May just have found 'the one'

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Daniel Isley, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Daniel Isley

Daniel Isley New Member

kombi.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a bus that is close to being registered, mechaically sound but most of all a perfect platform for me to build the interior into a long-term mobile home to travel in.

I am looking a 'mostly' restored bus and I don't have any experience with restorations I was hoping to get some feedback. The engine and brakes have been redone. The sheet metal has been redone from the bottom 6 inches up. What does this mean for the undercarriage and any further work I would need to pay someone to do?

I noticed in one of the photos the front stealwork looks very rusted then in the next photo it appears that the green pannel is welded over the rusted framework?

What kind of restoraation can be done to a rusted chassis?

Thank you in advance for sharing your expertise :)

Daniel

**Edit
    I will be starting my journey in the USA and then heading to Canada before returning home. I am expecting to replace the motor for a 2-liter diesel engine for torque and a 1600 transaxle with LSD to enable the bus to access light to medium off-road tracks and going bush. The picture below are what I am currently thinking about:

Photos
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOxvbnEuVZIY8...JIWnNRV21B

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

For the price he is asking, that will not last very long but you will need to add another $8 to $10K to get it here, then pay to paint it and fit out the interior. You will struggle to find one that cheap here but are you sure you would be happy with a LHD?

3. Daniel Isley

Daniel Isley New Member

Hi Melissa,

Thank you for your reply. I neglected to mention that I would be starting my travels in the states before returning to Australia :( I am hoping to be able to take the bus to some remote locations, beaches, national parks and alpine lakes. I believe I would need to upgrade the tires, suspension and transaxle to improve ground clearance? My adaptation of a splitscreen synchro ;)

I've added some more details and pictures to the original post to hopefully avoid any confusion.

Cheers,

Daniel

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

My mistake - I thought you were looking at the one in the main picture and were looking at getting it sent over, to start your travels here and head to NZ - sorry.

Maybe you would be better looking at a T3 (Vanagon) syncro?

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Unless you are a mechanical genius I wouldnt be advising a frankenstein bus for travelling.
    Who is going to fix it?
    Questions also as to a 1600 box handling tje torque of a diesel plus finding an economical lsd for the 1600 box.

None of that comes cheap or makes sense in my view.

Have you researched these options?

Mels suggestion of a syncro makes sense if you want to push it off road.
    Otherwise a 2l bay with upgrade on tyres and a peloquin diff will go a lot of places.

6. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

If your not bringing the bus back to australia why waist all that time and money on that project.
    Look on the forums on thesamba for Mt Shasta cruise event they have each year.
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871
    Most use big chucky tyres , a big nut late split gear box with reduction hubs and a 1600 stock engine.
    Then they setup the interior for camping. Nothing fancy just practical and they go every were.
    You could look at buying a 65/67 stock bus without an interior and setup what you want.
    Theres some great members that i deal with on the samba who are on these forums some times who can help you find a good touring bus.
    Otherwise, look at a 77/79 bay window westfaliacamper. They have all the camper stuff youd need with a cool interior.
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2005553
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2004023
    This is my pick forthemoney....
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1998051
    or
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1971078
    cheers chuckster

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

8. Daniel Isley

Daniel Isley New Member

Thank you for all the input so far.

I am a mechanical novice so probably no Franken-bus. However, as soon as I have purchased my kombi I will be enrolling in mechanical course so I can learn all about my new home. I have a fair bit of off road experience and living out of a car. I was a Commando in the army for just under 10 years before being injured in Afghanistan leaving me unable to work. I am in the process of starting a website to bring attention to long-term effects suffered by veterans and first responders. I will have the site's logo painted on the bus and spend about 12 months touring the states before another 12 in Canada.

At the end of my journy, I would like to bring the final build home which is why I would like it to be as sound of a restoration as possible, a solid foundation to build on. I have joined thesamba.com today and found it full of great information. Thank you for providing the links to the classifieds. I have wanted a split screen for many years and now that my wife and I are separating - another far too common effect suffered by veterans and their families - my bus would need to be a splitty.

If anybody would like to act as a broker to help me find my bus I would be happy to pay you. Unfortunately, time is my enemy at the moment. I need to be out of where I am by the end of January.

**edit What does everyone think of the bus in my first post? I have heard back from the seller and they reckon to have it pass inspection it needs the 'doors mended', painted and to be put back together. I would be really happy with a blank canvas to start with and restore as I go

I really appreciate all of your help and advice. As this would be my first kombi I am open to all suggestions on anything about setup buying process, any fatherly advice ;) etc.

Cheers,

Daniel

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  9. Daniel Isley

Daniel Isley New Member

This is my ideal bus is a samba if I can get it for the right price:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1988309

Photos:
    1967deluxebus.shutterfly.com
    go to the website and then click on “pictures and videos” then click on “view album” on bottom right then choose all"

looking at further photos there is a bit of rust. would this suggest to the experienced I would be up for another lump sum in restoration to remove the rust and secrets hidden under the surface. I am intending to keep my bus for the rest of my life.

I am happy to sacrifice being able to get to certain locations in the bus and going on a guided tours where appropriate.

10. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Not to be rude but no rudimentary mechanics course will or can prepare you for all the possible breakdown scenario's that you may encounter, as others have mentioned i would also recommend a nice clean T2 bay kombi with some all terrain tyres and maybe a mild lift but keep the rest stock.

11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

OK - so you know what park you are playing in
    You obviously have a mountain in front of you
    Ask HEAPS of questions and get onto the Samba forums as well

As you can see by my avatar that i am a Vanagon / T3 person
    I would still be looking at a Westy T3 for serious bush camping

Good luck and have fun

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

So need for it to be a split is fixed?

For sake of process.

Considerations would be a t3 has much more room.
    Also has the syncro version.
    Both t3 and bay are much more comfortable and bigger for living in.
    Driving a split is like a 8hp cox ride on in comparison.

Be wary of the way yanks " restore" any vehicle.
    Bog is a favoured product.
    You will need some sage advice from people who know splits well . In particular know the yank market and all its foibles.
    Reduction hubs will give you ground clearance and some advantage off road.
    They will limit highway speeds considerably over a straight axle conversion with larger engine.

Limiting major uncommon mods will mean a greater number of mechanics will be able to sort issues.

I will check thru the photos but my comments will be body biased.
    You need some split experts familiar with US market which I am not.

I would advise proper army proceedure.
    Plenty of quality reconnaissance, good planning, in and out without it turning into a shitfight.

Good luck.

evan&janine likes this.
  13. Daniel Isley

Daniel Isley New Member

Ok, I'm going to forget about mod's for now, just tires, and remote areas. I will be having two separate independent mechanics that specialize in kombi's inspect anything before a purchase is made. Thank you for the advice on the T3, it's something I can't really explain, just has to be a splitty. I've fallen head over heals for her, dam emotions always getting in the way of good logic.

14. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

ok - decision made

:)

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

A shallow opinion.
    Without checking both thoroughly, I would go a seemingly sound with old paint and good description over a new ' resto' with fresh paint and mods.
    The samba sounds like it has potential.
    Further sniffing may be warranted.

16. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

THIS !!

If your first plan is to hit the road and get to the type of places you are thinking of, then that perfect looking samba is not ideal for a few reasons:
    1. You will do a bit of minor damage. If you don't then you have not been far enough off the beaten track.
    2. Often, a low mileage bus that has been in the shed a lot, will find out all the problems when you start doing long distance to remote places. If you find one you like that has just finished a grand tour of the country, you know it will be fit enough to keep going.
    3. You can always make it perfect when you get back here after the two years touring there.

Nothing wrong with buying with the heart, even though everyone else here will say otherwise. Get a splitty you love and hit the road.

17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

So you are saying the samba ? :)

18. Daniel Isley

Daniel Isley New Member

I'm a big believer in using items in life, I would much rather have some minor damage that will always remind me of that time when ... than bumper dent free. I still have 1 to 2 months of solid programming before I can get my site 'live'. So not much traveling in the beginning, knuckling down and turning what was a side project into the main purpose. Good opportunity to iron out any mechanical bugs.

19. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

Or another samba. Be great to see one on the road where they should be.

20. Daniel Isley

Daniel Isley New Member

After a solid day of research and pro's vs cons on a lot of buses. I think it will be sensible to rule out the samba mentioned before. I have found a company in the states - Grumpy's Metal that can convert the roof of a bus to a samba roof with sliding sunroof for $6500USD.

I am currently thinking of:
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2001397

As an existing camper, I hope it should make the transition a little easier and I can modify the layout to suit better, deep cycle battery for gadgets I was thinking?

I received the following reply from the seller:
    It is a beautifully bus, there is absolutely NO rust anywhere. The bus has been maintained and services by the owner who is a close friend. He is an excellent, very meticulous mechanic. I wouldn't hesitate driving the bus anywhere. All panels on the bus are original and beautiful. Some of the panels were blended through the years because paint fading.

The engine looks like it is in good order and appears to have limited rust, at least in the supplied photos.

What does everyone think?