1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metho in fuel tank to rid water?

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Adamhadam, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Adamhadam

Adamhadam New Member

Have been told that my tank has water in it and have been advised to put 1/2 ltr of metho in my next fuel tank to rid the water,I have heard of this,I think it was even a thread on here. but i just want to ask again if this is the correct (harmless for engine) thing to do.
    Is 1/2 a ltr the right amount and is it just ordinary metho i'd be using?

Thanks for any info.:)
    Adam.

2. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I have heard of this before in regard to boat engines..... 500ml of metho would represent less than one percent of the fuel in a full tank, so it is unlikely to affect combustion or do any harm. To be honest, I am a little sceptical that metho will remove much moisture (as metho is mostly ethanol, which is present in much higher levels in many petrol mixes) - but as it is unlikely to do any harm, it is probably worth a shot.

Another option may be 500ml of dry isopropanol (IPA), which helps the moisture dissolve into the petrol (and then burn off...) - it is also known as "rubbing alcohol", and is used in window de-icers.

If you have a large amount of water in the tank (ie not just condensation), then you would be better off siphoning out the tank.

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

It works.

If there is a lot of water in the tank (more than 100ml), then I would drain it.

4. Adamhadam

Adamhadam New Member

From what i understand it's moisture, so the metho routine sounds like the go.
    The tank was out and repaired (small hole) Also had rust repair work done under the tank area (hold down straps had brocken as well free:eek:)
    Was told the tank was quite clean so it wasnt cleaned just repaired. So i'm pressuming it's just usual moisture.
    Thanks for the info Woz,Phill :)

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

You're not using ethanol blend fuel are you?

6. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Up around Narrabri years ago the fuel came in 44's, that's big drums for those too young. Always was an issue with water and a litre of metho in the tank always worked. I always carry a bottle in the kombis just in case. Works fine and does not effect the running of the vehicle. I have also used the same trick in the outback of NSW when driving an Outback that took a load of petrol with water. Did not effect the injectors but was advised by Subaru to put in a top end cleaner.

7. Adamhadam

Adamhadam New Member

No way, José!

She doesnt like that at all, Always use Premium....................

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  8. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

yes it works

On a recent study of Melbourne metropolitan petrol stations, they found that most have water in their tanks. So we are all getting H2O in our tanks with the petrol. A glug of metho will bind the water molecules and they will burn off in the carbies. So we should all kive our Kombies a drink of metho.....maybe a cold one too! Ha!
    Geoff. :lol:

9. Adamhadam

Adamhadam New Member

What a great thought,being able to share a cold one with ya buddy.
    By the way Geoff also wanted to say I'm looking forward to seeing CammoKombi II or what ever other machine you put together to get you around the sights.

There was an interesting T3 on ebay the other day,An imported porsche engined camper that i reckon you could of done wonders with..

Anyhow I hope the new owners appreiciate the full importance of what the CammoKombi represents.

Adam.

10. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Does anyone know how long it takes for the Metho to work? Should you only have to do this once or a few times to get rid of any water?

Rev.

11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Depends how much water is in it. I'd do it at least twice.

12. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Last time I did this I emptied the fuel out, pluged it back up, put about a litre of metho in then let it out, carries the water out with it

13. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

My experience has been a litre in the full tank and run it as such works well. The effect is almost immediate as the symptoms of water in the fuel disappears. I have not had to do it twice but one day that may come.

14. dbs

dbs Member

worked for me,....
    ;)