact I can see the fuel tank sender!

Today I grinded it, then rust treated it. For the short term I will cover with something so as not to get road splash. Then I will be putting down some heavily varnished marine ply boards.

Then in future if I ever learn to weld, some new floor metal will go down.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Buggergary likes this.
  4. SunnyJim

Good progress yesterday.

The challenge was to stop future rust and ensure no holes in the floor so water and debris could not splash thru from epic road trips.

The rust converter seemed to work. Just a thin layer of fibreglass over the holes then I started cutting the marine ply boards for a floor.
    20200326_171920.jpg

TeeBee likes this.
  5. SunnyJim

20200327_175649.jpg Borat loves his weather resistant marine ply floor.

He asks what goes on top?
    Floorboards?
    Shagpile rug?
    Peanut shells?
    Kirra beach sand?

TeeBee and Dapom like this.
  6. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

In regards to the flooring question I think there’s one deciding factor. I had a bay window bus which I fitted a laminate floor into. The floor was great...easy to sweep out, wipe over and hard wearing. But, I also had 2 dogs. The laminate floor and corners created a hilarious but undesirable ice skating dogs type of scenario, even if they were laying down. This was not ideal as the thud of the dogs hitting cabinets/sliding door was quite distracting lol due to this my Trakka will be getting a rubber mat floor :)

David H likes this.
  7. SunnyJim

Chris
    you should have made a video of that.

Similar story 2009, our dog Forrest the border collie looked really scared as the sliding door fell off as we went round the corner in our 71 Sunnyjim.
    She had her claws gripping and was seriously backpeddling

Dapom likes this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

2 Old English sheepdogs.
    One dog in the tunnel between the seats & last one in on the front passengers side floor.
    No slip slidey;).
    Still have that seat belt between the front seats for the new copilot (but she'd prob slip beneath)!
    MEMO0025.JPG
    And that plastic bag has stickers in it:p.
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Dapom likes this.
  9. njg02

njg02 Member

Sunny Jim.
    The floor. Is it screwed, bolted, glued or gravity?
    I'm redoing my interior and my current floor is screwed in. I plan on removing it and welding up the holes but not sure how to fix my new floor. I will be putting a floating floor over the top of ply. But how thick should the ply be? I'm thinking 7mm which will be thicker with the floating panels on top.
    I can't find much info on doing the floor step by step.

10. David H

:(. Really need to learn how to put metal back in these buses @SunnyJim:(. Grind, cut, weld is much better than a 'skim coat' of fibreglass. Metal is what holds the integrity of your bus together;)
    7mm ply is okay given the support of the floor ribs.
    Cheers

11. njg02

njg02 Member

Thanks David.

12. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

There’s no way my hounds could travel up front. I e got a 40kg GSP x Lab who thinks she’s a lap dog and a 10 month old staffy pup who thinks that EVERYTHING is fantastically interesting. They get tethered in the back on their harnesses and a rubber floor will be going into the project camper :)

TeeBee and David H like this.
  13. David H

Just lots of training needed;).
    Cheers

Dapom likes this.
  14. SunnyJim

David
    Very happy when you fly to Brisbane and teach me to weld.
    I will pick you up from the airport... after all the coronas have gone

David H likes this.
  15. SunnyJim

Hi Njg (tell us yr real name)

I had similar problems. Camping interior had caused rust.

I could not find anyone who can cut all the rust out and replace with the original floor metal. Everyone said I need to find a donor.

So i did a lot of grinding and rust converting , sealing and in the end was satisfied no holes. For the floor I used 12mm marine ply as it does not flex much.
    I used a 3mm drill then metal countersunk screws. Just put the minimal number of screws in. It is not structural, you want to stop the boards from flexing.

So I can easily remove these boards when I want to.

16. David H

I'm in;). with you paying the airfare! Don't care if it's oxy, mig or arc. Upside down, uphill, plate or lap. Ag school welding program at TAFE 45 yrs ago & a 415v mig @ a business & a Colt 22 oxy for most of my life. Gas axe! Got to feel/see the way the heat is going into to the metal;).
    Cheers

17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Forget looking for a flight - Long road trip...take your gear & skills, and after the mandatory 14 day quarantine when across the border, hook into it! :)

Don’t forget to post pics. ;)

And wash your hands to stay safe. :p

18. bruce hh

bruce hh Member

Hi SunnyJim
    His signature block says Neil :) , and when I met him and his wife at the Sandstone Point event last year they were really nice people.

Need to replace the timber floor in mine as well, but would like to get some use from it before I have to rip everything out, just in case I want to put it back differently.
    Cheers
    Bruce

19. njg02

njg02 Member

Hi Bruce. Thanks for the kind words.

SunnyJim. Neil. But you call me what you want. But don't call me late for dinner.
    Screws it shall be. But I might utilize rivnuts.

Neil

20. SunnyJim

Gday Neil,

I am no expert and can only tell you what i have done.

* I was able to do my floor with 2 large marine ply sheets from bunnings . I end up with 4 pieces screwed to the floor.
    * I went with thicker 12mm ply, thinking it will not flex as much hence I can use minimal number of screws

* I varnished the boards with marine epoxy. Also made sure I did the edges. In hindsight best to cut the ply first in the final 4 shapes then varnish.
    * I used a bit driver and countersunk type of metal screw.

* I kept trimming the ply boards so it would fit neater at the edge behind the front seats.
    * I left a 10mm gap on the drivers side as I need to make and fit a panel on the wall.

* I haven't used any glue and can remove these boards in about 5 minutes if need be.
    * I will probably put some vinyl floorboards down. Something that handles moisture well
    Hope that helps

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020