1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mechanic Brisbane

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Dave1432, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Dave1432

Dave1432 New Member

Hi all i dont know if this is the right place to post this but i am sure i will be directed elswhere if wrong.
    I am a qualified mechanic and total vw enthusiast just arrived in Brisbane. i have a few restos under my belt and am thinking of starting up a mobile mechanic sirvice for aircooled dubs mainly in the Brisbane area.
    I was wondering if anyone in the area thinks this worth while and if they think its viable etc i am only asking as to start up would cost a wee bit to buy a van etc. thanks for reading

Gareth Jones

ps i do have some pics here of one of my old projects somwhere

2. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Hi there Gareth...i for one am into this idea.
    The convenience of a VW mechanic that comes to me is a huge draw card.
    If the price is right i will support you.

3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Ditto. Especially if you set yourself up to do roadworthys and electrics as well.

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Gareth - welcome to OZ !! If you are a good, well priced, mobile VW mechanic, I reckon you'll be looking for employees in no time. I think all states in OZ are in desperate need for such a service. Word of mouth is your best advertisment, so if you impress a few members here, I think you'll have no end of work. Good luck with your venture. Cheers, Mark

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  5. nickc

nickc Member

hi gareth would you travel to the gold coast as well, about one hour drive. Nick

6. Dave1432

Dave1432 New Member

Yeah i think would have too and the northen beaches. I dont know anything about road worthys but electrics on Dubs isnt an issue. infact i would consider most jobs my tools are here i would just need a van i suppose ?

7. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

what a capitol idea,as a gesture of goodwill I will let you work on my beetle....:p
    what do you know about gearboxes ? ?:wtf:

8. Dave1432

Dave1432 New Member

ha ha ha whats it doing mate or should i say whats it not doing send me a email i might be able to sort somthing but still looking at the idea at the moment oh yeah and talk the wife into the idea.

9. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

refer to ...old mole towed again....post
    it tells it like it is !!

10. Dave1432

Dave1432 New Member

i just had a quick look and the first thing that camr to my heawas stripped spines in break drum i had this happen on one of my old bugs. but that happened after the breaks locked.
    but without looking at it hard to say where are you mate

11. woodsy

woodsy New Member

Gareth,

My kombi needs some engine work now. If you interested let me know. Mobile service would be great. My dad was from Wales way back in 1947.

12. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

brisbane north:cool:

13. Dave1432

Dave1432 New Member

OK i wasnt expecting that kind of responce will defo have to look for a van or a ute or somthing.

phat you want me to come over and have a look might be able to over the weekend or tomorrow morning i am only in Hawthorne

14. Dave1432

Dave1432 New Member

woody i sent you a email

15. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Dave - Authorised Inspectors for roadworthys require a certification from Queensland Transport and there lays another issue in dealing with them spending the time and money for certification has to be weighed up. Once a car has been given a roadworthy for registration in Queensalnd it does not have to be inpsected again in it's life unless it is being privately sold - differnet rules in other states and from what I know (which ain't much) a Vehicle Inspectors certificate in Qld is no good in NSW, Vic, WA, SA, ACT NT- but I may be wrong.

Here's a link to the Qld Transport website http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/ - happy hunting :p

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  16. Dave1432

Dave1432 New Member

thanks Kahuna that gives me somyhing to think about i used to do ministry of transport testing in the UK (MOT) but we had to have break testing equipment (rolling road) etc i dont know how strict they are here but i cant see me being able to do that mobile

17. lessthankate

lessthankate Member

It would be a swell idea you have my vote!

18. vinny

vinny Active Member

yes great idea, good amount of work in this area also.

19. Dave1432

Dave1432 New Member

Thanks for the posts guys will be looking for caddy van after the Holiday season. Woody what you want doing to your motor send me a email cheers

20. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Break testing equipment is also required as far as I am aware - ones I've seen are portable and sit on the floor in the car and measurement taken.