1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meet Gertie the 76 Sopru!

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Jethro, Nov 11, 2017.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Now that image was worth all the effort;). Thanks from all us stay at homes:D.
    Cheers

2. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

I put in a red arc isolation solenoid to manage the second battery and Dave was just asking if I thought that had anything to do with my electrical woes. It did cross my mind and I did as much testing as I could and I didn't think it was causing any issues although I did take out the main battery to charge it separately just to be sure.
    Latest is that after fully charging the battery with a new ctek charger bought in Murwillumbah, and installing the new voltage regulator we spent 3 days driving and camping and all seems ok. Alternator will still be getting a rebuild on return

David H likes this.
  3. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

After missing out on catching up in Nimbin we had a chance meeting at the Tweed Gallery. As we pulled in to have lunch at the café the beautiful Gertie pulled in opposite. Lovely to meet you and your family and so nice to see your teenage kids also enjoying the trip with you. I reckon your son will definitely be a Kombi owner in a couple of years he obviously shares the passion. Safe travels.

Grantus, David H and melissa like this.
  4. David H

Hi Jethro,
    I've got a spare if you need one. It's tired but yours if you want it;).
    Cheers

Jethro and ruby6689 like this.
  5. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

It was sooo amazing to run into you Lorraine and hubby at the tweed art gallery, couldn't believe the coincidence and so nice to meet you finally for a good kombisation (term my kids have coined when a conversation turns to kombi's) since you only met Gertie in the street at Nimbin. Homeward bound now and stayed on a farm near Coffs Harbour last night IMG_8473.PNG
    I'll pm you some mesh screens!!
    Geoff

Syncro27 and ruby6689 like this.
  6. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Hi Dave, sorry I didnt get back to you earlier, been off line for a bit. I would love to take up your offer of your spare fold out table. When Lorraine was looking over Gertie in the Tweed Gallery carpark she reminded me that the original table was supported when up by the open cupboard door underneath it with the end of the table flopping down on a piano hinge over the end of the cupboard door. When the end of the table is needed it is lifted up and supported by the corner of the open front of the cooker. Wondering if your one is this type or could be modified as above. Either way will PM you and try to get up to Newey sometime soon
    Cheers
    Geoff

7. David H

My spare works like that & comes courtesy of Oldman & his purchase of Elsie76 cupboard kit that he got & gave me a better one than I had (beers included;)). Being the 'newbie' here you get the 'hand me downs';)! You're going to BS @ Stanthorpe so I could take it there:). Or you could join the Hunter Valley troop journey & stay here night before.
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/komvoy-to-stanthorpe-busstop.56636/
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  8. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Hand me downs are fine with me, thank you

9. David H

Got to see Richard Clapton @Lizzotte's last night. Did sing 'Deepwater' of course:):D. Just fantastic to see old rockers never lose that magic:cool:. Was awesome. That makes RC & Paul Kelly "da men":D! Sad to think the song was from '77. Where did that 40 yrs go:(:p:eek:.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Mr Beckstar and Jethro like this.
  10. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fantastic night Dave!! That's why we have Kombis right, jump in and its straight back to 1976 and the sadness is gone!!

Wayne murray and David H like this.
  11. David H

Ain't that the truth Jethro;):D. Went for a cruise this arvo & all is good with the world;).
    Cheers

Wayne murray, Mr Beckstar and Jethro like this.
  12. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Just completed another faultless trip in Gertie to Byron and back to take the kids, friends (and me) to Splendour in the Grass. (Gertie only carried 4, maybe 6 on some occasions)
    upload_2018-7-26_21-46-12.png

13. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Great to see her getting about and most importantly loved.

Cheers

Adrian

Jethro likes this.
  14. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Thanks Adrian, she is already a much loved Kombi, so many memories already!!

David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  15. David H

So that be 2 on the roof rack? or one in the cupboard & one under seat;). I've done 6 pax in Old Boy. 3 on rear seat (with centre lap belt:)) & one on the suicide seat (between stove/cupboard) no belt:(. Not quite legal but was lots of fun back then.
    Hope you & the kids enjoyed Splendour & the cruise. Did you really attend the festival:rolleyes:?
    Cheers

16. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Y
    Yep attended all 3 days, 3rd year in a row, love it, the bands, the vibe, the drive, good chance to give the poncho a run!! And yeah, 3 squeezed on the 2/3 seat and one squished between the cabinet work, only for a couple of short trips and not strictly legal but that's a minor offence at splendour!!

David H likes this.
  17. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Got my father's day present hubcaps back from the Chrome Platers on the weekend, very happy!! Done by Sam at "All Chrome Bits" at Chipping Norton. These guys seem to largely specialize in decorative bits for cars and bikes etc, no big low qual commercial runs, did a great job.

pixlr_20180925065551167.jpg

18. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

They look very good! :)

19. David H

20. David H

Photo of the hubcap with reflected image of the graduating daughter suggested by me;) (just for your family). I've seen some really cool reflection photos on KC:cool:.
    Cheers