1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Malfunction Surf Event 07

Discussion in 'Queensland/Northern NSW' started by The Dub Driver (Byronbug), May 13, 2007.

1. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Had another good weekend out with the usual suspects this weekend with the Malfunction Surf carnival on at Rainbow Beach Gold Coast.
    Great VW turnout for the car display.....
    Here's some pics for everyone to see....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

3. kom123

kom123 New Member

Great pics, looks like a good day :)

4. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Great photos Judy I will add a few more

This was the 1974 Kombi that won the best display on the day. It is owned by new member's Alan and Melissa from Mudgeeraba. As you can see Alan has made a few changes including a V8 engine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A few more
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

6. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

7. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Back at the caravan park on Saturday afternoon, we had a good weekend but not many Kombi Club members. I guess this was expected with the Nimbin weekend the one before. Thankyou Judy for being our taxi on Friday night to the surf club where we were lucky enough to win a meat tray.
    Saturday night at the caravan park turned out to be a good night. With the exception of a large group from Pioneer asking us to leave the bbq area. They informed us they had the area booked which was news to management and us.
    Thanks to Paul and Lyn for deciding to stay on for the night , and to Roy and family for joining us for a drink. ( I still have your mums glass)
    We did well out of the weekend with our meat tray and we won a t-shirt and a great kids surfing toy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Looks like you had a great time :)

9. Wild Child

Wild Child New Member

Hey mish13

loved seeing how much fun you guys had, man alan n melissa kombi looked fantastic, do you know whether he did that himself, your one looks like a dream!

freedom is to be enjoyed

10. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

Hi all
    Just to confirm
    Alan & Melissa Baker took away the days favourite, chosen by Rob August (of Endless Summer fame and highly regarded among the Surf circles), as being the one he would most like to drive away.
    This was despite an attempt by Mishelle to sway the vote haha

Alan also won the Surf Board.

Thanks to Malfunction for asking the Kombi Club to attend

11. Golfy

Golfy Member

Malifunction

What a great run we had with many kombi's and vw vehicles. Thank you Judy and Mishelle for taking some great photo's for all to see. In the afternoon some of us went back to the caravan park and had a bbq dinner, we also invited another kombi lover to join us, she had just come down from Townsville. Anita, Roy and his Mum and Dad also joined us, They are out here from the UK on holiday. We all had such a great time with his Mum being the star atraction of the evening, she had us in stitches and laughing nearly all the evening. Thanks guys for coming and making it a great camping night, it was worth while, even though we had a few showers, also thanks Roy for bringing a canopy to stop us getting wet.

Lynn and Paul

12. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Yes he did do it all himself, he has done it all so he can drive to all his favorite fishing spots. This thing would leave any car for dead it has a 5 litre V8 in the back.We had a bit of a cry when he told us he did up a 2 litre motor first and it didnt have enough power so he took it out. When he couldnt sell it he took it to the tip, we have an 1800 and would love a 2 litre.
    I wish I had taken some more inside shots, he has down lights in the roof and an airconditioner that is soon to be connected. All the floor is polished timber and he has made all the cupboards himself. Next time we see them I will get some more shots. They must be happy they joined the Kombi club last week. On there first trip with us they win the trophy and the surf board.
    Cheers Michelle

13. JHB88

JHB88 Member

Thanks to Roy, Malfunction Team, KC members and others for another good weekend.

The surf was great and a typical relaxed attitude to a surf contest (too relaxed?)

The park & display had a good variety and finally some splits to see however we were a bit far away from the action of the contest.

Saturday night was a highlight when we got to meet Roy's Mum and Dad.

Thanks to Gunter and his cask wine, Roy's Mum had a very good time.

Roy's Dad is a kombi man from way back, used to rent out 3 of them or 6 according to his Mum (later that night).

As Roy was trying to leave Saturday night, a new phase was added to the KC vocabulary:

"WHERE'S ME MOM"

The rain overnight put a dampener on our packing up Sunday morning but the Sun came out eventually and a another great day of surf at Rainbow Bay was had.

Congrats to Alan for the board win and the whole of the surf crowd at the Rainbow Bay Club were impressed by a V8 in a kombi.

The Convoy down the highway:
    [​IMG]

The board is as old as the kombi:
    [​IMG]

The best number plate award went to:
    [​IMG]

So...why do these guys always turn up to a kombi event:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  14. JHB88

JHB88 Member

Some More photos:

Mmmm...maybe I should trade in the Black Bug for one of these...there's more room to sleep in the back!!!!!
    [​IMG]

I need more bottom end..there's not enough bass:
    [​IMG]

A couple photographs taken by my 5 year old twins.

Daddy's dash:
    [​IMG]

Ruffy the toy dog tries to eat a Split ute:
    [​IMG]

15. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

Nah, never trade the bug for more back seat room...thats why I got me a splitty ...LOL
    Luved the board he had in the back of that....nice
    Judy

16. melissa

The cops turn up cause they drive Kombis too ;)

17. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Gunter what happened to your home brew, cask wine....is that your new line?
    Sorry we missed meeting Mr and Mrs Roy, sound like they had a great time too.
    Melissa, what was Scott doing at the Gold Coast??????

18. melissa

He heard the surf was good and took the truck for a spin :p Too bad for the prisoner in the back..it was a bloody long trip....LOL

19. Kombi8

Kombi8 Member

I think i need to share some notes with Alan and Melissa from Mudgeeraba.
    The similarities with Kombi8 are a little uncanny, even to the bumpers and the radiator position. Scary innit?

20. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Photo's Please

Would love some photo's