1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Master cylinder pushrod.

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Winged, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Winged

Winged Member

Could my master cylinder be failing without leaking? After a year off the road both rear wheel cylinders needed replacing and have been bled. Bled fine but still no pedal!! Is it probable that the pushrod (if master cylinder has a pushrod??) has failed but the lines remain intact? Thus i have enough thrust to move fluid in a open system (ie bleeding) but not against the resistance of a closed system. Am i barking up the right tree?
    Cheers for any advice

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Quite possible that the internal seal is stuffed.
    Or it has some crap preventing a good seal.
    Another area that can give a soft pedal is the flexible lines can stretch under pressure when old.

Mordred likes this.
  3. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Also have you followed the correct procedure for bleeding the lines including tightening the bleed valve before letting the pedal up? I had trouble when I did them in the opposite order to the manual and couldn't get pedal then did it the way it was in the bentley and all good. Start at right front the left front then right rear then left rear. Don't know why it matters so much but I had problems until I did it this way.

Adrian

David H likes this.
  4. Winged

Winged Member

Hi, tried to bleed lines again. Just solid fluid from the word go, no air. Pedal will pump up to apply some (very little) brake but then fades to the floor.
    Will give a new master a go. My flexible lines are 4 years old but dont look bad at all. Any advice to bear in mind when changing the master cylinder?
    Thanks

Mordred likes this.
  5. Winged

Winged Member

Have replaced wheel cylinders and master (both a new cylinder and master broke under torque, so had to swap out components, sigh at cheap crap) but i have a leak at the brake sender and 1 brake line coming off the master. Can/ do i use a sealant for threads to stop leaks, if so which one?
    Cheers

6. Winged

Winged Member

Hi, after evacuating (the kombi ) from the local bushfires i have it at a mechanic. He tells me the master cylinder is cactus and said he can send it off to be relined for $300 odd bucks plus postage. After buying a cheap Chinese one that crumbled im after some advice. Should i go with the mechanics option or are there decent new replacements on the market. If so where would i get one.
    Thanks for any advice

7. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

You can get original equipment ones but I can’t for the life of me remember the name. There is a Valeo brand and I believe a French brand that starts with A. Either should be acceptable. Try Mick Motors in Brisbane. I am sure someone can help with the name.

The $300 is reasonable as it is a lot of work to redo them well, but I would check the price of one of these new ones and make a decision either way.

As an aside if you go to change the booster the valeo and this other brand have different mounting to the beam. If the old master cylinder has leaked into the booster you will need to replace or get the booster repaired as the fluid attacks the rubber of the bellows.

Good luck.
    Adrian

8. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

should be able to get a new ATE or TRW for about that money (or half a dozen cheapies) ... just double check where all the outlets are and try to get the same one or you'll be re-routing brake lines. as per above - Mick Motors should have something.

as to sealer, not usually; but, i once had a connection that i needed to put some permatex thread seal on

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  9. Winged

Winged Member

Thanks fellas for the replies. Yeah im pretty sure its leaked into the booster....sigh. Are there replacement bellows available? I see a new one is very costly. Maybe a second hand is an option?

10. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

11. Winged

Winged Member

Thanks all. Adrian the brand is ATE and cost about $300. Looks a good quality though. The mechanic reckons the bellows might go okay. See when its put together.