1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MG to VW - Not so different

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Graham Hoyle, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Graham Hoyle

Graham Hoyle Active Member

I decided to stop hijacking the" new member" thread and start another one here.

It's been a while since I last posted but the Kombi has received a fair bit of attention. Paint work has finally been completed after quite a few issues. It's not a concourse job but then, I didn't pay for one.

This is a photo of her a one of our beautiful beaches in Bowen.
    z133.JPG

I have turned my attention to the interior, just sorting out door cards. panels etc

z140.JPG
    Door pulls are from a Mazda MX5.
    z137.JPG
    And I have put the rock & roll bed/seat together
    z138.JPG

Installed a volt meter, oil pressure & temperature gauges
    z139.JPG

And a couple of led lights
    z141.JPG

Progress is gathering pace as the interior cabinets will be installed , hopefully before Christmas, the pop top canvas has been ordered, and the upholstery for the rear seats has been decided on.

By far the most significant improvement has been to the engine bay. More to follow on this after I have taken a few photos.

cbus, Muso Em, Wayne murray and 2 others like this.
  2. evan&janine

evan&janine Active Member

Well done Graham theres vw pride on show in Bowen.

3. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Looks great.

Its amazing how many vehicles donate their parts to kombis for various reasons. Door pulls are a good idea.

4. Graham Hoyle

Forgot to mention that I have also replaced all shockies with new KYB units and she rides, and handles, a lot smother now.

I've also had the cab headlining done.
    z142.JPG
    But I'm stumped , at this stage, as to how I can cover the "gap" between the head lining and the pop top.

z143.JPG

I decided to bite the bullet and have my engine rebuilt. After discussion with Geoff Scott (Maryborough, Qld), we decided to rebuild the 1800 engine that I had previously purchased as a spare.

This engine was duly shipped off to Geoff and three weeks later I got a call to say it was ready to install. In the intervening period I had an opportunity to book into the hospital to have a kidney removed and sold so that I could pay for the engine. Still got one left.

I was a bit apprehensive about driving Minty down to Maryborough, a distance of some 900 klm's, as I had no idea of my engines history and I fully expected to break down at some stage.

Friends actually suggested that my wife should drive down behind me in the Subaru as a support vehicle. To my surprise, she just said it would be an adventure whatever happens.

Well Mintie ran like a Swiss clock, absolutely no issues what so ever. Upon arrival in Maryborough, I was tempted to call Geoff and tell him to cancel the order for the new engine.

A few days later the new engine was installed and tuned, a veritable work of art. z144.JPG

Geoff also installed a remote oil cooler as temperatures can be quite high in the far north. For the 900 klm drive home, the temperature gauge NEVER got above 90 even though ambient temp was in the high 30's. I hope the gauge reading is accurate.
    z145.JPG
    I believe that Geoff sells this unit as a kit and it would a worthwhile addition for those with cooling issues.

After that round trip of some 2000 odd klm's I have a lot more confidence in the Kombi. We thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the drive, stopping at places that we had always driven past before.

We can't wait to have her fully fitted out so we can venture further afield to Northern NSW to visit our daughter next year.

Would definitely recommend Geoff Scott, a thoroughly professional VW mechanic and a good bloke as well.

melissa and Marlyn like this.
  5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Like the strip around the interior door cards something that's different .What have you use to do?

6. Graham Hoyle

Hi Wayne,

I bought some blue vinyl and glued it with contact adhesive over the existing (grey) vinyl. Then used adhesive backed chrome trim along the "join". Purchased from ebay. Various widths available.
    Might have to use superglue at the ends to prevent coming loose if knocked.

Wayne murray likes this.
  7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Great looking bus, and excellent work!

Well done! All adds more smiles per mile, as you enjoy the ride. ;)

8. Happy_Camper

Happy_Camper Active Member

For the gap between the roof lining and pop top I used a strip of 3 mm mdf, glued vinyl to the back and let it hang whil I nailed the mdf up, I then glued som thin foam and the stretched the vinyl around and glued it, kinda hard to explain but it worked great and it looks great.

Cheers

9. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Here's a pic of mine mate, may help?

Interestingly, its perforated in the front cab, but black pindoty in the back, due to being a camper

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  10. Graham Hoyle

Thanks Dan,
    I actually came up with a similar approach. but I used the same grey vinyl that I used on the interior cards. I'll take some photos soon.

11. Graham Hoyle

It's been a while since I last posted but that does not mean that things have been quiet on the kombi front. First job was to cover the gap between the new hood lining and the pop top. After receiving some good ideas on the forum, I tried this.

z155.JPG z156.JPG

Also installed a "head Banger" storage unit
    Z151.jpg

And under seat storage, the seat covers ( from Bunnings) are only temporary at this stage until the upholster finishes the full seat
    Z149.jpg

Santa managed to find me at Christmas and brought me a VDO clock gauge and a reversing camera, both of which I have installed. The camera will be very useful as I had previously backed into a pile of pallets at work, could not see them, and slightly damaged the rear bumper bar.

Z146.jpg

I've made provision for a TV/DVD combo which sits above, and between, the front seats, on a bracket held in place by 3 dome nuts which take seconds to put up and take down. The grand kids loved it and spent a lot of time over Christmas watching their DVD's in the Kombi. Sound is provided through a Bose Soundlink Mini Bluetooth speaker, located on the shelf behind the front drivers seat, and is excellent.

My iphone and ipod also plays wirelessy through the speaker so I can take it outside as well.

Z154.JPG

My cabinet maker also got some Christmas spirit and installed part of the interior cabinets. He has still to complete the rear locker boxes to the same height. Very happy with the result so far.

Z148.jpg

My wife is onto making curtains now and I will be able to install them when the tracks arrive. All going well (at the moment).

David H likes this.
  12. chayle

chayle Active Member

Mate looks unreal and have been thinking how to put a tv in mine with the walk through ...

13. Graham Hoyle

The TV bracket was originally designed to fold the TV up into the pop top cavity but I decided against this. Figured that I would only need the TV when we were stopped so made sense to have it removable for storage. Also easily removed from the bus when not on the road. Just made a metal plate to size for the bracket and drilled holes to fit existing mounting holes on TV, and the 3 bolt holes in the pop top frame.
    The Bose (or other ) speaker is great as it is transportable. No wiring to speakers under the rear seat storage area, or anywhere else, required.

David H and chayle like this.
  14. Graham Hoyle

As I'm still waiting for the rear cabinets to be done and the pop top canvas, I have been busy inside.
    The rear seat and mattress cover have been completed but I have to arrange for transport from the upholsterer.

My wife has been busy with the curtains and they are now installed. Like the bedroom, too many cushions!!!!!
    Z162.JPG
    Z157.JPG
    I have installed a fan at the back for warms nights
    And a powered water supply although I did not bother with a sink as it, and the plumbing, takes up too much room. Going to use a collapsible container for now.
    Z161.JPG

I wanted to utilize the space between the seats so I got a center console from a Toyota Hiace on ebay. Fits pretty neatly and the beers are just for show ( maybe).
    XXXX for Queenslanders.

Z158.JPG

The door pocket was liberated from my V8 MG
    Z159.JPG
    I was thinking of creating a storage compartment under the console but I think I will leave it open as it is a useful area. Might just fill in the front and leave the back open.
    Z160.JPG
    I will install a couple of power outlets and a USB outlet at the back of the console in due course.
    So, making some progress but I will be happier when the cabinets are completed and I can install the rear seats. Poptop canvas should be arriving in a week or two.

Wattie and David H like this.
  15. Graham Hoyle

Well we survived cyclone Debbie but Mintie was not so fortunate. The shed that I had her stored in was completely demolished by the extreme winds.
    Unfortunately the wind somehow got under the pop top and tore it off. It was only hanging by one strut so it did not get blown away, a few scrapes but it was not too damaged.
    After the top was blown off, we got 300mm of rain in a hour and a half so the interior got a bit damp :). I think the cabinets are stuffed but everything else should dry out.

Many of the panels have minor scrapes and bruises, one bad one on the rear passengers corner. All in all, I think that we were very fortunate that she was not extensively damaged.

I've put up a few pictures but they do not do justice to the situation.

Looks like the resto has been set back a month or two.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG

Unfortunately the tarp was put on after the deluge, could not get to her for the wind and flying debris.
    I managed to get her started, needed a jump start, but she ran OK. These wonderful vehicles are TOUGH!!!

16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

What an awful set back Graham! :eek:

At least it's fixable, I guess.......:confused:

17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Bugger.
    Glad its not worse tho.
    And you guys are ok.

18. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

terrible to see Graham but glad it wasnt much worse.

A lot of hard work down the drain :(

glad though you were OK

19. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Glad everyone is all ok. At least the kombi held its ground and held onto the roof.

20. Graham Hoyle

Hi Everyone,

Internet has been down for a while, back on now. Thanks for all responses. Yes, the damage could have been a LOT worse especially if the shed had blown in , not out. I've just spent the weekend pulling everything out so it can dry out but the ply floor base, vinyl and carpet has to be replaced. It's a bare shell again now, apart from the curtains.
    Looks like the new cabinets are stuffed from water damage, didn't even get an opportunity to try them out.
    Thought is was going too smoothly to be true.