1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Master cylinder pushrod.

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Winged, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Winged

Winged Member

Could my master cylinder be failing without leaking? After a year off the road both rear wheel cylinders needed replacing and have been bled. Bled fine but still no pedal!! Is it probable that the pushrod (if master cylinder has a pushrod??) has failed but the lines remain intact? Thus i have enough thrust to move fluid in a open system (ie bleeding) but not against the resistance of a closed system. Am i barking up the right tree?
    Cheers for any advice

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Quite possible that the internal seal is stuffed.
    Or it has some crap preventing a good seal.
    Another area that can give a soft pedal is the flexible lines can stretch under pressure when old.

Mordred likes this.
  3. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Also have you followed the correct procedure for bleeding the lines including tightening the bleed valve before letting the pedal up? I had trouble when I did them in the opposite order to the manual and couldn't get pedal then did it the way it was in the bentley and all good. Start at right front the left front then right rear then left rear. Don't know why it matters so much but I had problems until I did it this way.

Adrian

David H likes this.
  4. Winged

Winged Member

Hi, tried to bleed lines again. Just solid fluid from the word go, no air. Pedal will pump up to apply some (very little) brake but then fades to the floor.
    Will give a new master a go. My flexible lines are 4 years old but dont look bad at all. Any advice to bear in mind when changing the master cylinder?
    Thanks

Mordred likes this.